Questions about art courses at uni

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Questions about art courses at uni

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:58 pm

Hi there people, I have a few questions concerning courses at college/university.

1/ I have just started taking an interest in Japanamation, and was wondering what sort of courses you did?
2/ Is there actually a specific course on Anime Art?
3/ What area of art should I look into, the Art (fine) side or the Multimedia based subjects( i.e. Animation, computer Art work)

I just need some guidance thats all.
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Re: Questions about art courses at uni

Unread postby Jeune Fille » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:52 pm

Blue lightning Dave wrote:Hi there people, I have a few questions concerning courses at college/university.

1/ I have just started taking an interest in Japanamation, and was wondering what sort of courses you did?

Most colleges don't focus on japanamation. In fact including japanamation type art in your portfolio will usually cause a school to deny your acceptance. In Japan and other parts of Asia they have colleges for it, but in the states the closest you'll find are actual animation classes with a more american styled art. Calarts and Ringlings are top animation schools in the states, but very selective in who gets in.

Blue lightning Dave wrote:2/ Is there actually a specific course on Anime Art?

See my above comment

Blue lightning Dave wrote:3/ What area of art should I look into, the Art (fine) side or the Multimedia based subjects( i.e. Animation, computer Art work)

I just need some guidance thats all.

Depends. What are you better with? Computers or a pen and paper? Both take a tremendous amount of practice and dedication. Computer animation is steadily replacing old animation, so it may be easier to find a job if you decided to go into computer animation. If you choose a more traditional route, rest assured traditional animation will never completley die out. Behind all those lovely computer animated films, was an artist who actually sat down and drew those scenes by hand.
Jeune Fille
Initiate

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:02 am

Jeune Fille wrote:In Japan and other parts of Asia they have colleges for it

Anyone heard of LaSelle-SIA college of the Arts; it's in Singapore? I'm not sure if it offers such a course though. I'm currently trying to decide what to take up for tertiary education and rather interested in this type of Art course. I am hoping that someone here has knowledge of this college, or some other institution in S'pore that offers this.
University applications end Apr 1st, so if anyone knows, please hurry to post! Me desperate :(
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jeune Fille » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:48 am

Zhanghe_of_Wei wrote:
Jeune Fille wrote:In Japan and other parts of Asia they have colleges for it

Anyone heard of LaSelle-SIA college of the Arts; it's in Singapore? I'm not sure if it offers such a course though. I'm currently trying to decide what to take up for tertiary education and rather interested in this type of Art course. I am hoping that someone here has knowledge of this college, or some other institution in S'pore that offers this.
University applications end Apr 1st, so if anyone knows, please hurry to post! Me desperate :(

I wish I could help you but I really don't know much about art colleges not in the Untited States. I checked the webpage for the college you mentioned and they do seem to have an animation course:

http://www.lasallesia.edu.sg/secondary.html?courses/diploma_degree/multimedia/index.html

though I don't think it focuses on anime. (I don't think there are really many colleges that do or would)

I'm also in the process of applying many places so I understand the headache you may be going through.... Good luck!
Jeune Fille
Initiate

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:38 am

I've been to that website before, and it didn't elaborate about what kind of art is being taught. :( This is so unfair...they're so hard to find :wahh:
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:45 am

I am from England and know it will be hard to find something related to this. I perhaps will take a course in Multimedia arts (including Animation) then I will be free to do what I please. But if anyone has info on British Uni's please tell me.
Forever X

Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:57 am

Well, since there aren't any animation courses here to my liking, I'll be applying for something else in a local university. One of the job prospects for this course is "graphic designer". I'm not sure what graphic designers do exactly, so I hope someone can help me out here :)
So what can graphic designers do? Do they have the skills required to do/enhance drawings?
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:18 am

Graphic designers are very skilled people, I did some research on some course for ya worldwide and it depends on what areas you want to do.
Some graphic designers just use a pen and design clothes and do not actually touch the fabric, they tell the makers what to make.
Some are more mathematically involved with the fabric, measurements and estimates etc.
The others produce the items personally this is more comon in a home buisness or street fabric store (like the one my uncle owns on the isle of wight).
Forever X

Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:37 am

Blue lightning Dave wrote:Graphic designers are very skilled people, I did some research on some course for ya worldwide and it depends on what areas you want to do.
Some graphic designers just use a pen and design clothes and do not actually touch the fabric, they tell the makers what to make.
Some are more mathematically involved with the fabric, measurements and estimates etc.

Wow this lot is all about graphic designers into fabrics :o :lol: I guess you're just using that as an example, yes?
So you're saying "graphic designers" can design stuff that is in their field, by pen-and-paper (or using computer software..?) "Graphic designer" is quite a general term then.

Thanks, Blue Lightning Dave :)
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:48 pm

Yeah sorry I used it as an example because as a designer 'fabric design' uses different skills in design. This course can lead on to jobs in architecture, construction, production aswell as fabric.
Forever X

Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration