Videogame Violence?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby EVERYTHING » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:35 pm

Asmodeous_9th wrote:I agree 100% on that Marc, games have no influence on a sane person. They are just used as a scape goat for all the real problems out there. I think it's funny how supposedly a violent game like GTA can make you want to kill someone, while a violent movie will not.

See those that admit that violent games have <i>some</i> kind of affect on a person's personality and the likelyhood of someone commenting a cirme would think a movie could do the same. But as I said before, that older generation didn't have video games, so of course they're going to start off by blaming that which they didn't have, it's a simple matter of them being unwilling to consider what the bigger problems are.

I agree that parents should be trying to tell their kids the difference between right and wrong, but that doesn't mean it'll stick. I'm sure few parents expect that 1st crime a child commits. Most most likely would start out by asking what they did wrong, espically those that cared deeply about their kids.

To blame something else for the moment, if a kid falls into the wrong crowd it won't matter how good the parents did. To fit in that kid may recreate something in a game, or in general do <i>something</i> wrong to fit in. There are many reasons but I just want to say that a parent can only made so much of a difference, I just can't stand the idea that there is one single reason that any crime is commited. Sure the parents have a lot more to blame then the games they played, but it's all about what helped that person make it to that point of no return. What could have been removed that may have stopped this from happening? Would a video game alone put someone onto a life of crime? Most likely no, but a game like GTA glorifies the criminal so it could impact their decision, and that's my reason for thinking that video games desire just a little blame.
EVERYTHING
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:10 am

Shield of Rohan wrote:
Iain wrote:kids dont like rules and regulations and being told what to do

That's the key, isn't it. Teach them to respect rules and regulations and the basic reasoning behind such rules, as well as key virtues from a young age and they should be good to go :) . This again rests on the parents to bring up their children to make the right choices. It isn't impossible.
Are you a parent by any chance? Its easy to list off rules and regulations its entirely another thing to implement them for many long years. :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:13 am

Are you a parent by any chance? Its easy to list off rules and regulations its entirely another thing to implement them for many long years.

Again this is another excuse. People should not be parents if they do not have the time, energy, power to take care of their kids. And part of doing this is being able to enforce rules and regulations+monitoring children. If they cannot do this then perhaps, children exposed to videogame violence may be affected. However violent videogames should not be banned as a whole because parents cannot take care of their kids.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby redlion » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:33 pm

Back when I was a kid D&D was band from many places because some people thought it blured the line of reality and caused suicide. People are blaming video games because its an esay scapegoat. And then theres the people who shouldn't reproduce at all who buys a 4 year old kid grand theft auto.
redlion
Scholar

Unread postby EVERYTHING » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:11 am

SlickSlicer wrote:Again this is another excuse. People should not be parents if they do not have the time, energy, power to take care of their kids.

:lol: People might not think it does take that much effort, and I know you have no idea how much effort it'd take to make that statement.

SlickSlicer wrote:However violent videogames should not be banned as a whole because parents cannot take care of their kids.

I fail to see how the blame for any violence can be squared completely on the parents. Sure some parents don't help, but a good parent can easily raise a horrible kid in the wrong environment. Parents shouldn't be complaining about games corrupting their kids is something I can agree with as there's a good rating system in place, but you shouldn't just assume parents are at fault and say that the game is completely innocent when a kid does go out and commits a violent act.
EVERYTHING
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby kvn_m » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:19 am

I'm just writing my thoughts out. I don't know if this has been previously mentioned. =)

There are already many researches done to find out the truth behind the video gaming.

Most of the people who gave the opinions in regards to video gaming resulting in violence was no more than a speculation and a too quick judgement based on unreliable co-relation of violence and video gaming.

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/videogamerevolution/impact/myths.html

This link is one that I found that talk about the "video gaming myths" done by a professor in MIT.

I agree with him. It's like the percentage of people who commit violence is just a small margin out of the video gamers out there. It makes more sense if these people commit the crimes out of their upbringing, moreso than just video gaming. Well, most of the details are covered in the website. I think most of what say would be the same/similar to what the professor say. Cause I was mostly influenced by his research. :D
"You are no fool who gives what you cannot keep, and gain what you cannot lose."
kvn_m
Master

Unread postby Cao Cao's Guardian » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:17 pm

I'm fascinated by the line between what can be considered videogame violence and harmless fun. Obviously I'm pro-gaming and I agree with most of the points made (it's folly to blame the gaming industry for corrupting youth and causing the increase in violence) but I'm curious as to when the finger-pointing began. The ancient games (I remember the Commodore 64 years) had violence that was almost cute! Racing crashes, boxing games, Yar's Revenge....they all had violence which would never have encouraged people to go out and...do Pac Man and Jak Attack style rampages.......Hmm
Anyway, unless children/teenagers suddenly become bloodlust after seeing some red pixels flying across the screen while playing Doom, I doubt that any such thing would encourage violence.
It's getting late, for me, so I've forgotten half the things I wanted to say. Oh well. That'll shorten this post by quite a bit. Lucky you :P
The point I made so far, is that common sense indicates that you won't see a spray of blood every time you punch somebody, so people should be able to tell reality from games. C'mon, it's a different experience, sitting down playing a game and facing somebody in person.
Bah, I'm making no sense. Sorry for not contributing much to this thread. I'll try to stay out of it if I can't come up with anything constructive.
<steps back, bowing down respectfully>
Hungry Dynasty Warriors:
'I eat guys like you for breakfast' - Xu Zhu
'I eat people like that for lunch' - Xiahou Yuan
'Yuan Shao will swallow the North whole' - Cao Cao
'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! I ATE SOMEONE'S WIFE!! GAAAH!!!' - Liu Bei
Cao Cao's Guardian
Academic

Location: By Cao Cao's side, fighting off a very angry Ma Chao

Unread postby Ma Chao's Rage » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:04 pm

I think that most of these people are like this to start. I really would hope that people would have enough common sense to take blame for something they did and get help for it because I strongly believe that video games do not cause people to go on a rampage killing people. Seriously, how could you think that because shooting someone in a game is alright that you can go around shooting people in real life :x . People should be able to testify in court though, that video games made them do it except the court just shouldn't listen... That's what I think anyways.
What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.
Ma Chao's Rage
Academic

Unread postby Dynasty_Dude » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:32 am

Not good...a grade 2...kid was play San Andreas...I was like WTF? You don't teach kids this young swear words, guns, stealing, etc. And you wonder why there is a lot of youth crimes....Geez...

These kids will grow up and imitate what they see....They will be out on the streets selling drugs...."capping" people....etc.

Sure these games are entertaining...but don't give them to the young...
NO WORRIES MATE!
Dynasty_Dude
Assistant

Previous

Return to Current Affairs