Computer Assistance Thread

Website, internet, technology, and computer resources, discussion and assistance.

Unread postby Monk Chow » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:35 am

UGH I had over 30GB worth of roms for the DC and Snes and they are all gone. I don't know how, but they are missing. i tried searching for them and nothing. By any chance is there anything I could do to maybe find them and get them back? Or am I screwed?
Monk Chow
Initiate

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:03 am

Recently my PC has been making a loud persistent buzzing noise.

By disconnecting various parts I have determined that the problem is the AGP video card, a 32MB NVIDIA GEForce2 GTS. The fan on the card is rattling.

I pulled out the card and gave it a good cleaning as it was very dusty, but the noise is as bad as ever.

Advice, anyone, please? For the time being I've simply disconnected the fan. Hope nothing melts.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:42 am

Well, it's possible gunk has gotten between the base and the actual fan thing, the joint where it turns. Or there could be accumulated gunk on the spokes of the fan other than just dust. The question I would ask myself is, "With Wal-Mart selling 128MB Radeons and GeForces for $70, and 64MB cards selling dirt cheap, is it worth the bother to try and make this stupid fan work properly?"

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:28 am

Yeah. All you can really do is inspect the fan to see if anything is blocking or interfering with it. If nothing comes up, you can try using compressed air in a can to blow it out. If <i>still</i> nothing works, you might as well see if you can detach and disassemble the fan. If it came down to that, your options would pretty much be to replace the card or find some way to fix it, even if it risks breaking it. I wouldn’t risk heat issues in the computer, though. Cards are easy enough to replace.

Oh, depending on how old it is, you could call ATI. Sometimes these cards carry huge warranties, even if a stock component in a computer. Probably won’t pan out, but if you don’t want to spend some money on a replacement, it may be worth a shot.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:15 am

LiuYuanTe wrote:With Wal-Mart selling 128MB Radeons and GeForces for $70, and 64MB cards selling dirt cheap, is it worth the bother to try and make this stupid fan work properly?

Wow that is super cheap, I think mine was $500 Canadian when it was new. But it looks like this card and I will be together for a little while longer.

Eschewing good advice and good sense as usual, I pulled the card out of the machine and unscrewed the fan from the card. I was looking to get at the spindle and the bearings. On the bottom face of the fan (the fan is mounted on the underside of the card) was a sticker. I peeled it off, but there was no sign of the spindle, just more black plastic. This stumped me for a while, but then — wait! This was ANOTHER sticker, camouflaged to look like the rest of the fan. Sneaky Taiwanese bastards!

I peeled off the second sticker, revealing the tiny spindle and single ball bearing. I put in one little drop of sewing machine oil, replaced the sticker, and spun the fan with my finger. No noise! I gave everything a good cleaning, plugged the fan back into the card and the card into the motherboard, and powered up the machine with the case still open. The fan was spinning and it wasn't making any noise! I put the PC back together just in time to realize that I had missed the entire Bears-Giants game.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 pm

I love that they used a second sticker.
Makes me wonder how many squeaky fan problems could be solved with a screwdriver and a little determination.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:12 am

I've since read elsewhere on the internet from some engineer that sewing machine oil might not be viscous enough, and the problem might recur in a month or two. He recommends using "10/40 or 20/50 engine oil" instead. Just wanted to include that for future reference.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:28 am

Monk Chow wrote:UGH I had over 30GB worth of roms for the DC and Snes and they are all gone. I don't know how, but they are missing. i tried searching for them and nothing. By any chance is there anything I could do to maybe find them and get them back? Or am I screwed?

And as for this, do you have any idea what might have happened? I suspect they must have been deleted. If your hard drive was bad enough to be deleting things you would likely have other issues. If they really were deleted, you'll need some sort of program that has undelete capabilities. I think Norton has a product along those lines, and if you do get it, I'd probably suggest deleting it when you are done.

As long as they weren't in one huge archived file you can probably recover most—depending on how long it has been.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Justin » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:36 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:Recently my PC has been making a loud persistent buzzing noise.

By disconnecting various parts I have determined that the problem is the AGP video card, a 32MB NVIDIA GEForce2 GTS. The fan on the card is rattling.

I pulled out the card and gave it a good cleaning as it was very dusty, but the noise is as bad as ever.

Advice, anyone, please? For the time being I've simply disconnected the fan. Hope nothing melts.

This card is crap, sorry but true. 32 MB won't run anything anymore. I wouldn't even bother to try and fix it. Drop a hundie and buy a 256 MB card from http://www.newegg.com
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Justin wrote:This card is crap, sorry but true. 32 MB won't run anything anymore. I wouldn't even bother to try and fix it. Drop a hundie and buy a 256 MB card from http://www.newegg.com

Well I don't have any games that are graphically on the bleeding edge, as they say...I play stuff like KOTOR #1 and Madden Football '05, and my rig runs them very well, Pentium III 733 MHz.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Foreign Kingdoms