Lady Zhen's Death

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Lady Zhen's Death

Unread postby Lady Qiao » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:24 am

could anyone please tell me when lady zhen dies? i can't seem to find it in my copy. an exact chapter would be appreciated, thanks.
"Now there are two very famous beauties in Wu, born of the Qiao family. So beautiful are they that birds alight and fishes drown, the moon hides her face and the flowers blush for shame at sight of them."
-Zhuge Liang to Zhou Yu
Lady Qiao
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:58 am

Lady Zhen wife of Cao Pi? He made her commit suicide.... :cry: (SGZ chapter 5)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
Melty the Snowman
Melty the Snowman

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:07 am

oops.... i thought you said "how" instead of "when"... It's in the 6th month of AD 221.

Lady Zhen was a virtuous woman who had great pity for the poor even when she was a young girl. She bore Cao Rui to Cao Pi. But when Cao Pi usurped the throne, the Duke of Shanyang (the ex-Emperor Xian) sent 2 beautiful ladies to be Cao Pi's concubines, and Cao Pi became enamoured of them as well as some other ladies. And so Lady Zhen was ignored, and she became unhappy. For that, Cao Pi got angry and ordered her to commit suicide. :x
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
Melty the Snowman
Melty the Snowman

Unread postby Wen Choung » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:36 pm

So technically, it isn't REALLY suicide, right?
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:43 pm

Wen Choung wrote:So technically, it isn't REALLY suicide, right?

Well… if she did herself in, I would still call it suicide. Cao Pi was a punk. :x
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dennis » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:08 pm

Zhuge Kongming wrote:
Wen Choung wrote:So technically, it isn't REALLY suicide, right?

Well… if she did herself in, I would still call it suicide. Cao Pi was a punk. :x

I never liked him before, but this is ridiculous... I can barely believe it, Cap Pi was a loser...
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Jeffro » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:57 pm

Good ole' Cao genetics. *remembers when cao cao killed his uncle and his entire family* ah well, History is chock full of injustices.
Jeffro
Initiate

thanks!

Unread postby Lady Qiao » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:23 pm

thank you lady wu and everyone who had posted. i really appreciate it, thanks.
"Now there are two very famous beauties in Wu, born of the Qiao family. So beautiful are they that birds alight and fishes drown, the moon hides her face and the flowers blush for shame at sight of them."
-Zhuge Liang to Zhou Yu
Lady Qiao
Tyro

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:36 am

Was there also something about Zhen Ji falling for a guy named Liu Gong Liang or is that just folk legend?
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:57 am

Hmmm... the closest thing to "Liu Gong Liang" I know about is an incident recorded in the Wei Lue, which says that when Lady Zhen was little, her father had a physiognomist (sp???) called Liu Liang look at her, and he remarked that she would become someone royal and great.
Lady Wu
Melty the Snowman
Melty the Snowman

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium