Technology: Can we do w\o it?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Technology:what could we do without?

all of it, go back to the simple life
36%
none of it, life would suck w\o cars or tall buildings
5%
some of it, cell phones and palm computers are just too much
18%
make more! the computers are too slow as it is
41%

Total votes : 22

Technology: Can we do w\o it?

Unread postby Sun jian » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:25 pm

i'd like to know, from all who are interested, how life would be w\o technology. would life be more or less chaotic? would people enjoy their lives more? how would things be different if we had horses instead of cars? how would it be like to walk and not be rushed? i personally think life is too rushed; there are too many deadlines to be met for us to enjoy life. i'd like more insight before furthering my opinion; i'd like to see how others feel about a life with technology compared to a life w\o it...........
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:31 pm

Personally very boring.If it hadn't have been for technology we would not have played dynasty warriors or known almost nothing about the three kingdoms and last point computers wouldnt have been invented.Thanks for the sword tips :D
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:36 pm

All of it! Take us back! :lol:

Imagine a world in which the latest fad was good wine over a game of backgammon. Wonderful! :wink:
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Sun jian » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:39 pm

Guan Ping wrote:Personally very boring.If it hadn't have been for technology we would not have played dynasty warriors or known almost nothing about the three kingdoms and last point computers wouldnt have been invented.Thanks for the sword tips :D

i could do w\o most of it. a ranch, w\horses, a sword, and my family would be all i need to be happy. call me old fashioned but this world is far too chaotic for me. people on a phone everywhere, cars speeding by on busy freeways, crowds in every store, etc. it's just too much and industry is to blame, in my opinion. plus, there still would be books to read about the three kingdoms! :wink: 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun jian » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:42 pm

Tianshan Tzu wrote:All of it! Take us back! :lol:

Imagine a world in which the latest fad was good wine over a game of backgammon. Wonderful! :wink:

now we're talkin! :D things have gotten too big for us to enjoy such things and it can be the smallest things that can make us happy.
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:45 pm

Sun jian wrote:now we're talkin! :D things have gotten too big for us to enjoy such things and it can be the smallest things that can make us happy.

Right. There's nothing like a good fire, good food and drink, and good conversation to make me extremely happy. Throw in a good card game or board game and I'm fully content. :)
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Travis » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:14 pm

Make more I say, though sometime I wish it were the good old days....
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rcsha » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:22 pm

Although the lack of technology would make a video game company obsolete, I'd much rather go back to swords and spears and real military tactics.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Sun jian » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:29 pm

rcsha wrote:Although the lack of technology would make a video game company obsolete, I'd much rather go back to swords and spears and real military tactics.

i agree. 8-) all this stuff about nuclear weapons is just another way industry has caused a cold war among nations who wouldn't normally be enemies. technology has caused many conflicts that wouldn't exist if there was real strategy. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:00 pm

Guess it depends on how you define technology? Is technology a hammer, a beautiful sword, a rifle, or a new car? Sure, humanity could survive just fine without technology in any form (I suppose we would want to keep spears and such around), but the real question is would we want to? I may not care for weapons of mass destruction, or even guns, but it would be a damn shame to loose my computer and the Internet in favor of knowing the few in my local area. The loss of knowledge would be a sad price to pay.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Current Affairs