Dissolve the Monarchy?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should the Monarchy be dissloved?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes : 40

Dissolve the Monarchy?

Unread postby English_Druid » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:21 pm

The British Royal family are the wealthiest landowners in the world, do we really need them any more or should we simply get rid of old Queenie?
The British monarch is also the crown of other Commonwealth nations such as Canada, New Zealand and Jamaica. So im sure this decision will affect alot of people.

So what do you think? Ill post my thoughts after other people.

:!: I felt a little tacky posting a poll in current affairs, but Im also aware that alot of people vote without saying anything, and I really wanted to see if there was a consensus on the issue or not. So please state why if possible.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Naurek » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:15 pm

I think the monarchies should be dissolved because I don't like the fact that they weren't voted into office in the first place. From my understanding I have heard the english monarchy is more of a figurehead than a real governmental figure (please correct me if I am wrong). I come from America where people are voted into office by the people. They are chosen because of their views reflecting the views of their supporters. The one with the majority support wins the election and basically represents the views of the majority. I know this may not be fair but it is better than not having a vote at all. Concerning monarchies, people come into power based off birth rather than ideals. This seems strange to me because they may represent nothing at all and yet I have no say in whether they should be voted in or not. I know my view is a bit Americanistic, but hey, I am an American, so go figure.
Naurek
Master

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:50 pm

I'm a bit of a fence-sitter on this one.

On one hand, I think the monarchy has lost its role in today's political scene. Except from giving Royal Assent on bills and stuff, and knighting people, it's not clear what practical function the monarch has anymore. In some cases, the fact that royal people attract more attention than commoners can be used to good ends (like Princess Diana's charitable works), but that is somewhat off-set by the expenses incurred by keeping these people. The system is antiquidated and impratical.

On the other hand, the Royal House has done nothing wrong except for being expensive. It's nice to have the Queen on stamps, currency, etc (I was really shocked at how ugly Hong Kong coins became after 1997). Well, frivolity aside, I am wary of demolishing the monarchy at one go unless extraordinary circumstances call for otherwise. What do you do with the royal family after that? What do you do with the House of Lords (if the monarchy is removed there is no reason why the aristocracy should remain)? What do you do with the Anglican Church (which, if I understand correctly, has the head-of-state of England as its head)? And like E.D. said, it would also affect the governance of Commonwealth countries -- not only will we lose our beloved Commonwealth Games and have to decide what to do with all the portraits of the Queen in schools and in the Ferries, but the governments would have to be restructured. Here in Canada, for example, the Governor-General and the Lieutenant-Governors (equivalent to the Prime Minister and provincial Premiers respectively) are Throne-appointed. It costs a lot of money to restructure governments and redraft the constitution, etc. Then you have to figure out how to appease the royalists.

So that's why I voted "no". As it stands now I think keeping the status quo is better than risking political turnmoil -- besides I don't think Commonwealth countries would fare better without the monarchy, except maybe having a tiny bit more money to spend. Of course, if the UK goes bankrupt, or some monarch down the road does something horrendous, then I'm happy to agree that the time has indeed come for a change of government.

[P.S.: Having a monarch as head-of-state in Canada also provided for fun politics, like back when the separatists Bloc Quebecois was voted into the opposition, they got to be called "Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition Party" :D]
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:41 pm

The monarchies are just for show now, in my opinion. It seems like the government's in control...whether or not that is true I don't know...It just feels like there's no point having any monarchy...
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby Asellas » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:25 pm

Royal family are figureheads who actually have no actual power and they must pay taxes... even the Queen does though I ain;t keen on her -_-.
Dissolve it and let the government run the 'bloody Mary' :lol: country though it wouldn't make a difference....
I'll try and get out my notes in a bit and edit this later.... gotta revise what i'm saying... :roll:
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Naurek » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:31 pm

Is the only monarchy around the monarchy of England? There are still monarchies that have power. There are kingdoms in Africa which in many cases are totalitarian dictatorships. England is not the only monarchy, perhaps maybe the only one where the royal family doesn't have any real power, but still not the only one.
Naurek
Master

Unread postby GuangRong » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:59 am

Naurek wrote:Is the only monarchy around the monarchy of England? There are still monarchies that have power. There are kingdoms in Africa which in many cases are totalitarian dictatorships. England is not the only monarchy, perhaps maybe the only one where the royal family doesn't have any real power, but still not the only one.

Japan.

Demark I think ..and some other european countries..
Magister mundi sum!!
GuangRong
Langzhong

Unread postby Shield of Rohan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:09 am

Us Americans like to joke about the uselessness of the English monarchy, but really it is a symbolic figurehead of Britain's past glories. As such, I think the monarchy is a positive tradition that gives identity to the nation. I say it should not be dissolved.
"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded, what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Shield of Rohan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:16 am

I say no, just because its considered a link to the past, the old ways.
Although it really means nothing to me, b/c im an American, and we supposedly hate all royalty....

Still...They pay taxes, do a lot of charity work, and they don't get paid by the taxpayers, i THINK, so why not?
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby Looney Dutchy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:20 am

Naurek wrote:Is the only monarchy around the monarchy of England? There are still monarchies that have power. There are kingdoms in Africa which in many cases are totalitarian dictatorships. England is not the only monarchy, perhaps maybe the only one where the royal family doesn't have any real power, but still not the only one.

Don't forget us Dutchies, we also have a monarchy which doesn't really have any real power. In our country it is also often debated if the monarchy has to be gotten rid of. To say it in kind of a cruel way..
Don't think you're weird, just act like it!

For the World War 2 freaks :
Feldgrau WW2 Forum
Looney Dutchy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs