Zhang Fei

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

How's Zhang Fei?

Some drunkard that can fight
13%
An important Shu general
78%
A brainless Shu general
4%
Something that ShuWeiYan didn't add
4%

Total votes : 45

Zhang Fei

Unread postby ShuWeiYan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:08 pm

How would you fare Zhang Fei as? Tell us what you think.
What's that thing called when a guy is gay for a girl?
-Homer Simpson
ShuWeiYan
Langzhong

Unread postby Fei Yi » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:22 pm

Obviously, I choose the second choice. Zhang Fei is one of Shu's most valuable generals. As he has demonstrated many times.
All we need to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us... "Gandalf the grey"

Death smiles to us all...., all we can do is smile back... "Marcus Aurelius"

Freedom lies behind the boundries we've created ourselves...
Fei Yi
Sage

Unread postby Famed Hero » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:30 pm

Pizz poor before Chi Bi (for the most part/by comparison), essential after Chi Bi.

At first he was a brutish general who was great in duels but a horrible leader. After racing Kongming from Jing during the campaign against Liu Zhang, he came around and became Liu Bei's most stellar general IMHO.
Saint Joan of Arc, Pray for us!
Famed Hero
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ShuWeiYan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:16 pm

Well, actually Zhang fei started using his brains in Chang Ban where he ordered his cavalry men 2 cut down wood and run around in circles, making the enmy think that there's reinforcements, then he yelled at the "million men" Cao army and, force them to retreat and then break down the bridge. That was a brilliant strategy made by Zhang Fei.
Last edited by ShuWeiYan on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's that thing called when a guy is gay for a girl?
-Homer Simpson
ShuWeiYan
Langzhong

Unread postby Sao Meng » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:54 am

Defenetly the second choice.

Zhang Fei was an important asset at Chang Ban, and also was a great general during the Yellow Scarf (or Turban) Rebellion, IMO.
I shall return...to the garden...
Sao Meng
Assistant

Unread postby EmperorWei » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:30 am

Chang Fei was actually a good warrior for many reasons,

-When trying to fool Liu Tai,he beated up one of his soldiers for a wine incident(not exactly the smart thing),and actually succeded in the ruse to get Liu Tai out of his camp.

-Changban...it was a great idea,but burning the bridge was quite pointless

-He faced Hsu Chu 3 times!!! -Once when Cao Ren's army was retreating,another time after the battle of Chibi(Hsu Chu fought on a unsaddled horse),and lastly when Hsu Chu was drunk(heck,I dont think that would count,because Hsu was drunk :? )

-He succeded in fooling the veteran,Yen Yen...

In conclusion,he was a valuable warrior of Shu.

P.S. HE FOUGHT HSU CHU 3 TIMES!!,what a feat :P
"I do not fear an army of lions being led by a sheep,but do I fear an army of sheep led by a lion"-Alexander the Great
EmperorWei
Master

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 am

Zhange Fei was a good man. Great general whose drinking got to the best of him. His legacy to Shu may not be as great when compared to his brother Guan Yu . But it takes a lot of guts and skill to hold back an entire army single handedly.
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sean » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:59 am

"A brainless general" is what I put. Zhang Fei almost got Liu Bei in some serious trouble by nearly waking up Zhuge Liang (if he planted his "bomb") and not having the, literally, the "Sleeping Dragon" join Shu. He died by beating 2 officers--No, he didn't die of exhaustion or anything like that, but instead, he beat the officers, and they assassinated him that night, after the flogging and they left Shu because of that. Seriously, I thought that was a bad choice.

He has power, something shown constantly throughout the novel (for example, in the early chapters, when Zhang Fei defeated the rebel Gao Sheng with one blow from his spear), but the novel says nothing of his intelligence. Also, I didn't really like reading how, most of the time, he was drinking.

The only thing I like about him is when he stood on Chang Ban Bridge, against Cao Cao's army.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:43 am

Novel wise a drunkard who beat his men but managed to do some great things dispite his faults.

History wise he wasn't a drunk so he was a great general who had a bad habit of beating his men
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:56 am

Moogle wrote:"A brainless general" is what I put. Zhang Fei almost got Liu Bei in some serious trouble by nearly waking up Zhuge Liang (if he planted his "bomb") and not having the, literally, the "Sleeping Dragon" join Shu.
Maybe he was joking there? :wink:
Moogle wrote:"He has power, something shown constantly throughout the novel (for example, in the early chapters, when Zhang Fei defeated the rebel Gao Sheng with one blow from his spear), but the novel says nothing of his intelligence. Also, I didn't really like reading how, most of the time, he was drinking.
He wasnt drinking most of the time even in the novel I can only think of one occasion where his drinking caused a problem.

Zhang Fei really gets a bad rep for being drunk, and for very little reason really, I think he was one of Shu's best Generals.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium