The Fitness thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Fitness thread

Unread postby GuoBia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:56 am

Well, kinda, but more like the stuff produced from the oxidation of fat and the subsequent entry of acetyl-coa into the Kreb's cycle doesn't contribute to the synthesis of amino acid, meaning that it doesn't contribute to muscle. XD
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 am

It seems this is more than just a Romance of the Three kingdoms community...
but I like using adjustable dumbells at home.

Try this, back to back, no rest:

Dumbell Curls
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Upright Row
Bent over Row
One arm Row
4 second down pushups

Get 8-12 reps per exercise and you're good.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:52 am

RTK is important and so is staying fit. :D

Kids, when you have a sports-related injury, don't try to just "man up" and tough it out. Make sure you get it checked out---injuries caught early are much easier to treat. I pushed myself too hard with the hiking even with the bad knee, and now I think my hiking/running season is over.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Lady Wu wrote:RTK is important and so is staying fit. :D.

Very true.

Also, maintaining a good diet is just as important. Fat calories should never go above 25% of your diet (it should be lower if you are an intense athlete), and the carb-protein ratio depends on how active you are. If you are an intense athlete who does 10+ hours of intense cardiovascular and/or muscular exercise, 60% of your diet may need to be carbs; normally it would be lower at about 40%.

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby memeo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:42 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:
Lady Wu wrote:RTK is important and so is staying fit. :D.

Very true.

Also, maintaining a good diet is just as important. Fat calories should never go above 25% of your diet (it should be lower if you are an intense athlete), and the carb-protein ratio depends on how active you are. If you are an intense athlete who does 10+ hours of intense cardiovascular and/or muscular exercise, 60% of your diet may need to be carbs; normally it would be lower at about 40%.

when u are talking about carb-protein... what food that contains that one, or is it some supplements u have to consume?
memeo
Assistant

Unread postby mrbeate » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 am

memeo wrote:when u are talking about carb-protein... what food that contains that one, or is it some supplements u have to consume?

Carbohydrates is your body's main source of energy. They can come from fruits, veggies, and grain products. Even junk food has carbohydrates, taken they are not the healthy carbs. Grains usually contain the most amount of Carbs. Proteins come from animal sources such as meat, fish, poultry. But there are non-meat sources that provide proteins such as legumes, beans, and soy/tofu products.

Eating foods to gain your nutrients/vitamins/minerals is much healthier then taking supplements. Your body absorbs the nutrients from food much better then from supplements.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:40 pm

And be careful with those protein supplements, too. While some people take protein powder to "bulk up", ingesting protein alone isn't going to give you muscles, even though proteins are the building blocks for muscles. Also, while having protein is important, too much of it will damage your kidneys. Therefore, be really careful with those low-carb high-protein diets, and with protein supplements.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 pm

My favorite sources of protein are
yogurt
sausage
beef
lamb chops
ham (any sorts of deli meat)
zone bars

epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Been working out a lot recently and prepping for the Music City Marathon. I may not attempt the October marathon and give it a go during April. It's a half-marathon (13 miles) and I'm enthusiastic over it.

When I was a teenager I always wanted to do the NYC Marathon, which I may do in the future, and this definitely a set goal.

My workout routine (which is nothing compared to my football or H.S. days) --

Dumbbell Curls
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Upright Row
Bent over Row
Shoulder Shrugs
Pushups (4 sets)
DIps (6 sets)
Jogging
*will add squats and calf raises eventually

My wife has this contraption she purchased for herself -- Flex Belt. I tried it for almost two weeks now and I will have to admit it does work. Whatever love handles I had trying to set-in are almost completely gone and I can see my six-pack coming back.

I did also start doing alternate sets of 75 and 150 crunches so that helps a bit.

(5 years of mostly sitting behind a desk in inactivity can do that to you)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Been working out a lot recently and prepping for the Music City Marathon. I may not attempt the October marathon and give it a go during April. It's a half-marathon (13 miles) and I'm enthusiastic over it.

When I was a teenager I always wanted to do the NYC Marathon, which I may do in the future, and this definitely a set goal.

My workout routine (which is nothing compared to my football or H.S. days) --

Dumbbell Curls
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Upright Row
Bent over Row
Shoulder Shrugs
Pushups (4 sets)
DIps (6 sets)
Jogging
*will add squats and calf raises eventually

My wife has this contraption she purchased for herself -- Flex Belt. I tried it for almost two weeks now and I will have to admit it does work. Whatever love handles I had trying to set-in are almost completely gone and I can see my six-pack coming back.

I did also start doing alternate sets of 75 and 150 crunches so that helps a bit.

(5 years of mostly sitting behind a desk in inactivity can do that to you)

Hmmm, impressive, looks like a workouts of my style ... I should try it.
Personally, I'd replace jogging with rowing because that is great for my swimming, it's low impact, and I already get a bit of running from basketball, tennis, lacrosse, etc. Another benefit from rowing on a machine is the balanced body workout: legs from pressing, arms from the actual rowing, core for stabilization, excellent cardio, back for the entire upper body motion, etc.

I'm pretty sure Flex Belt doesn't work, but I wouldn't know (never used it, just looked at reviews and did my own analyzation).
However, check this vid out, it pretty much makes fun of Flex Belt and all those types of products:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2FnrFY5Iak

epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub