Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:36 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Doing a movie week so expect a few reviews. Probably none of them (either films or quality of reviews) as cool as WWD's.

Git :P

:lol:

Hey, in my own defence I did review the B-movie cult classic Samurai Cop awhile back, so I figure actually watching movies that are supposed to be good makes up for that.

Dong Zhou wrote:My experience with Transformers suggests the Ninja Turtles will have me: loving April Neill and Vern then the film dragging as soon as the turtles turn up making me resent them. Also one of them will be racist in the sequel. Action will be overlong and increasingly incomprehensible

I don't think I have heard or read a bad review of Guardian's of the Galaxy yet, looking forward to seeing it.

... Ehh. I wasn't actively hating Turtles as much as I actively hated the first Transformers movie. It's just a dumb, brainless action movie - predictable and convenient, but not offensive or insulting. And short. That's a plus. Did I mention that?

Also, re: Guardians.

Watch it. Just do it. Drop whatever it is you're doing and go see it. If it's not out in the UK yet, pitch your teld in front of the cinema and wait in the queue. It's worth it. :D

Sun Fin wrote:I wouldn't compared Guardians to other Marvel films because they (and succeeded) in doing something very different in this film. I also hope they don't try and make other Avenger films like it because the fact is this set of characters are so unique that makes it so damn good!

Okay, I can see that. You really can't do this kind of cinema with anybody else, really, unless you're actively going for another Firefly, and none of the other Marvel properties have the same kind of Underdogs-to-Big Damn Heroes type vibe to them.

~~~

Sooooo... Miami Connection. I've been kind of on a roll with these B-movies recently.

It is... a unique and precious time capsule, back to a point in the '80's when indie filmmakers had neither a sense of self-awareness nor of shame.

It's the heartwarming coming-of-age story of a multiracial taekwondo college garage band, as they are forced into battling middle-aged rockers, hipster-bearded domestic abusers, bikers and drug-dealing ninjas who are struggling for control of the hard streets of Miami, and the wholesome life lessons they learn as they howl in berserker rage and bathe revelingly in the still-warm blood of their freshly-slaughtered enemies.

You may think I'm kidding. I'm not. (NSFW.)

It also features such original and timeless chart-topping hits as 'Against the Ninja' and 'Friends'. Again, listen at your own risk.

As pretty much the sole brainchild of taekwondo master and motivational speaker Young Kun Kim, this movie is utterly awe-inspiring in how endearingly and entertainingly sucky it is, and it fully deserves its newfound cult-classic status. It's really only recommended for people who genuinely enjoy B-movies, but for those people it comes highly recommended.

8.25 / 10
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 am

I sort of watched I, Frankenstein the other day. As in, it was on TV, and I elected to leave it on that channel and kind of look at the movie, in a sense, while nursing a hangover and doing stuff on my PC.

The folks responsible for Underworld are also responsible for this film, which becomes apparent fairly early on, with that Grevioux fellow supplying the script and playing a role. Bill Nighy and Aaron Eckhart are the major names, along with that chick from Chuck the TV series (I could Google her name but I prefer to just call her the Chuck chick).

Gets off to a decent enough start considering the material. There is a war between Hell's demons and Heaven's gargoyles, as we learn. Frankie (Aaron Eckhart) is discovered by the demons not long after causing the deaths of his creator Dr. Frankenstein and his wife, and they try to capture him for their nefarious experiments. Then the gargoyles save the day because they like killing demons, and then take Frankie back to their big honking castle and debate killing him or protecting him. He says bugger it and takes off and kills demons for the next 200 years. After that, something vaguely reminiscent of Blade: Trinity happens, except a bit worse and nonsensical. I think the most engaging part of the movie was when a demon fights Frankie and the Chuck chick's character finds out about the war between demons and, uh, gargoyles.

You know it's bad when Bill Nighy is mailing it in. Pass unless you want to see a "patched together" buff and shirtless Aaron Eckhart in one scene, or really really like the Chuck chick.

-----

So, Interstellar. Following through on the thrilling ride that was Gravity is this blockbuster Christopher Nolan film. I won't go into details of the plot since the movie is still out in theaters, but I will say that it is good but not great. I spent a very long time being hung up on the ending, with details in the spoiler below.

OK, so McConnaughey goes into this black hole - where science is thrown out the window entirely but whatever - and then is able to "go back in time" in a sense, creating a self-fulfilling time loop. Then he is burped up just outside of Saturn, despite previously being in a solar system on the other side of a wormhole, and rescued. Then he sees his kid on her death bed and she tells him to bugger off because he saved the people of Earth, so he hops in a little space ship to head back to that other-side-of-wormhole galaxy (and make babies with Anne Hathaway, probably). Did I get everything?

Sorry, but I can't help but think that he was having a vision before the black hole killed him. It best explains the happy ending. Otherwise, it's just way too hokey for a Nolan film, and leaves me totally unsatisfied. The only other explanation is that future humans from the fifth dimension are able to magically resolve the effects of a predestination paradox - in other words, a god/magic/love did it haha.

That issue aside, there is some good acting all around, and I loved McConnaughey in this (have loved him since seeing Reign of Fire despite his rom-com background), Michael Caine was good, the actresses playing the daughter received high praise but I thought they were just fine, not amazing. The big exception is Anne Hathaway, who is fine but straddled with a campy character that doesn't compel the audience to feel empathy for her because she is not very bright despite being a scientist. You could even almost say that she ends up being the film's main villain in a film that otherwise basically lacks one, because she says or does pretty dumb things at key times. In fact, I would say that this is the film's biggest weakness, aside from a brief tangent by one character...

...played by Matt Damon in a rare bad guy role...

...and a shocking revelation by another character...

...when Michael Caine's character Professor Brand reveals that his formula was never solvable to begin with and everyone left on Earth was doomed...

...there is really nothing for the audience to treat as an antagonist, in my opinion.

The visuals are great, especially in one iconic scene, and the music by Hans Zimmer, although too loud in a few emotional moments, nails it so well the other 98% of the time. They also explore some nice space-related physics themes, such as time dilation and wormholes, without getting too heavy on the science bits.

Definitely a very viewable movie but I personally feel like the ending fell flat due to its absurd nature. There are also issues with Professor Brand selecting someone like Cooper (McConnaughey) for this sort of mission, given what is revealed later.

-----

Snippets

Guardians of the Galaxy: Mostly agree with WWD's review, thought this movie was good. Went in with zero expectations or knowledge of the comic's world, left feeling pleased that I watched a good movie. However, I think it gets a bit too much hype simply because Marvel tweaked the formula and played up the characters' quirkiness. It was certainly a solid effort but I'd still say it's just a great Marvel movie, rather than a great movie.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Skipped it, looked like rubbish. May casually watch it when it hits the TV.

Man of Steel: Watched on TV. Thought it was fine to a point, but it took itself too seriously. Honestly, I preferred the previous one and wish they would have stayed with that reboot.

X-Men: Days of Future Past: Missed it but heard it was really good.

This Means War: Has been on TV a lot. I liked the movie for the most part, actors were fine and worked well together, and the script was light and witty. But the bad guy was a joke, which weakens the film a bit. And it is a rom-com at heart, so it starts off a few pegs down.

Moebius: Caught parts of the end of this Korean film. Very crazy movie, typical of Kim Kideok, as he loves going for shock value and touching heavily on taboo topics. Also has the intriguing choice of zero dialogue.

Even in its censored (for Korean cable television) form, it is definitely an adult film. That said, from the parts that I saw, the actress playing the mother/mistress was phenomenal, and very courageous. I did not even realize she was playing both characters. The story itself is ridiculous to the point of being black comedy.

Edit - Miami Connection. I WANT TO SEE THAT.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:41 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Doing a movie week so expect a few reviews. Probably none of them (either films or quality of reviews) as cool as WWD's.

Git :P

:lol:

Hey, in my own defence I did review the B-movie cult classic Samurai Cop awhile back, so I figure actually watching movies that are supposed to be good makes up for that.

Yes but the point about reviewing supposed to be good movies is to explain how they suck and everyone else is wrong. Have I taught you nothing?

... Ehh. I wasn't actively hating Turtles as much as I actively hated the first Transformers movie. It's just a dumb, brainless action movie - predictable and convenient, but not offensive or insulting. And short. That's a plus. Did I mention that?

It actually sounds like I expected it to be but I'll probably end up watching it some time anyway. Sometimes I like a brain action movie

Also, re: Guardians.

Watch it. Just do it. Drop whatever it is you're doing and go see it. If it's not out in the UK yet, pitch your teld in front of the cinema and wait in the queue. It's worth it. :D

It came out here but as the family prefers TV over cinema, I'll look forward to it coming around on TV. Having recently got Skymovies, that should mean a lot shorter time before it comes out

Zyzyfer wrote:I sort of watched I, Frankenstein the other day. As in, it was on TV, and I elected to leave it on that channel and kind of look at the movie, in a sense, while nursing a hangover and doing stuff on my PC.

Yvonne Strahovski is the name your looking for. I had seen it on the TV schedules so was wondering about it, you mentioned Underworld and Strahovski so interest picked up but by sound of it, not worth watching.

====

Watched the children's film The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie with Spongebob going on an important adventure. I do like Spongebob, a silly show with amusing characters and sometimes some fun songs so was amazed I hadn't seen this movie though feared it would either be an episode stretched out or a poor adaptation.

I liked they way they did the traditional theme song in a new way and for once I enjoyed the live-action moments. The cartoon very much captures the characters like Spongebob, Mr Krabs, Patrick and remains faithful: it has the silly humour and all the details of Bikini Bottom one would expect, the characters are right, there are some pleasant and silly songs. The adventure is a good one, allowing plenty of chances for humour, avoids dragging and a good pace. The only issue was it made one change from the show and that didn't work
King Neptune was changed, amusing enough but slightly for the worse and his sudden daughter was slightly irritating and a bit of a plot pusher

Rating: Not a classic spongebob but a good spongebob
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:16 am

Watched a Eastwood/Don Siegel drama The Beguiled. Premise: Yankee soldier John McBurney (Eastwood) is injured but rescued by young Amy (Pamelyn Ferdin) and taken to a Confederate supporting school for girls/young ladies.

Bit of an odd film. As a straight out drama of a enemy soldier trapped in a place with rival females of various ages (middle age, 20's, 17 year old and a child's love all represented), all without men folk for some time, it does well. Good dialogue, sets up characters like headmistress Martha (Geraldine Page), teacher Edwina (Elizabeth Hartman), the witty slave Hallie (Mae Mercer), the young Carol (Jo Ann Harris) and Amy well so they stand out by themselves, the romantic tension clicks, a bit of humour. The film might have benefited from a better suited actor then Eastwood, he did fine but he wasn't great and someone with a bit more charisma,
a bit more of manipulator about him
might have enhanced things.

The film also tries to do other stuff, too much other stuff, and it is mixed on that. The mystery parts work well, if anything wish I had known more about one or two things
Martha and her brother
but it seems to want to add a horror element and that doesn't work. When one is doing a romantic scene and the woman involved
Martha
is being shot in a way films shoot serial killers, it doesn't help. That sort of lack of subtly with the horror element plagues the film, all it lacks are appropriate thunderstorms and an Igor. A bit of pruning so some of the themes it runs with could have got more time rather then one or two scenes might have helped the film (or sadly, drop some of the tantalising but under-explored themes). The big criticism I would have is the ending phase just loses it's grip, goes a bit weird and I was never drawn back in so much even when it got back on track

Overall: Score dips due to ending. Interesting on the basic theme but could have been done much better
Both: 6.0
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:22 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Yvonne Strahovski is the name your looking for. I had seen it on the TV schedules so was wondering about it, you mentioned Underworld and Strahovski so interest picked up but by sound of it, not worth watching.

It's quite similar to the first Underworld in terms of the basic plot, two groups of mythical creatures battling it out over some weird dude. But without the niche appeals of that movie: political intrigue, gore/violence, and a lead actress in a form-fitting pleather outfit. There is only a half-hearted attempt at the first, the second is subverted by how the creatures are vanquished, and I have no idea why they cast the Chuck chick in what was effectively a docile role. Not exactly Damsel in Distress, more like Geek in Too Deep. It's a shame, because some of the Underworld movies are a guilty pleasure for me.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:59 pm

I do enjoy Underworld as well.

Whether that helps or increases your guilt, I'm not too sure :wink:

Dong Zhou wrote:Watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs which had a great opening few minutes, even before the title sequence. It also had a strong, moving ending. The bits in-between? It is just under fine, nice but just avoids going into boring at times rather then anything more, seen a lot better animated family films of late. Having said that it has some original touches, voice work is good, romance is merely alright, humour isn't as often as I was hoping but only really warmed to a few characters, like Officer Earl Devereaux (Mr T). The mayor (Bruce Campbell) was hilarious.

Me: 6.0, Sister 6.5

Saw the sequel which felt a better movie. Like the first film it starts and ends well, has a credit sequence worth staying longer for, good voice work. It is better at keeping the humour going, there is less drifting particularly after a certain point
they get to the island
, it has some nice nods to certain films
Jurassic park
and some inventive ideas. Romance is still merely alright, has a good villain, the monkey Steve is still awesome and some moving moments
major spoiler
Officer Earl Devereaux (Terry Crews replacing Mr T) realizing it is manly to cry
I wish they had cut some of the returning characters who were barely used and by sticking to simplified versions of the squeezed characters as in Brent McHale's (Andy Samberg) case, they made him annoying.

Overall: Improves sequel, funny and warm
Me: 6.5, Sis: 6.0

====

Watched the Spanish thriller, part horror, The Body/"El cuerpo" from Oriol Paulo. Premise: Detective Jaime Peña (José Coronado) has just come back from visiting his daughter when he is called to a morgue. The body of the recently deceased rich businesswoman Mayka Villaverde (Belén Rueda) has gone missing.

Film takes a bit of time to get going and the characters are a bit cliché (a troubled detective? Never seen that before) but once it gets going, it is a good film. A good cast (like Aura Garrido), the characters are intresting and the relations between figures like Mayka and her husband Álex (Hugo Silva) are fascinating to observe. The thriller has many twists and turns while the horror element does have it's effect, made me jump once or twice, the film able to use light or music (November by Nikol Kollars) to enhance a moment. The ending was good but felt the tension had drained in the end phase a little before then, that my mind had started to drift.

Overall: Good thriller with some scares and good relations

Me: 7.0, Sis: 6.0

=====

Saw Final Destination 2, my thoughts on the original here.

Starts better then the first film, the vision and the "they didn't die" scenes and the dialogue was funny early on, film draws a bit of tension then the moment is spectacular and entertaining. Was also fun seeing Keegan Connor Tracy, Justina Machado, lead A.J. Cook,
Ali Larter
and Aaron Douglas but while Tracy and Machado could be funny, the performances were merely fine at best. After the opener, the film is... just about alright, the sort that made a nice enough time but unsure about watching the third. Some of the early deaths are great but most lack a sense of suspense or a sense of the spectacular and without that, it means the film is lacking in it's key component. Meanwhile the main romance is flat, some of the characters are nice but others are meh, some of the dialogue is poor and though the film's logic makes sense, it didn't click when I heard it.

Overall: Just about fine but underwhelming

Both: 5.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Watched two big movies yesterday: The Amazing Spiderman (the first one of the reboot) and Les Misérables

First up The Amazing Spider-Man. My spiderman expirence: Enjoyed the cartoon in my youth, mostly becuase I enjoyed the humour of Peter Parker. Quite liked the original trilogy of Sam Raimi with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst as the two leads. Given the trilogy went on from 2002-2007, doing a new one under Marc Webb so soon seemed odd to my sister and I.

The film does go in a different enough way to avoid "seen this before" like replacing Mary Jane with Gwen Stacey (Emma Stone)
or revealing his secret identity to so many
and it is a nice fun movie. Impressive action shots, Spiderman swinging through the air is as good as one would hope, good special effects and sound (bar a bit of mumblecore). The film logic isn't always the best
big spoilers
Oscorp have the worst security in the history of the planet and it is hard to believe that Peter Parker has ability in so many spheres.
, action is decent, film has good villain. The cast is good with the likes of Rhys Ifans as Dr Connors, Denis Leary as the police captain and Chris Zylka as Flash Thompson. I love the film's Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field), they make a good partnership with jokes, love and warmth though the film/Peter has a clear bias to male relatives.

Spiderman needs humour and fortunately the film has a nice amount of it, whether it be Peter (Andrew Garfield), Gwen, Uncle Ben or use of props but the humour during fights, or rather Spiderman's "wit" during them, tends to be more miss then hit. As for the leading couple, individually good performances but the romance lacks enough spark to really work and felt that the character of Gwen was slightly underdeveloped. The film also lacked emotional punch when required bar one scene
the cranes

Overall: Fun spiderman film with humour, good villain and likeable characters
Me: 7.0, Sis: 6.5

====

Saw Tom Hooper's adaptation of the musical Les Misérables

Visually impressive film, includes the less famous songs (if changing some) so quite lengthy and pacing not always great
elements of the ending felt rushed
, sound quality good. Certainly darker then I was expecting at times with an excellent eye for human nature. Strong make up and costume work, good use of recurring musical themes. Les Miserables had been something I looked forward to, I do like the musical and a lot of its songs so was interested to see how this big budget adaptation did...

Started quite well with some good songs, wasn't drawn into the two leads, but the darkness, some decent songs and odd bit of comedy worked. Then after a certain point
Valjean takes Cossette and heads to Paris
, it dips. Emotional power was lacking and the songs failed to rouse, indeed the best bit for a long time was non-singing
the rebels pleading to be let in but old supporter shutting their shutters, leaving them to their well done deaths
but also logic failing once or twice
major spoiler
soldiers shock at Gavroche dying despite taking repeated shots at him. Did they think the bullets would turn into unicorns?
. It didn't drag for me, did for my sister, but it meant I wasn't drawn in, I could admire the singing technique but only drawn into the songs, felt it, for a few seconds or with one character
Éponine
. The last few minutes of the film are really strong and powerful and I regret most of the film, particularly the second half, rarely came close to that.

I felt it fell into an old trap: Get good actors who are good singers but don't seem good musical actors. People who can act and sing at the same time, altering the way they sing to fit the mood, to add emotion or humour. I would rather have had Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo, who tend to sing a tad too high for my tastes, becuase they can play on emotion in singing better then a lot of this cast.

There are a few who get that emotional punch in: Anne Hathaway got rave reviews and rightly so, playing Fantine in her own way and stamping her own mark on the songs. Samantha Barks (debut) as Éponine stood out in a part of the film that was lacking, she seemed the most suited to a musical among her co-stars in that part of the film. The child Isabelle Allen (debut) as young Cosette and original board-way member Colm Wilkinson as the priest also did well, should probably give credit to Daniel Huttlestone's Gavroche but the little urchin was really annoying.

Two of the least impressive singers were some of the best members of the cast: the innkeepers played by Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter (her initial singing was dreadful). Cohen and Carter aren't going to aim for the high-notes, they aren't going to win points for their singing technique. Yet they were two of the best figures in the film, they used their songs as patter, they played for comedy as they sang, they used psychical comedy, their scenes were funny.

As for the others, Amanda Seyfried and Eddie Redmayne as the lovers of the musical made a capable duet, were good singers (Seyfried has her own style), good actors but rarely pulled me in when they sung. Redmayne fell into the trap of thinking loud=power when he was getting more emotion during quieter passes of one song
empty chairs and empty tables
and as a romance, there was only limited spark between them. Crowd songs were again technically good but again, no emotional hold. For example, "Can you Hear the People Sing" never got the blood pumping like other versions have. Those used for them like Aaron Tveit were, like Seyfried, good technically but unable to make me feel.

I did think the two leads were really lacking, which was surprising given Hugh Jackman's experience in musicals. It took till about the last five minutes for him to make any pull on my heart
he did for moments during "Bring Him Home", when it was quiet like a lullaby but too often went for power
, he wasn't a bad singer but I have heard Valjean sung with a lot more character and humanity. Russell Crowe as Javert, didn't feel he captured the character at all and so when it came for the big moments, felt nothing.

Overall: I had a nice time and some really good moments but some of the songs were disappointingly done.
Me: 6.5, Sis: N/A
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Watched the modern version of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I would have swapped titles around so this one would be Dawn of.... I thought it was the sequel to Tim Burton's film but apparently the start of a reboot? Not sure how to do a premise for this one.

Looks good though one or two occasions where special effects didn't quite seem real enough, good sound quality, nice nods to Planet of the Apes. Bit of a mixed bag as a film overall, on the positive side, the relationships and dynamics between human characters or the apes, some good dramatic moments near the end, it has one theme that is intelligent
major spoilers
how humanity in its experiments, could end up killing themselves through greed and laxness
. Cast not bad either though only John Lithgow really shines. At its best, one watched Ceaser's development with intrest, one enjoys relations changing between characters.

Yet the execution was never perfect. Logic holes seemed to flare up at times, particularly in the beginning where my sister and I were left scratching our heads at human behaviour or the leaps required, the main romance lacks a little spark, characters outside Ceaser never quite got the same development. Also the film only being 93 minutes really seems to hurt it, another half an hour could have done wonders. A few times, a scene felt like it needed five or so minutes build in or another scene building the character to explain why s/he acted like that.

Overall: Fine
Me: 6.0, Sis: 6.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:40 am

Recently rewatched Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Both mid-90's camp classics based on fighting games.

Mortal Kombat, surprisingly, is actually a halfway-decent martial-arts film, considering it's based on a notoriously violent video game. The characters make sense and bounce off each other well; Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonja Blade make for a fairly interesting motley crew. And Christopher Lambert naturally steals the show as Raiden - because he's Lambert, he comes off as badass even when he's giving goofy grins and giving comical clouts to the mooks in his martial arts scenes. It's a tricky fine line to walk, having a serious mentor figure in a movie like this who also brings a genuine and heartfelt brand of humour to the role.

The effects are actually quite decent, and the actors clearly put a lot of effort and heart into their roles. Lindon Ashby clearly learned real martial arts for the sake of doing this one. (And, of course, he also gets best one-liner in the movie.) A lot of the dialogue is seriously cornball. Lots of monologuing from Lambert about how, in order to win at Mortal Kombat, each of the characters must overcome his or her deepest fears. And Shou Wan Por himself comes across as convincing only when he's serious. When he puts on his comic / joking face, he tends to come off like a jerkwad (which is perhaps intentional, but given that he's supposed to be the empathetic main character it does detract a bit from the emotional impact of his quest for revenge). And there are parts where it still feels a bit lightweight. There's a noticeable romantic tension / chemistry between Sonja and Johnny which gets introduced and never really gets explored, while the relationship between Liu Kang and Kitana feels a bit forced at points.

All in all, it's a fun, brainless action flick which never gets boring, which has a story which is fairly straightforward and easy to follow, and which has a certain amount of charm to it. Plus, Christopher Lambert is awesome.

To be honest, the only other movie based on a video game I like as much as this one is DOA: Dead or Alive. And that mostly on account of the... um, fight choreography. :P

7.5 / 10

Street Fighter, on the other hand, is in the so-bad-it's-good camp.

It certainly has an all-star cast: Jean-Claude van Damme, Raúl Juliá, Kylie Minogue, Wes Studi (!!), Ming-Na Wen. And they also clearly put a lot of effort into their roles. Raúl Juliá's pompous, strutting, preening, megalomaniacal General M. Bison again has this epic quality, and he delivers his lines with scenery-chewing conviction, but the lines themselves are just ridiculous.

It is a very funny movie - there are a lot of explicit visual gags, situational humour and jokes in the movie that work quite well (especially anything Zangiev says), in addition to all the unintentionally-hilarious bad dialogue (usually coming from van Damme's Guile: 'You've made me a happy man.' 'Next, I'll make you a dead one.') The plot is so full of holes it would work as a cheese-grater, and a lot of the characters themselves never make it past two-dimensional archetypes. But that isn't really the point!

Anyway, it's the sort of bad movie I enjoy on occasion; though it's a little too intentional and a little too fluffy to have the same kind of charm a movie like Samurai Cop or Miami Connection does, it's still a definite fun ride.

6.5 / 10
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:44 am

Think I watched Mortal Kombat some years ago, never played either of the games

Watched I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, a sequel to I know what you did Last Summer.. Premise: A year on, Julie James (Jennifer Love Hewitt) is still haunted by events but when her friend Karla Wilson (Brandy Norwood) wins a holiday to the Bahamas. Hint, this is a horror film, it doesn't go well :wink:

Started rather mixed, two good early horror scenes mixed with the cast failing to click when acting alongside each other, the dialogue could feel clunky and I almost pulled out. Overall the horror is a bit of a mixed bag, there are some good tense scenes but also a lot that fall flat while it's constant use of "something might be there, tension tension, tension, oh wait nothing" means those scenes lose their effect.

Story rather more bare then first film but still keeps you guessing as to who is the killer, some side characters make a quick impact but the four friends (Julies, Karla, Tyrell (Mekhi Phifer) and Will (Matthew Settle) don't gel as easily as the first film's set though do become less forced. Was good to see Jennifer Esposito, Bill Cobbs and John Hawkes though the uncredited Jack Black's character is annoying. It is a passable film with a strong ending phase despite erratic acting in the big reveal
major spoiler
Settle does well going from bland to cold but then overeggs it a bit while Muse Watson was disappointing.
. Somewhat shoots it's own ending in the foot by it's own logic
major spoiler
Is it just a dream again or is she actually doomed this time?
which is a pity given the quality of the scene.

Overall: Passable, some good horror
Me: 6.0, Sis: 5.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub