Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States

Yes, completely legal to everyone
27%
Yes but with restrictions
33%
No, not at all
39%
None of the above
1%

Total votes : 93

Re: Should Marijuana be Legal in the United States?

Unread postby James » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:53 pm

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:If one's financial access to lawyers is a factor in criminal cases, then the system is completely broken. Every case should be brought on merit, nothing more.

This is an unavoidable reality in any culture that depends upon currency. Indeed, it is an unavoidable reality in any culture. If money is not the differentiating factor, another factor such as power or public perception will take its place. You can't really call the system broken on grounds of a complaint which cannot be fixed.

Now, it is fair to say that money buys too much power in the United States. I could get onboard with that. But here, the problem extends beyond the legal system itself. The wealth divide plays a large role in this.

Like almost everything else, it is not so simple as to be boiled down into a single point of right vs. wrong.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:49 pm

In that case, maximum and minimums need to be seriously changed.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:26 am

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:In that case, maximum and minimums need to be seriously changed.

Not sure how you've jumped from one to the other.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:48 am

Well we need to raise minimum sentences so that celebrities pay the price, and lower maximums so that the poor are as screwed over. A patch, sure, but a start.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:43 am

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:Well we need to raise minimum sentences so that celebrities pay the price, and lower maximums so that the poor are as screwed over. A patch, sure, but a start.

If your argument is that the poor are incarcerated at a higher rate than the affluent then The minimum sentences would disproportionately affect the poor.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 am

You're right. Hmmm... Well, perhaps all the best lawyers should have to legally rotate in and out as public defenders to keep their cert.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:10 pm

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:You're right. Hmmm... Well, perhaps all the best lawyers should have to legally rotate in and out as public defenders to keep their cert.

I don't think forcing attorneys to take employment they don't want is fair (or legal) nor does it comport with free enterprise principles. New York (and some firms) require a certain amount of pro bono hours to maintain a license. In NY I believe it is a 50 hour rule, and a few other liberal states are considering the issue. I think pro bono work is great, but as an attorney myself, I find the notion of forced pro bono work cumbersome (though I think attorneys do have a social obligation they should complete).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:I don't think forcing attorneys to take employment they don't want is fair (or legal) nor does it comport with free enterprise principles. New York (and some firms) require a certain amount of pro bono hours to maintain a license. In NY I believe it is a 50 hour rule, and a few other liberal states are considering the issue. I think pro bono work is great, but as an attorney myself, I find the notion of forced pro bono work cumbersome (though I think attorneys do have a social obligation they should complete).

I think it is actually an interesting idea. It wouldn't solve the problem, but if it were implemented on a reasonable scale it could help to a reasonable extent with some of the system's flaws. And seems reasonable on one level as the system has evolved into something which requires lawyers for individuals to function within it.

Not in the sense of legally rotating in and out of it, but rather in the sense of some kind of pro-bono program. And it could well be tied to income levels to the extent that lawyers which haven't established themselves and aren't drawing significant income from the system have more opportunity to do so.

Of course, I can see how such ideas would horrify many Republicans.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:10 pm

Our last Attorney General still did pro-bono work I believe

I don't see much of an issue of requiring lawyers to do a certain amount of pro-bono work to keep their license to practise. By no means will it fix all the issues and I half suspect the lawyers might not do their best work but it might be a start.

Shikanosuke wrote:In NY I believe it is a 50 hour rule,

A year or a month or a week?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
A year or a month or a week?

To be honest, I should have read more carefully. NY requires 50 hours of pro work to be admitted to the NY bar. I'm not sure which states, if any, require actually doing it as a on-going bar membership. I know most states have a piece in their by-laws encouraging attorneys to do pro bono work but they are aspirational and not mandatory.

James wrote:I think it is actually an interesting idea. It wouldn't solve the problem, but if it were implemented on a reasonable scale it could help to a reasonable extent with some of the system's flaws. And seems reasonable on one level as the system has evolved into something which requires lawyers for individuals to function within it.

Not in the sense of legally rotating in and out of it, but rather in the sense of some kind of pro-bono program. And it could well be tied to income levels to the extent that lawyers which haven't established themselves and aren't drawing significant income from the system have more opportunity to do so.

Of course, I can see how such ideas would horrify many Republicans.

Yea, I have mixed feelings on the issue. For one, and to be clear, public defenders are an actual salaried position. So what we're speaking of here is individual attorneys taking on pro-bono cases. I certainly think if we had something of such a nature, looking at income levels may be a decent starting point as the point you make is valid. Flipside is some of the best paid attorneys are the best paid because they either work an insane amount of hours or manage individuals who do. So making them take time out of their schedule to complete mandatory hours will not sit well.

Personally I look at it as a moral matter of social obligation to give back.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs