Theological perspective quiz

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Theological perspective quiz

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Following my conversation with WWD in the 'I Believe in God' thread I thought I'd share this quiz I've done before which shows what traditions you tend to have sympathy with. If your not a Christian but want to take the quiz then do so as if you were a Christian.

The Disclaimer: I didn't make this quiz and I don't believe that its evaluation of your answers or the way it defines the tradions are perfect. Its just a bit of fun. (I don't think I've posted this before?)

http://quizfarm.com/quizzes/Theology/sv ... worldview/

I've got this kind of score most of the time and I'd say it's pretty accurate.

You Scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
82%
Neo orthodox
75%
Emergent/Postmodern
64%
Fundamentalist
64%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
61%
Reformed Evangelical
50%
Roman Catholic
50%
Classical Liberal
46%
Modern Liberal
14%
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Theological perspective quiz

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks, Sun Fin! I remember this quiz! :D

I've taken this quiz a couple of times before, and always come up as primarily neo-orthodox. But even though I'm still pretty heavily anti-fundamentalist (my dad, a professional engineer and geo-physicist, was a very heavy influence on my faith), I guess my theology has taken a turn in a different direction.

Quizfarm wrote:You Scored as Roman Catholic

You are Roman Catholic. Church tradition and ecclesial authority are hugely important, and the most important part of worship for you is mass. As the Mother of God, Mary is important in your theology, and as the communion of saints includes the living and the dead, you can also ask the saints to intercede for you.

Roman Catholic
93%
Neo orthodox
89%
71%
Emergent/Postmodern
64%
Modern Liberal
32%
Classical Liberal
25%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
21%
Reformed Evangelical
18%
Fundamentalist
11%

I agree with the quiz insofar as I am Catholic, but I see the Pope primarily as primus inter pares rather than the supreme authority over the Church, and look to Canterbury rather than to Rome as the ecclesiastic centre of my own tradition.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Interesting WWD...

We both have strong connections to Neo-Orthodox, Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan and Emergent/Postmodern traditions. However I seem take more from the various branches (accept for Modern LIberalism). Also noticeable is that while you have Catholic tendancies my more charasmatic ones come out.

I'll be interested to see how Zhuanyong scores on this (I know that as he is a practising Jew he will have to use his imagination a fair bit but...) as I seem to agree with him on a regular basis.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Interesting WWD...

We both have strong connections to Neo-Orthodox, Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan and Emergent/Postmodern traditions. However I seem take more from the various traditions (accept for Modern LIberalism). Also noticeable is that while you have Catholic tendancies my more charasmatic ones come out.

I'll be interested to see how Zhuaryong scores on this (I know that as he is a practising Jew he will have to use his imagination a fair bit but...) as I seem to agree with him on a regular basis.

I'm not really surprised at that. Both of my parents were Methodist - my Mom's family, Welsh to the bone even on these shores, seem to have been followers of Wesley since back before they moved to Vermont.

My neo-orthodox / postmodern streak, I think I really started to acquire in college after reading Kierkegaard and Karl Barth - it was a way of reading Scripture and reading the traditions of the Church that, while new to me, made complete sense. God speaks and reveals through Scripture by interrogating the reader's being, speaking to the reader's life; its inspired authority does not derive from a dictatorial command, but from a consistent prodding of (as Jesus put it in the Gospel) 'whom do you say that I am?'

My Catholicism really came through when I started exploring High Church Anglicanism and reading its leading intellectual lights. The warmth and good humour in the writings of Dr Samuel Johnson and CS Lewis, the joy of life and thirst for justice evident in the works of Bp Charles Gore, the brilliant and energetic (if somewhat imprecise) mind of GK Chesterton.

But yes, I would also be quite interested to see where Zhuanyong falls on this! :)

The problem is that the language used between Judaism and Christianity has grown so far distant - and I'm not simply talking about 'Gospel' and 'New Testament', but even the language which we use to talk about the Hebrew scriptures is somewhat altered (Exodus and the kingships of David and Solomon take on different shades of meaning between Judaism and Christianity - Christianity's use of language being almost by necessity more metaphorical). This is probably under Gnostic and neo-Platonic influences in the Early Church; but also because the Christian concept of history is so focussed around one highly radical figure executed under the Roman occupation (to wit, Jesus of Nazareth).
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby dan99990 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Here's what I got:

You Scored as Emergent/Postmodern

You are Emergent/Postmodern in your theology. You feel alienated from older forms of church, you don't think they connect to modern culture very well. No one knows the whole truth about God, and we have much to learn from each other, and so learning takes place in dialogue. Evangelism should take place in relationships rather than through crusades and altar-calls. People are interested in spirituality and want to ask questions, so the church should help them to do this.

Emergent/Postmodern
82%
Classical Liberal
75%
Modern Liberal
64%
61%
Roman Catholic
61%
Neo orthodox
54%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
36%
Reformed Evangelical
29%
Fundamentalist
4%

Pretty much what I expected. I'm an ex-Catholic, and I tend to think that a personal relationship with God (along with moral living) is really what counts. Not a specific Church's dogma. I just have a hard time believing that a God who created all humanity would judge people based on their religious practices. How is a person's theology- or lack thereof- more important than the actions they take?

Just my two cents.
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
dan99990
Student

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:41 am

You Scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

71%
Emergent/Postmodern
64%
Fundamentalist
61%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
54%
Modern Liberal
46%
Classical Liberal
43%
Neo orthodox
25%
Roman Catholic
7%
Reformed Evangelical
4%

For the record, I actually believe that Yahusha/Yeshua/Jesus is Messiah (have my whole life, as I was taught). Also, I do read the whole 'Torah' which whenever I say it I may be referring to either the first 5 books, the first half (Brit Rishon), or the full scriptures (I may have given misleading messages but, Torah means instructions - not Law). Yahusha/Jesus, after all, was mimicking the words of Moses and the prophets. He put a complete meaning to the message that was originally given - something He himself stated.

My wife was a Christian when I met her and I did go to church with her for about 3 years near the beginning of our marriage. So I'm familiar, very familiar with Christianity. My time served as a Rebbe allowed me to have different debates, mostly with Christians, regarding the faiths.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LuXunMaster102 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:36 am

You Scored as Classical Liberal
You are a classical liberal. You are sceptical about much of the historicity of the Bible, and the most important thing Jesus has done is to set us a good moral example that we are to follow. Doctrines like the trinity and the incarnation are speculative and not really important, and in the face of science and philosophy the surest way we can be certain about God is by our inner awareness of him. Discipleship is expressed by good moral behaviour, but inward religious feeling is most important.

Classical Liberal
46%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
43%
Fundamentalist
39%
Emergent/Postmodern
36%
Roman Catholic
32%
Neo orthodox
29%
Modern Liberal
18%
18%
Reformed Evangelical
4%

I have no idea of why I took this quiz.
It is in times of chaos when heroes are made. -LuXunMaster102

Yuan Dynasty:

Ruler - Yuan Shao
Prime Minister - Guo Jia
Grand Commander - Zhou Yu
Alternate - Sun Jian
Viceroy - Lu Su
LuXunMaster102
Scholar

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:42 am

dan99990 wrote:Pretty much what I expected. I'm an ex-Catholic, and I tend to think that a personal relationship with God (along with moral living) is really what counts. Not a specific Church's dogma. I just have a hard time believing that a God who created all humanity would judge people based on their religious practices. How is a person's theology- or lack thereof- more important than the actions they take?

Just my two cents.

:D Everyone's two cents are welcome!

For my own part, though, as someone from a Protestant family who is moving in a more Catholic direction (but who is likely never actually to cross the Tiber), I have to concur with Dorothy Sayers that 'it is the dogma that is the drama'. Ultimately, what is 'moral living'? What is the 'personal relationship with God' to which we aspire? You can't really answer these questions without having some kind of belief (at least, within a Christian context) of who Christ actually was, and what Christ meant for us trying to sort out our moral lives today.

Ultimately, I think, one's theology and one's actions amount to the same thing (or, maybe that's the Daoist in me talking - I have a bad habit of attempting to analogise that two things that seem to be in opposition really have much more in common than they do in dispute). Theology becomes practice through the Mass (at the end of which, note, we are bidden to 'go and serve the Lord'), and practice in turn becomes theology again, as 'by their fruits you shall know them', good and bad.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:00 am

Having been raised in a Church and having left it for damn good reasons, I am:

"...a classical liberal. You are sceptical about much of the historicity of the Bible, and the most important thing Jesus has done is to set us a good moral example that we are to follow. Doctrines like the trinity and the incarnation are speculative and not really important, and in the face of science and philosophy the surest way we can be certain about God is by our inner awareness of him. Discipleship is expressed by good moral behaviour, but inward religious feeling is most important."

I also scored high in the categories of Emergent/Postmodern and Modern Liberal, and, to hopefully no one's surprise, very low as a Fundamentalist.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:57 am

Sorry took one look, I hate those kind of quizzes with Strongly Disagree to Strongly Agree, they always baffle me!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy