The World Economics Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The World Economics Thread

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Is there any truth to the statements that China may bail out the failing European countries? Like Italy, Portugal and Greece?

That would seem extremely unlikely. Firstly, China doesn't strike me as a country that has any real willingness to float another unless perhaps there was some advantage for doing so. Secondly, what would be the advantage of doing so?
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Bad economies in the EU and U.S. are bad for China's economy because we're talking about hundreds of millions of loyal customers. China has a growing domestic demand but it still relies on foreign customers to drive growth, and the Party needs growth to maintain stability and keep people happy with the current system. The narrative of the People's Republic bailing out the floundering european capitalist democracies would also lend a tremendous amount of clout to the nation on the international scene and impress the domestic audience.
"We can't mortgage our childrens' future on a mountain of debt," - Barack Obama
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 pm

That's a fair argument for bailing out the PIGS, but consider Dagong, China's most prominent credit rating agency. Italy is rated BBB, Portugal BB+, and Greece a firm C. (China, of course, is AAA, and the U.S is less solid than Saudi Arabia and Chile, apparently). Now I know Dagong doesn't speak for China, but I think it is some evidence that they would see such a venture as too risky to attempt.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:29 am

So What happened to Greece?
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Somewhere In Counterstrike Source Getting Headshoted!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:21 am

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:So What happened to Greece?

Recently or to start them into the recession or?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm

What recently happened to Greece, i should have asked. Did they get a controlled default? I heard something about them going off the euro?
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:02 pm

My understanding is that Greece has been arguing a lot with the EU, not fulfilled what the EU demands so the bailout funds are being withheld and one Greek party is refusing to agree to abide by the cuts if they get elected.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:45 am

Poor Mr. Glezos....
But jeez, total anarchy or civil war are next!!

I still cant get around why cant every country just drop all the debt from everyone, forget about what they had, and start the hell over all again, like pushing the reset button on the entire world economy, why cant we all just forget about the object we call money and start the hell over!>?
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:31 am

Because that would be unfair on the prudent countries, lead to the collapse of the banking sector, potentially bankrupt those who are also owed money and sets a bad precedent?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs