Dynasty Warriors 8

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 8

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Nah done a bit of injustice and then had a really busy few weeks. Sorry :oops:

Don't have to apologize for not finishing a video game :lol:
DW8 is one of my favorite versions I enjoyed it quite a bit though I liked the Shu story progression more in 7. In 8 Jiang Wei feels pretty much useless, he might as well be a generic officer in this game.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Played the Cai Wenji XL stage. Worrying for her character that in a stage she is named in, she is such a small role but I do enjoy those sort of silly, jokey stages amidst the serious and the dramatic. I enjoyed it quite a bit
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby VRMM » Sun May 31, 2015 7:38 am

Ill put aside all other complaints if I could just figure how to change one thing.

Is there anyway to slow this game down, the move sets are so fast I cannot even tell what is going on most of the time?
VRMM
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:55 am

Wu's hypo has good battles but feels less well organized then Wei's in terms of "you saved so and so, now for the impact".
Characters live... then vanish. Sun Jian does a stupid retirment scene, fights to conquer Wu then vanishes for aeons. Sun Ce's reason for vanishing makes sense but suddenly turns up at Hefei fully fit and exactly same bar lack of ambition? Does feel like if a Wu character gets the sniffles, they have to retire.
The history or novel battle makes sense and is only time I felt keeping characters alive had an impact in any way
with experienced strategists, their wiles able to read Zhang Liao's plans and with HeFei+momentum, Wu can push on.

In terms of giving chance for characters to shine, a few of the die early guard and Wu's strategists get more chance but none had the "wow, I'm liking what they do with Cao Pi." Wei/Jin females stand out rather more then a lot of Wu characters in the hypo. Ending... mixed views on it, I like the cutscenes and the moments but not sure about the logic

Other thoughts+ending
-Why is Wu's story a chance to show how goody two shoes Shu is? Could there be bit more romantic spark between Liu BeixSSX in 9 please.

-Sun Quan the "oh father, brother, please take my power." schitck was annoying. The ending showed a thing they could do instead, the man who can see things from his rivals point of view.

-Ending itself... great last scene for Cao Cao and Cao Pi's moment was sad. Sun Quan's understanding of those was also great. Yet I could never quite shake off the 3 way of peace and love being silly and storing up problems for the future.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:35 am

I just started playing my copy of DW8XL. I have little to compare it against other than DW4 and DW5(+XL).

I will say that some of the new characters and weapon styles are really fun to play, and I actually like the compatibility feature that lets characters wield other weapon-styles. The maps in DW8XL are fun, but nothing out of the ordinary for a DW game. Ladders, swimming and cliff faces make for interesting but ultimately-cosmetic additions to gameplay. I have only done the Wei and Jin story modes thus far, though.

Cao Pi is still my favourite character, of course, though his Musou this time around needs some serious precision targeting to make it do any real damage. It was a real kick to finally be able to play as Guo Jia! (His cane and stress balls weapon style takes some getting used to, but his charge attacks are fun!) But then they went and made him blond. Ughh... oh well. And Wang Yi was pretty interesting, though her backstory could have been fleshed out a bit more in-game - we just know she wanted revenge on Ma Chao, but are never really given the reason why.

For Jin... Sima Zhao actually rose pretty quickly in my esteem. I kind of like how they made Sima Zhao kind of a stoner-slacker character to begin with, and only later do we get to see him become more focussed, and even then they keep him a bit laid-back. (For most of his campaign I had him use Guan Yu's crescent blade.) I've made clear my issues with Jin Wenming elsewhere, though I honestly don't mind her pneumatic blond bombshell avatar since the knife-throwing gives her a fairly fun fighting style. Xiahou Ba takes some serious getting used to - still not sure if I like him or not. And Zhong Hui's flying-swords style is a total blast - I love it! (Too bad both of the latter are dirty rotten traitors to the Jin.)

Voice-acting has notably changed for the better, especially the female voice-acting. Zhang Xingcai no longer sounds like she's strung out on sleepers (yes!). I loved Wang Yi's gruff voice work. Chinese pronunciation still needs a lot of work, but at least they're not saying Cow-Cow this time around.

Anyway, these are just first impressions. Haven't gotten too in-depth yet.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Wang Yi's story must be hard for Koei to write, since they're so determined to have Ma Chao come off as a paragon of virtue, so insinuating that he executed Wang Yi's prisoner son would be a huge departure from what they've usually done with him.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:14 am

Shen Ai wrote:Wang Yi's story must be hard for Koei to write, since they're so determined to have Ma Chao come off as a paragon of virtue, so insinuating that he executed Wang Yi's prisoner son would be a huge departure from what they've usually done with him.

Ehh. Yeah, I guess.

I like my Sanguo stories messy. History is messy. Pure good and pure evil are nice when it comes to fiction, but in history and historical fiction people don't always do what you want them to do.

So I'd be fine with Ma Chao having a dark side, where he kills Zhao Yue alongside a whole bunch of civilians in Nanzheng, and thereby earns Wang Yi's mortal enmity. It would be truer to the spirit both of history and of the novel.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 am

WeiWenDi wrote:
Shen Ai wrote:Wang Yi's story must be hard for Koei to write, since they're so determined to have Ma Chao come off as a paragon of virtue, so insinuating that he executed Wang Yi's prisoner son would be a huge departure from what they've usually done with him.

Ehh. Yeah, I guess.

I like my Sanguo stories messy. History is messy. Pure good and pure evil are nice when it comes to fiction, but in history and historical fiction people don't always do what you want them to do.

So I'd be fine with Ma Chao having a dark side, where he kills Zhao Yue alongside a whole bunch of civilians in Nanzheng, and thereby earns Wang Yi's mortal enmity. It would be truer to the spirit both of history and of the novel.

As would I. If they just accepted that Shu can be dark and shady at times then the story would run smoother. Forcing the perception that one side is inherently good doesn't do justice to the characters (no one here could really say Koei's adaptation of Ma Chao is very riveting).
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby lcklasman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:42 am

Shen Ai wrote:
WeiWenDi wrote:

Ehh. Yeah, I guess.

As would I. If they just accepted that Shu can be dark and shady at times then the story would run smoother. Forcing the perception that one side is inherently good doesn't do justice to the characters (no one here could really say Koei's adaptation of Ma Chao is very riveting).

I think it boils down to the fact that Ma Chao has become a legacy type character in DW with him being a virtuous hero. To be honest, Wang Yi's hatred of Ma Chao is pretty justifiable in real life and her bloodlust actually has reason to it. In DW she just seems like a yangire...
lcklasman
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Given DW's Ma Chao is never going to be allowed to have any flaw other then not worshipping Liu Bei earlier... well ok, bit of a temper, selling Wang Yi's revenge without hitting him or making her seem a bit crazy is a koei challenge. At the moment, it does feel like they slightly move it to the side but Wang Yi is an intresting, charismatic, intelligent woman who I greatly enjoy playing as or fighting against.

Glad your enjoying it WWD!
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training