China Travel Photos - Cao Cao's hometown, tons o' TK kitsch

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Re: China Travel Photos - Cao Cao's hometown, tons o' TK kit

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 pm

These are great pictures Nazne. I agree with Rydain that you gave excellent commentary alongside them.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Really great work, Naz. I especially like the one where someone is snapping you as you‘re snapping CC and Xian.

Lady Wu wrote:Both Cao Cao and King Tang look a bit chubby. And even Cao Pi. Perhaps that's their way of portraying regal people? (Though Emp Xian looks pretty svelte)!

http://www.fujiarts.com/japanese-prints ... 3k209d.jpg

Yeah it seems to me that‘s common in the region as a way of portraying badasses. E.g. Nobunaga, Kenshin, etc., look like they had about the same proportions as a city bus.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:]http://www.fujiarts.com/japanese-prints/k209/183k209d.jpg

Yeah it seems to me that‘s common in the region as a way of portraying badasses. E.g. Nobunaga, Kenshin, etc., look like they had about the same proportions as a city bus.

:shock: I feel sorry for that horse in the picture!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Nazne » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:43 am

Lady Wu wrote:Awesome cool pictures!

Both Cao Cao and King Tang look a bit chubby. And even Cao Pi. Perhaps that's their way of portraying regal people? (Though Emp Xian looks pretty svelte.)

Cao Cao brand sesame oil is pretty cool. I actually don't remember seeing sesame oil carts in China--seems to be a more old-timesy thing. What's the rest of Bozhou like? Does it have other similar traditional things still? Or does it seem to be the kind of town that's built up recently for tourism?

That's cool that so many famous historical figures come from the same place (even though they've definitely stretched geographical boundaries a bit and appropriated people)--just the thought of having the statues of Confucius, Laozi, Cao Cao, Emp. Xian, and whoever else hanging out on the main stretch of their hometown is pretty neat!

I think it's the art style too - at least this is what I remember of a lot of old Chinese art, especially of emperors (see: Liu Bei, Sun Quan's portraits). Emperor Xian wasn't cool and imposing enough an emperor to get the fattening up, apparently.

I'd say Bozhou is still pretty traditional; it's only really advanced in the last 15 years, before which it was a pretty small farming village with a lot more open land and single-family brick houses. The background of that streetsign pic was the main street, and the town center + train station looks pretty developed, but go anywhere in town and you'll see street vendors all over the place, the occasional brick shack, old-style courtyard houses, old people gossiping outside, and a *lot* of rubble. It's also a very dusty place, due to the smog and dryness and the fact that apparently farmers burn their trash (including plastic).

Rydain wrote:
Nazne wrote:How was White Emperor City? Is it mainly famous for being where Liu Bei died, or are there other historical landmarks there too?

It was a shore excursion from a Yangtze river cruise that was part of our big bus tour - a cheap way to get into China and logistically friendly for newbies who don't speak the language or know anyone over there. Long covered walkway from the dock across the river, grand statue of Zhuge Liang, 300-odd stairs up the hillside (originally around 1000 before the Three Gorges Dam flooded out the region, and with porters offering to carry you up for a fee), terraces among palm trees and a colorful yellow temple, statues of Liu Bei and his brothers and assorted Shu generals. Some were supposedly beheaded in the Cultural Revolution and restored. There was some display of Liu Bei's genealogy that we glimpsed through a window but had no chance to see in detail. The guide talked about the Battle of Yiling and other such context.

I'm not sure what other historical attractions were in the region - either accessible from a Yangtze cruise, or in general - but I enjoyed the stop. :)

Ooh, that sounds fun - I'm thinking of traveling through the Sichuan region this summer, and possibly capping it off with a Yangtze cruise, so if we get to visit Baidicheng I'll definitely take a good look around.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Previous

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration