Liu Shan: a Remarkable Person?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Sean » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:01 am

Liu Shan didn't, in my opinion, do much. He was completely dependent on Huang Hao, and when Jiang Wei was fighting the Wei Forces on his campaigns, Jiang Wei's voice never reached Liu Shan.

Although, that might've been a good thing as well, because if Liu Shan did indeed give more resources to Jiang Wei, well...Shu would've declined even more quickly.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yorak » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:15 am

I dunno. The impression I get from Liu Chan isn't so much that he was mentally deficient or lacked the skill to rule the kingdom, it's that he lacked the ambition. He didn't really care. Plus, as was mentioned, he listened to bad advice. Maybe if he involved himself more in his kingdom, he would have done better...

...Or maybe not. I think the thing that ultimately broke Shu wasn't Liu Shan's incompetance, nor Jiang Wei's (although neither helped). It was Wei's power. Even if Liu Chan had talent equalling Zhuge Liang's, I still think Shu's fall was all but inevitable.

In fact, that may have been part of the reason for Liu Shan's lack of interest - he knew they didn't really have a chance, and basically just held Shu out of respect for his father and Kongming.
I'm not even here
Yorak
Master

Unread postby EmperorWei » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:22 am

All these replies,seems like you guys says Shu is just delaying the inevitable,getting conquered sooner or later.
"I do not fear an army of lions being led by a sheep,but do I fear an army of sheep led by a lion"-Alexander the Great
EmperorWei
Master

Unread postby man4422 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:44 pm

EmperorWei wrote:All these replies,seems like you guys says Shu is just delaying the inevitable,getting conquered sooner or later.

Not really EmperorWei.

I do not really agree what the rest have said. If Liu Bei/Zhuge Liang could have took more time to look after him, without thinking of conquering the enemies, then Liu Shan might get to learn from him, and slowly developed the rights to make his own right decision.

Just the same as when a child is naughty and dont like to study, like to go elsewhere to wander around, join bad company. This child is not partly to blame. His parents also take the responsibility too.

Rgds
man4422
man4422
Master

Unread postby Cao Moo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:26 pm

A wise man once said those dealing with the wise shall proper, those haveing dealings with the stupid will fair badly.

When we first meet Liu Cahn he is an eager and competent man.

He has one major characeter flaw the extreme need of others advice.

Due to poor choices in associates the Liu chan we leave at the end of the book is a far cry from the one we first met. Bad association had corrupted his more useful traits leaving him but a hollow shell of the man he once was undeserving of the title of emperor.
I am the sage Cao Moo, the holiest of all holy cows!
Cao Moo
Initiate

Unread postby Wizardman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:47 am

If Liu Chan had been a beter ruler, then Shu could've actually kept on going, and probbably would've outlasted Wu (maybe not jin).
WE know little about Liu Chen, Shan's son. From what is known , he would have been a great ruler or general.
Keep in mind that there was much that could've been donem, it just wasn't done. Liu Bei told Kongming that if Liu Chan was a poor ruler, then he could handle affairs. Kongmign never took over, and Liu Chan was able to cause tyranny without anyone really against him.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhang Shu » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:44 pm

personally i hate liu shan. but of course u can not blame it all on liu shan because of huang hao's stupid self. i think liu bei should have educated liu shan better. he is actually not as bad in the book as in the movie, but still... he should have fought with deng ai at chengdu. I mean didnt like deng ai only have 300 men after they crossed yinping?
Havent been here in a while
Zhang Shu
Academic

Unread postby man4422 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:02 am

Zhuge Liang/ Jiang Wei should advice Jiang Wan to take good care of Liu Shan when they are not around the court. Jiang Wan and Fei Yi should keep close to Liu Shan, then the emperor affairs with the eunches would not start.

Rgds
man4422
man4422
Master

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:06 am

Huang Hao only took power when Jiang Wan, Fei Yi and Dong Yun all had died.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wo Long » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:08 am

Sao Meng wrote:I say Liu Chan would've been a good (not great) ruler.

The reason?

Liu Chan listened to Huang Hao too much and would leave decisions to him..

And if only Liu Bei didn't drop Liu Chan...haha :lol:

Hahaha! I agree. Good not great, plus he hurled him to the ground when Zhao Yun rescued him. Now that really shows love!
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium