How do you overcome artistic blocks?

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

How do you overcome artistic blocks?

Unread postby Semiazas » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:10 pm

It seems only natural that anyone who does any form of art, be it painting, writing, whatever, will suffer creative blocks on occasion, where they can't really do anything and don't know how to start a piece or continue a piece etc.

So, this leads me to my question, how do you guys deal with artistic blocks?

For me, it tends to be either writing anyway, hoping something good turns up. Although that rarely works, I just find myself bringing the idea around in circles until, in my head, a way to move it forward, for want of a better word "clicks". I wound up doing this with a short script I wrote a first draft of called "Sins of the Father".

Or I take a step back from everything, leave it alone for a while. But the problem with that is when I do it, my mind seems to switch off from what it was that I was doing and I rarely come back to it.

I can't overcome blocks very well at all -.-
Semiazas
Apprentice

Re: How do you overcome artistic blocks?

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:06 am

Usually, I either observe works that are similar in subject or my style. After that, I usually think of what my work may be lacking or the interest in itself. From there, I'm usually able to pick up.

And then, sometimes it's just the need for a time of separation.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:54 am

Semiazas wrote:For me, it tends to be either writing anyway, hoping something good turns up. Although that rarely works, I just find myself bringing the idea around in circles until, in my head, a way to move it forward, for want of a better word "clicks". I wound up doing this with a short script I wrote a first draft of called "Sins of the Father".

I never try to write myself out of a block. I always end up producing crap. Uninspired, banal crap, because the heart isn't in it.

But me? I read, watch movies, listen to music. Sometimes they cover similar themes, sometimes they don't. Another thing I do is make a very strong cup of coffee to jolt the ol' noggin. I confess I also smoke (tobacco) every now and then. Stuff kills you, but damned if it doesn't work.

Another thing I do is try to edit stuff I've already written. That comes a lot easier than trying to break new ground, and you improve your existing material and might even inspire you to get it going again.

Lastly, I'd suggest writing badly. I mean stuff so terrible you double over laughing. Have fun with it. Create insipid stories and poems loaded with purple prose, for example. You know, where a girl with curly brown hair going outside on a sunny day suddenly becomes a "dashing ingenue boasting coiled Tiger's Eye locks striding into the azure wonderland brightened by the golden orb of the heavens" or some crap. Laughter's the best medicine, and believe it or not, breaking out the adjective and metaphor pepper mill might even get some inspiration flowing.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Semiazas » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Yeah, just writing isn't a good choice. I don't even know why I do it as it accomplishes nothing and certainly produces nothing of merit.

I guess the best thing to do would most likely be to take a step back, not look at any of your own work and look at other stuff, so you can empty your mind about your own stuff and then come back to it perhaps with some inspiration or at least a clear head with which to try again.
Semiazas
Apprentice

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration