Signature discussion thread

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:15 pm

My sig is composed of two quotes(well, actually 3 now that I think about it). One is from good 'ol Albert, whose words there I whole-heartedly agree with. I also get a laugh out of it every time I think about them. :lol:

The second one is a quote from one of my favorite actors, Tang Guo Qiang(he played Zhuge Liang in the mainland RTK series and has also portrayed Mao Ze Dong and Emperor Yong Zheng). His real life has been a perfect example of his words, but they really apply to almost everyone. You have to change the encoding to Chinese Simplified (GB2312) in order for it to read correctly. It translates roughly into: "It's impossible for life to always be smooth and without doubts; it can't always be like fresh flowers. It's just like the old saying: '30 years to the east; 30 years to the west'." Bah. Chinese is hard to translate so that it actually makes sense in English. :? Anyway, it's basically saying that life is full of ups and downs and will not be one way or the other forever.
Last edited by Lady Zhuge on Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:05 pm

Mine is (obviously) a quote from Cao Cao... I just liked the quote, so I used it.
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:11 pm

I changed mine to something a bit more personal. The Sikh warcry. A cry that allows 100 soldiers to sound like 10,000 is one sure way of striking fear into their enemies.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Alucard » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:30 pm

The quote in my sig is from Suikoden I when Pahn is about to challenge Teo in a duel. I just put it on my sig to look good.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Rurouni Kenshin » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:47 pm

Mines from AFI's Sing For Sorrow. Its the last track but its at the way end. Its indeed a moving verse. I cry almost everytime I hear it.
A beautiful face can win popularity, but a beautiful hand can win respect.

~Which one do you prefer?~

"I've killed a helluva lotta people to get to this one. And now, I'm gonna Kill Bill"
Rurouni Kenshin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:17 pm

My .sig is just a tip of the hat to the absurdity in Samuel Beckett's play, Waiting for Godot. The play is essentially about two men who are waiting to meet their friend Godot--a character who is the subject of conversation, but never appears. In fact, every act ends with a boy carrying a message to the two men, which tells them that Godot is not coming today but will tomorrow. The quote in my .sig isn't actually in the play, but is more of a sarcastic joke in reference to the play.
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Kevin » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:32 am

Current sig:
"Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Mine is from... I can't remember where mine is from... hmm...
Oh, well I may have thought it up, but I don't think I'm that clever... Anyone who knows where mine is from, tell me.

I'll most likely routinely change my sig with Linkin park lyrics. I won't say which song, but I'll post here each time I change. Guess right and I'll give you a paper clip! (S&H 6.99)
Kevin

Unread postby Rhiannon » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:25 am

I change my sig every so often. I generally snag a thoughtful quote, and usually it has to do with the environment or something more personally inspiring. This sig, for instance, reminds me to believe in myself and my truth first and foremost:

Be a lamp to yourself. Be your own confidence. Hold to the truth within yourself, as to the only truth.

The Buddha

I imagine it'll change in a week or two.
Last edited by Rhiannon on Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Hizentaru » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:42 pm

The first part of my signature is a quote from the song 'Ghost of a Chance' by Rush. Great song.

I don't believe in the stars or the planets
or angels watching from above
But I believe there's a ghost of a chance
We can find someone to love and make it last

The second part is the translation of my screenname, Hizentaru. Hizentaru translates to Florid Beauty in Japanese.

-Florid Beauty-
But all I could do is close my eyes
And cross my heart and hope to die

xanga | myspace
Hizentaru
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:40 pm

Added a new phrase... anyone know where the quote is from.
Edit: never mind, not enough space, but I was going to add "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
Last edited by Ts'ao Jian on Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads