The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby English_Druid » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:49 pm

That girls lucky she wasnt thrown to the floor and shot. If someone declared to me on a bus that they had a bomb I would tackle them to the ground. Theres no way of knowing if its a joke or not, and if you take it as one when it isnt, you might not live to regret it.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby EERman » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:39 pm

that girl is so stupid, why in the world would you say that?
saying you were"dazed" ain't good enough for the police. that girl is lucky she ain't sitting in jail right now.

and that's just creepy about the news reporter story. why in the world would they hire him unless he had a secret story or something.

also this was actually a while ago but america landed a lander called spirit on mars and has taken many pictures so far. but yesterday they lost contact with it, or something like its a little broken, and the lander isn't working right now. NASA is trying to figure out whats wrong. another lander named opertunity is landing on the other side of mars, i think today. they are searching for and water on mars and also going to drill some rocks to see whats in them.

i thought this was pretty cool and didn't know if you guys, especially people not in the USA, have heard anything about it.
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:24 am

I remember, in September 2002, I was at an aeroport with my guitarist, flying out of Toronto. Anyway, I had one of those openy-tabby things off the top of a pop can in my pocket, because I was collecting them at the time. We went through the security check, and the alarm didn't go off and nothing beeped on my pocket (presumably because of the compund composition of the aluminium tab).

I found it in my pocket after we got through, and I explained it to him, and then he said "Wow, you could make a knife out of pop tabs!"

I had to hit him to get him to shut up, but we had a good chuckle afterwards.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:30 am

I may make a thread about the FDA later, but for now...

The FDA has finally admitted and verbally announced that acetaminophen (that's Tylenol and other pain relievers) is lethal and can cause liver damage and disease when not taken as directed. They estimate that 56,000 people a year overdose accidentally on the drug and require some form of hospitalization for it.

In response, they're launching an OTC education program, consisting of various pamphlets to be available for consumers at their doctors and pharmacies. No plans were ever mentioned, however, to improve the warning labels on Tylenol and other pain relievers (which do not mention this serious threat).
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby The Urborg Volcano » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:58 pm

Wow, ain't that a kick in the balls.

Pain reliever becomes pain dealer. I reckon that this is a bit late to admit that. ;P
If I ever become untapped, you can tap me for Red or Black mana! Wouldn't that be a blast? (I'll blast YOU for 1 damage, mutter mutter.)
The Urborg Volcano
Academic

Unread postby Asellas » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:14 pm

http://www.xatrix.org

There are thousands of stories here that could be debated or commented on. It is about people who have been arrested, who started the MSBlast virus, hackers on ICQ etc etc...

There were too many for me to post so i thought a link would be much more better for those who wish to read it.
Might be good to read if you like small news.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:17 am

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

Two quakes struck Indonesia Friday and Saturday. The first measured 6.9, the second 7.1. The deathtoll is currently at 34 from the last reports I have heard, but due to the new quake, that is rising.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby hikarinoyami3 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:03 pm

A mass-emailing worm is currently floating around called W32.Mydoom.A@mm.

Some moron keeps on attempting to send us this worm on our school server.

For more info, http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom.a@mm.html[/url]
hikarinoyami3
Student

Unread postby Bricks » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:19 pm

The people that make virus's are genius. They can cause massive damage with a computer.

...Only in the cyber world...
Bricks
Langzhong

Unread postby hikarinoyami3 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:29 pm

I would agree, but usually viruses that appear aren't original instead people somehow isolate a virus and quarantine it into a file, and renaming it.

Also, hacking a computer like that just isn't right in my opinion. Hacking for a friend to test for security hazards is good, but destroying things isn't.
hikarinoyami3
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs