Basic Questions Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Basic Questions Thread

Unread postby Emily » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:40 am

Please use this thread to ask questions that do not require an entire thread devoted to them- such as asking for a source, author's name, or a recommendation.

That having been said, can anyone recommend to me a good English translation of the Qur'an (Koran)?
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:20 am

The most common literary translation I have seen is the standard Penguin Classics edition. I'm not sure who the translator is, but you should be able to find it anywhere.

Other translations have been made with varying areas of focus, as you well know. I assume from your reading habits and interests that you are more interested in it as a historical literary source (as well as for personal interest/curiosity)?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:42 pm

Any recommendation for works by Kurt Vonnegut?
Also, I'm looking for a good high fantasy novel (not including LOTR), any suggestions? (I'm not even sure if such a thing is possible.)
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:08 pm

fantasy...my favourite novel, Journey to the West!

Based on a real life journey of a monk during the Tang Dynasty travelling west to india to collect the Buddha's Sutra.

Fantasy bit is the demons, the gods, and the monkey king...sure fantasy, if you believe what people say... :roll: (Aw come on, let me think it happened, its so great!)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Deng Ai » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:17 pm

HiddenRanbir wrote:fantasy...my favourite novel, Journey to the West!

I wholeheartedly agree. Jurney to the West is an amazing fantasy novel that I enjoy immensely, and I think other f antasy readers would enjoy it as well.
Deng Ai
Student

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:31 pm

Unfortunately I've already read Journey to the West (seen a couple movies too), any other suggestions?

Also, I'm wondering if anybody can give me the English translation of 租界 and some sources on the history and culture (both foreign and Chinese)there?
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:34 pm

租界 = Foreign settlement ? (Can someone check that please!)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:06 am

Seven at One Stroke wrote:Any recommendation for works by Kurt Vonnegut?
Also, I'm looking for a good high fantasy novel (not including LOTR), any suggestions? (I'm not even sure if such a thing is possible.)

I’d like to suggest looking into Raymond E. Feist if you haven’t already done so. His novels contain many fantastical elements, but also seem to have a much more realistic portrayal. He’s probably one of my favorite fantasy authors, one I’ve been reading for many years.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby REMisCool » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:41 am

Slaughterhouse Five is one of the greatest books that I've ever read. Here is a list of all the others by him that I loved...

Cat's Cradle
Welcome to the Monkey House
Bluebeard

Hope that was a help to you
REMisCool
Initiate

Unread postby Omega52 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:42 am

Man you should read books by Piers Anthony, he is very good, I read his books when I was a little younger and didn't understand, but he has developed a land known as Xanth in his novels which are just as extensive and greater in quantity than the LOTR series.
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy