A Song of Ice and Fire

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:49 am

The books are basically the TV show with more characters and backstory, which i really like. I'm just about finished with 2, working on getting the whole series finished. Can't wait to see who is cast to play Melisandre, i will be somewhat surprised if Eva Green isnt cast as her. I'm half expecting to see most of the cast of Camelot as the new game of thrones characters. Joseph Fiennes or Clive Standen would work as Stannis.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elven Fury » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Oh, Stannis is the big one for me. I cannot wait to see who is cast for him. That will make or break season 2.
Also, with two Harry Potter stars already there, maybe they'll cast someone from there as well for the other characters. I could see Ralph Finnes as Jaqen, and Bonnie Wright as Ygritte. :lol: (May be a bit much ha)
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elven Fury » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Double post ^^; but it's relevant.

Quote: "Melisandre will be played by Carice van Houten, a Dutch stage and film actress. She’s appeared in the movies Valkyrie and Repo Men. I think you’ll agree she looks just about perfect for Melisandre.
And Stannis will be played
British actor Stephen Dillane, best known to U.S. audiences by playing Thomas Jefferson in HBO’s John Adams."

Not who I was expecting. From the photos Dillane doesn't look how I pictured stannous. We'll see.
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:52 am

I dont really agree with the Melisandre casting. She just doesnt have the dark all powerful sorceress look i imagined. She looks like she would could be any random villagers wife. Stannis' actor has potential. Not exactly what i imagined from the pictures i have seen of him, but once hes fully costumed he should be able to pull it off. I do have to say though regarding melisandre... are they ever gonna get a gorgeous woman to play a woman who is supposed to be gorgeous? Catelyn is a good 10 years older than she rightfully should be and not much of a looker. Cersei is just MEH in every sense of the word. Its like they ugly up the beautiful people and make characters like Brienne and Tyrion end up comparatively good looking.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 am

Where is the discussion about 'A Dance with Dragons'???????

You've all been very lax I must say. I've got another 100 pages to go and my thoughts so far is that I haven't enjoyed it as much as the prequals. The plot is too spread out with too many POVs and they don't often link back. The redeming features are Jon Snow and Daenerys plot lines.

Bran is just ridiculas and the Imp is amusing as ever but his dwarf plot line while humanising him takes away from the power play I like. His just joined Ben Plum and I think his about too become more interesting.

Also the introduction of Griff and young Dragon could be cool if they play it well.

Its got better now with the re-introduction of Lannister and Dorne characters and I'm hopeful that the next book will be back to the standard I expect from him. In all honesty The Red Wedding killed me a little bit inside so it may be that I'm just not over that yet.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the middle of no-where; in other words Lampeter, Wales!

Unread postby Elven Fury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Where is the discussion about 'A Dance with Dragons'???????

You've all been very lax I must say. I've got another 100 pages to go and my thoughts so far is that I haven't enjoyed it as much as the prequals. The plot is too spread out with too many POVs and they don't often link back. The redeming features are Jon Snow and Daenerys plot lines.

Bran is just ridiculas and the Imp is amusing as ever but his dwarf plot line while humanising him takes away from the power play I like. His just joined Ben Plum and I think his about too become more interesting.

Also the introduction of Griff and young Dragon could be cool if they play it well.

Its got better now with the re-introduction of Lannister and Dorne characters and I'm hopeful that the next book will be back to the standard I expect from him. In all honesty The Red Wedding killed me a little bit inside so it may be that I'm just not over that yet.

Will we ever be over the Red Wedding? That's one of my top three all time book moments....

Still I am only about 400 pages in... ashamed of it, but so busy. Alas, so far it's the pace of the book that I am struggling with. The only quick parts have been Tyrion. But I foresee Dany getting much better.
If the other Dragon doesn't spoil it for her.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:06 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just got to page 912 and !!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe he killed Jon Snow!!!!

This is the most shocked I've been since Martin pulled the Red Wedding.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Sun Fin wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just got to page 912 and !!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe he killed Jon Snow!!!!

This is the most shocked I've been since Martin pulled the Red Wedding.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Why did I have to press 'show' and read the spoiler! Now that will forever be in my memory when I go back to reading the books. Curse you curiosity!!!! :|
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 pm

I thought I was the only one into Game of Thrones and the Novel :shock:
Ive been following it from its first air on HBO
Me and ma Dad watch it :)
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 am

Finally finished 'A Dance With Dragons'.

My mate told me the epilogue was shocking. Yes the Lannister cause has just died a little bit more but I think we all knew that they were on the way down following Tywin's death. We already knew that Varys was working for the dragons so while I didn't see it coming I was far more shocked by Jon Snow. He was one of the few (along with maybe Danny and The Imp) who I expected to surivive the series!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy