Merlin

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Merlin

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:41 am

Dong Zhou wrote:New season starting next Saturday I believe

Just to clarify, not this Saturday (that is Doctor Who) but the one after

Laojim, Angel Coulby is English so not sure if you mean this program or another
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:09 pm

I think he meant that she doesn't look pre-Arthurian English!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 am

SunXia wrote:I think he meant that she doesn't look pre-Arthurian English!!

The pre-Arthurian English (or Saxons, as they were then known) would probably not have been particularly welcome at Arthur's court, so... I say bring 'er on!
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby laojim » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:New season starting next Saturday I believe

Just to clarify, not this Saturday (that is Doctor Who) but the one after

Laojim, Angel Coulby is English so not sure if you mean this program or another

There are theatrical situations in which the person who can best play the role gets it and there are situations, particularly common lately, I think, in which one chooses actors to make some point or other. I was watching the five hour film of Mahabharata in which one of the main characters is played by a clearly African man but it's hard to know if he was the best man for the part or if was supposed to be a southern, and therefore darker skinned, Indian. I just find it odd because in the case of every other character in the show great care was taken with appearance and makeup so it is unlikely that her appearance was considered irrelevant to the part.

There is, elsewhere, quite a lot of discussion of this matter. Someone goes to a lot of trouble to claim that in the sixth century in England there may have been "mixed race" people who might have played the part. Of course the problem with that is that in the sixth century the part would have been played by a man.

In conclusion, since there is no such thing as race it is impossible to have someone of mixed race.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby laojim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 am

I just happened to be listening to Late Night Live, also known as In Bed With Phillip, on Radio Australia. He interviewed a woman who was involved with an excavation of a graveyard in Ipswich in England. The graveyard included the skeleton of an African. I not not catch the time, but it was generally associated with the era of the crusades. According to the woman Ipswich was something of a crossroads of the world at the time so it was perfectly possible for an African to be there. There are other references to Africans in England in Tudor times.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:27 pm

Didn't get to see it yesterday, so hopefully today I will.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:12 am

WeiWenDi wrote:

The pre-Arthurian English (or Saxons, as they were then known) would probably not have been particularly welcome at Arthur's court, so... I say bring 'er on!

I don't know that I would regard the Saxons as pre-Arhurian - they were the invaders, after all (well, after the Celts and the Romans). Prior to Arthurian times, the population would be best described as Romano-British - Celtic peoples that had incorporated Latin and Roman bureaucracy etc into their lives. It would be precisely at the times when the Saxons etc were invading that the local war chieftains such as Arthur would have been rising up to drive them off (or try). As for the English, that word actually derives from the Angles, another Norse/Germanic people that invaded England (Angle-land).

I guess I could actually talk about what everyone is referring to...

Look, it's a dramatization. If this is the only quibble with (potential) realism that someone might see in the show, that person is being silly.

Regardless of whether we would think it likely for someone of a non-white ethnicity to be present during this period, the whole thing's already fantasy anyway, so who cares?

Adrian
Last edited by Liu Yuante on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Oh indeedy!! It's not like it's a show that is focusing on realism!! It's got magic, a dragon and hell, it hasn't been proven that Arthur even existed, it's a story to most!! It's meant to be a fun television show (I think, I don't watch it, it and Robin Hood and Dr. Who aren't my thing in terms of style in TV) and not really meant to be historically accurate, despite that even being difficult to achieve anyway with Arthur!! Actually I strongly disliked Camelot the series!!

But alas, no matter what with these things, people will always nitpick, you only have to look at people moaning about females being in the DW games or any games where there's fighting and yet there's people there firing lasers from feathers and they don't bat an eye!! In the end I love History but I understand that for entertainment values, accuracy must be sacrificed here and there for good story telling and attract more viewers!! So rather than the disclaimers saying "This is a true story" I prefer highlighting and using the words "BASED on a true story" because the details are never going to be there exactly!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby laojim » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:37 am

SunXia wrote:Oh indeedy!! It's not like it's a show that is focusing on realism!! It's got magic, a dragon and hell, it hasn't been proven that Arthur even existed, it's a story to most!! It's meant to be a fun television show (I think, I don't watch it, it and Robin Hood and Dr. Who aren't my thing in terms of style in TV) and not really meant to be historically accurate, despite that even being difficult to achieve anyway with Arthur!! Actually I strongly disliked Camelot the series!!

But alas, no matter what with these things, people will always nitpick, you only have to look at people moaning about females being in the DW games or any games where there's fighting and yet there's people there firing lasers from feathers and they don't bat an eye!! In the end I love History but I understand that for entertainment values, accuracy must be sacrificed here and there for good story telling and attract more viewers!! So rather than the disclaimers saying "This is a true story" I prefer highlighting and using the words "BASED on a true story" because the details are never going to be there exactly!!

All correct, except that TV, of all media, is obsessive about a certain form of realism and one supposes, when the makeup is clearly other than what is expected, that it is done for a reason. One may reasonably wonder what those reasons are. When Doctor Who came upon Queen Victoria XV ( I think it was the fifteenth) and she was clearly Caribbean it was enough to give a sense of much time and change. As I suggested above, elsewhere the role of Gwen would be played by a man, or by the one who could read the line most convincingly. To pick nits would be to point out that at the time represented in the drama there would have been no black Caribbeans, just Indians, and none of them were in the English nobility.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Mordred isn't a very handsome fellow is he? I mean, I wasn't expecting Santiago Cabrera, but I someone around Gwain at least.

And the 'Key' scared the hell out of me. What where they going for with that?
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub