Art Tutorials

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Art Tutorials

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:48 pm

I thought this would be a good topic to see in this forum, especially since I read D_G's mini-lesson on shading in the tools thread.

Post any lessons, tutorials, hints or tips you have regarding art "how-to"s. This includes drawing, painting, using Photoshop, etc. Anything you know how to do, please feel free to share. Also please feel free to share any links to tutorials/how-tos that you may have and feel that are useful.
Last edited by Rhiannon on Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Wen Yang » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:22 pm

This is where I learned how to shade and color with photoshop... There is also a link in the tutorials section of the main page to learn how to use Paint Shop Pro as well.

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/cgmain.html
"You fools! Have you then no regard for your lives?" - Wen Yang at Lojia Bridge
Wen Yang
Academic

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:42 pm

To quote from my arts site (http://www.scarletfenril.com), what my partner "Fenril" said:

Fenril wrote:1. Ironically, study your drawings and you'll almost find what you did wrong, and you will know what to improve on the next piece that you will draw.

2. Only draw when inspiration hits.... many a sleepless night when feeling like drawing but have no idea what it is I'm drawing (aka a waste of time, lol)

For me, my advice is to stick to the style you're comfortable in. I learned this the hard way..... ^___^
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Maria » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:27 am

Her avatar is Quistis Trepe from FFVIII ^_^ But about the coloring... *nudge W-E*

Anyway I agree, and I'll make this sticky. We can do a lot with it :)

Jiang Zhi, indeed experience is the best teacher you can get, but to know the basic stuff is important as well. The Shadow-ing tutorial that I posted a while back was only the basic. I tend to go astray from there once I master it, and I found it easier to adapt to your new style afterwards.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:00 am

Hahah, I answered in PM, but I didn't color it. It's actually a piece of fanart on the net, by Naska. She's got some rather seksey work done. ^_^ You can find some here: http://rpgpalace.gamersuplink.com/fans/fanart/naska/ and the rest here: http://pendako.syste.ms/ .

I might as well contribute something to the thread myself. Most of the old drawing links I had I lost, so I'll bring them as I find them. I have found www.drawfluffy.com to be helpful, if a little vague. The concepts are what's important though, and it's been very helpful in understanding some great fantasy drawing techniques.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Asellas » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:07 pm

This maybe weird but my tip is to relax and span a lot of time of them. I feel and I bet there are others where we have to compete making good avatars and that we have to Rival James who makes his own from scratch on Photoshop.
Always spend a lot of time on it and just relax and enjoy learning from your mistakes to improve, not by getting a good result and it looks good or better than the one James makes. take pride in your work, it is all brilliant.

I was just thinking on giving this advice since feeling like these can end up wrecking the work that could be a masterpiece.

Also, do a bit at a time, so if you want to draw a circle or anything or a face just do a bit by bit process and not holding the mouse down and letting go when you fifnish, as you could have a really good bit but the rest might not be so good and you have the histroy tool so you can delete a bad bit and keep the good bits.
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Yot » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 pm

Ooooh... Another good place to find a tutorial (that helped me a lot!) is Lorelai's! Her website is, http://lorelai.com.

Something I would recommend is to get a pen tablet to work with (I hope I'm going to get one.. Eventually! ^o^) Having a scanner and scanning the image is such a pain! Why? Because you have to clean it up and ink and so forth... So that's just a lil' tip or suggestion, or whatever. I think. :)
Holy-shizzle-fizzle-sizzle...
Yot
Tyro

Unread postby ACG » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:10 pm

This thread is great! :D Though i still can't get tthe idea of paint shop pro.
ACG
Master

Unread postby Lynn » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:03 pm

I need tutorials how to make CG work. Any guys here have their links? :)
Lynn
Langzhong

Unread postby PangDeGuy » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:51 am

Wen Yang wrote:This is where I learned how to shade and color with photoshop... There is also a link in the tutorials section of the main page to learn how to use Paint Shop Pro as well.

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/cgmain.html

Man, that site taught me a lot. That's a good site. Anymore?
PangDeGuy
Assistant

Next

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration