Mount & Blade

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:11 pm

Rhiannon wrote:I'm stumped as to how to get quests.

AFAIK in the current version you only get quests from goods merchants. There's one in every large town, and you actually have to 'take a walk around', find the building with the purse signboard overhead, enter it, and talk to the merchant about a job.

Their quests are very worthwhile, and they get more complex and rewarding as you level up. One bonus is that quest experience is shared only among your PC and your four 'heroes' — Rolf, Ymira, Marnid, and Borcha — who may otherwise level up rather slowly.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:34 pm

I haven't played since version 0.4 or something so I can't tell you on the mods. But whatever mod is compatible, try them!

This is a game that will scream great substance thanks to user generated content.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Niahak » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:05 pm

The only mod I've played much is The Last Days - a Lord of the Rings mod for the previous version. It's larger-scale than the normal game and has some pretty darn nifty features and balance.

I've heard they haven't released the modding kit for the latest version, so new mods might not come out for a while. They did just release a mostly-bugfix (8.9.1), though.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Rhiannon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:06 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:AFAIK in the current version you only get quests from goods merchants. There's one in every large town, and you actually have to 'take a walk around', find the building with the purse signboard overhead, enter it, and talk to the merchant about a job.

Their quests are very worthwhile, and they get more complex and rewarding as you level up. One bonus is that quest experience is shared only among your PC and your four 'heroes' — Rolf, Ymira, Marnid, and Borcha — who may otherwise level up rather slowly.

Bless you. The FAQ I read was outdated and said I'd get them from my liege (when working for a kingdom), but that just wasn't happening. And I'd wander around sometimes in towns, but got frustrated with trying to find quests.

I will go try this out now!
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:07 am

There was a nice story mod. Forgot the name, but it had me going into the steppes against nasty horsemen.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:32 pm

I'm digging these new features! In a castle assault I was down to just me, and I had no missile weapons. So, I took a crossbow from one dead enemy, some bolts from another, and got the win!

Ranbir wrote:This is a game that will scream great substance thanks to user generated content.

Right you are, and I second Niahak about The Last Days being a terrific mod. I'll soon go looking for an updated version. I also like how the mods build on each other, e.g. the arena in The Last Days includes all the extra features from the Arena mod.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Niahak » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:42 am

I've been playing this lately to relieve the stress of hard working at DoaE modding :)

Unfortunately, no Last Days update yet - the team says the next version might not even come out this year.

However... I came across this mod made by a group of Chinese modders, based on Three Kingdoms.

I recall reading about a DW-inspired TK M&B mod and thinking it wouldn't be that great... but this seems to look pretty good. Take a look at the promo video, if nothing else. This looks as well-crafted as TLD.

Unfortunately, M&B Vanilla has had a patch since the 14th, and I've already installed it. But they might come up with a new version of Tripartition soon.

Check if out if you're considering trying M&B again. I know I will when the next version comes out.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Bryan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:10 am

Tripartition actually looks like something of what I had in mind when we were talking about making a Chinese mod over there, but the "kids" who wanted to do it the first time around were American, and all they really wanted was Lu Bu and the rest copied literally straight from some of the Dynasty Warriors games. They had no inkling of the scope of the story DW was based upon, nor the scale of which China was made of back then, so we probably would have had Cao Cao and Liu Bei fighting it up in Taiwan. At the time, I gave up hope for any sort of Chinese mod unless some Chinese modders showed up, which apparently was the case. Looks actually very good. To bad my computer sucks a bit right now and I can't actually play it.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Bumping this because the full version is very very near now.

Having not played since 0.4 I recently tried 0.9, after watching the movie The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc I created her and begun a new game!

The battlefield was drawn. 8 farmers willing to join my crazy lady facing 12 river pirates. Not the most epic battle but hey, it's the beginning of the game.

I ride up to the top of the river bank. I see the pirates charging towards.

Everybody! Follow me!! And forward I charge! Forward!

And what luck, 100 years war mod for 0.903. :)
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Niahak » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:46 am

Actually, I restarted this again once .903 came out, and I've been playing it off and on.

Vanilla is much more palatable than it used to be. Sadly, The Last Days isn't out for .903 yet, neither is Tripartition. TLD looks like it won't be for awhile :(

For a temporary replacement, I've been playing The Eagle and the Radiant Cross, sort of a Renaissance-esque mod that's pretty fun. Not much new in terms of engine, but the factions are much more distinct.
Niahak
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven