Is the UN a valid governing body?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Is the UN a good thing?

Yes
36%
No
45%
Maybe..please explain
18%

Total votes : 22

Is the UN a valid governing body?

Unread postby Justin » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:37 am

Ok I have been thinking about this for a while and I want everyones opinion of the UN. Is it a good thing to still have around? Is it effective in dealing with the worlds problems? And more importantly what right do they have to govern other countries? I firmly believe each country should maintain its own sovernty(sp?). However the UN often times steps in and decides what is best for that country or makes decisions regarding what that country should do. Given the situation with the North Korea and Iraq it seems pretty clear the UN does not have the power it needs to deal with the worlds problems. Perhaps the UN should be disbaned or quit trying to act like the rest of the world has some obligation to do as they say.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gravity » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:06 am

Even though the UN may not have the power to deal with some of the world's problems, it will be better if it is still kept in existence. Yes, each nation should deal with their own problems and the likes, but at times, the UN can be acted upon as the mediator.

Would the world truly be better off without UN interference? I say not. The UN does try to settle problems without the use of violence. Sometimes war just comes, and the UN can't do much about it, however, I believe some problems can be settled by the UN without the use of violence.

They may not be doing a good job right now, but the world just can't get rid of the UN.
Gravity
I Got Skillz

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:37 am

If the UN was simply a mediator, a board to come to before wars were declared, I'd say they would be a very good thing. I do think they are fairly effective in mediating as well, though it seems to only work among member nations. That is just one of the many political flounderings of the UN -- many nations that need to be in the UN are not allowed in.

However, I do disagree with the UN's regulations, even human rights regulations. It's not that I support what some countries do, but I don't think it should pass into worldwide moral judgements on a country. Sanctions already are a horrible "cold war" tactic against countries that need imports (I mean things like food, diapers, etc -- not weapons). The UN should be neutrally tolerant. Laws against genocide is one thing; laws against things like women's rights or female circumsicion is another. It seems that most of the time, the UN is crossing the soveriegnity line on humans rights issues.

In short, the UN mediating countries' disputes and providing aid in times of emergency is a good function. The UN being political and attempting to govern countries worldwide is not.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Dennis » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:38 am

I think out of the IGO's that deal with controlling small weak nations, the UN is the best, unlike the World Bank, and the IMF the UN never gives loans with interests rates that they very well know the debtor cannot pay back.

Without the UN East Timor would not exist, I think it is extremely important as a peace keeping force when the US is too slow to mobilize. (Or has interests other than saving said nation.)

I think the US is the only nation that would want the UN disbanded even though it is a US puppet.

I mean, it's kinda like a check and balance, when you use the legislature and the executive offices in the american government, the world without the UN is the US without a senate.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:07 am

Zhou Lide wrote:I think the US is the only nation that would want the UN disbanded even though it is a US puppet.

Ah! I know exactly what you are trying to say! :)

I agree that the UN often functions as the puppet of the USA; however, whenever the UN attempts to uphold the most humanitarian of values (such as human rights), the USA fails to stand up to the values that it claims to embody in favor of economic and political advantage and even seems to resent the UN's scrutiny in such areas (death penalty, arrests without trial, etc.). As a citizen of the USA, I find this trend to be truly abominable.
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Chen Kun » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:03 am

don't u think that UN sometimes look like a big communist dictatorship? :roll:
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:19 pm

i dont think the Un is a good governing body. i dont like the way that control over it is essentailly centered in the hands of only 5 countries (Britian, China, U.S.A, Russia and France (im very curious as to how they got in, considering they surrendered to germany, and its not as if they are a major world player anymore). Then there is the fact that it is based in new york in america, which is hardly a neutral country.
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Travis » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:17 pm

The UN is a squabbling waste of time and money. As anyone can plainly see, it has failed to enforce it's own policies (I.E. Iraq throws out weapons inspectors), and refuses to let anyone step up to do so. The UN was created with a good intentions and did soem good at first, but is about as effective now as the League of Nations was.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han Xin » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:50 pm

The UN could ONLY be a valid body of world governent if they can backed up there threat with REAL action. If they threat a country for so many times without doing anything, then it is the UN itself that loose its credibility. Its remind me how the League of Nations become a useless. :roll:
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Justin » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:21 am

Han Xin wrote:The UN could ONLY be a valid body of world governent if they can backed up there threat with REAL action. If they threat a country for so many times without doing anything, then it is the UN itself that loose its credibility. Its remind me how the League of Nations become a useless. :roll:

Interesting point that both you and Taishi Ci have, but IMO what gives the UN the right to take any action? Is it because the country signed the UN charter?
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs