Lu Xun's bio -- a preview, and some questions

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Re: Lu Xun's bio -- a preview, and some questions

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:37 pm

It's interesting that both of Lu Xun's grandfathers had the surname of Lu(陸). Is that just a coincidence or were his parents cousins or something?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Re: Lu Xun's bio -- a preview, and some questions

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:01 am

Lady Zhuge wrote:It's interesting that both of Lu Xun's grandfathers had the surname of Lu(陸). Is that just a coincidence or were his parents cousins or something?

Fantastic observation! After thinking about this, I realised that I made a translation mistake (marrying between people of the same surname was taboo). Lu Kang (not the one that was his son) was his grand-uncle (Gee what's up with these people! They are so confusing!).

This is why I got confused (people who don't read Chinese or don't care for a Classical Chinese syntax lecture can move on to the next thread now):

陸遜傳 wrote:遜少孤,隨從祖廬江太守康在官。

I had thought that the second half read [[隨從 [祖[廬江太守]康] [在官]]], while it really should be [隨 [[從祖] [廬江太守]康] [在官]]. The 從 should go with 祖, forming the compound "從祖", meaning "granduncle", rather than going with 隨 (both 隨 and 隨從 can mean "follow").

The moral of the story is: linguistic competance is useless without common sense. :oops: Thank you again, Lady Zhuge!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Tyler » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:57 am

Inclusion of the Chinese characters for names of people and places, as well as names of official positions.
Explanation of culture and historical terms whose meaning cannot be deduced from the text. (This is given in roman numerals, to differentiate it from Pei Songzhi's notes.)

I beg you to keep all the info the more detailed the better.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Kongming's Archives