LW's travel photo thread (image-intensive)

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

LW's travel photo thread (image-intensive)

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:40 pm

About time, I know. And also I know I still haven't finished that old Kyrgyzstan/Northwest China thread from a few years ago, but my Muse has left me and I can't think of how to write up the rest anymore. There are a few pictures from the Xinjiang/Gansu stretch that I wanted to share, though.

Oil Park in Karamay, Xinjiang
- In a normal park you walk and enjoy the grass and smell the roses. In Oil Park you walk around admiring the black gold that's oozing out by your feet (stay on the designated walkways; it's really hard to wash crude oil off your shoes).

The Temple of the Western Goddess, Heaven Lake, Xinjiang
- The legendary hang-out spot of the Western Goddess in the Celestial Mountains (Tianshan), Heaven Lake is now an over-hyped tourist trap. Well, you'll still find some nice places if you have enough time and patience and move far enough from the central areas, but for most visitors this is what they see:

The sign saying "Heaven Lake":

And nice toilets:
- Definitely 3-star standard.

Ruins of the Han-era Great Wall, somewhere in Gansu Province
- When they built the Great Wall, they used whatever material was at hand. In the east it was stones and rocks (like what you see in your standard Great Wall photos), but in the desert West it's clay and mud. Yeah, that's the original wall from the Han.

While on the subject of the Great Wall, here's a bit of the restored Ming Dynasty wall, at Jiayu Pass in Gansu.

Inside the restored Jiayu Pass:

They also had a random temple thing inside which featured this:

Crescent Moon Springs, Dunhuang, Gansu

With that out of the way, our next stop is Newfoundland, Canada. Stay tuned.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Newfoundland: Prelude

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:04 pm

One summer day last year, my sister and I met up in Nova Scotia (just because that's the kind of place you meet up), and took the ferry over to Newfoundland.

From the ferry deck, bidding farewell to Nova Scotia (sorry, just had to put that in):

The MV Caribou, which was retired just a few months after it brought us over to The Rock.

The village of Port-aux-Basques at dusk.

There are three parts to this piece of rambling. First involves Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the west. Then we have pictures from our 12-day hike on the East Coast Trail, which meandered along the eastern coastline joining up coastal villages south of St. John's (we had intended to hike the full length of the mapped section, which was a bit over 200 km, but we wimped and took a few shortcuts. At the end we only covered 165km on foot). And finally pictures from St. John's, the capital of Newfoundland and Labrador.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Re: LW's travel photo thread (image-intensive)

Unread postby GuoBia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:56 am

Wow, nice!!!! See, if you can't travel, do so vicariously through Lady Wu! Thanks for posting, I had fun looking through them! ...I notice no food pics.

THAT PASS IS WONDERFULLY GORGEOUS. It's so solitary yet BUUUUUTIFUL YOU HAS MORE PICS? *Headbangs computer*
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:27 am

Thanks, GB! I might post more in the Kyrgyzstan/Xinjiang thread... kinda want to keep this a thread where I don't feel compelled to write novels in. :P

But, since you requested, food pics.

Some chili and meat stew. They're really into chili peppers. We're all spice-tolerant people but there's only so much chili peppers you can eat in one go.
- Yes all those came from that little casserole dish.

And ok, the obligatory crazy Chinese menu.

Don't ask. I don't understand either.

Thank goodness there are pictures to help.
They gave up after "Explodes fries the sheep's internal organs", and left the last one as "stir yangdu" (it's spicy fried sheep stomach slices)

Or this.
- I need to add that "Money donkey meat and eggs" is actually donkey penis and donkey balls.
Lady Wu

Unread postby GuoBia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 am

XDD LW's Travelogue..

.....Holy eff that belongs on Engrish!! XDD I don't even know what explode can refer to, but this is why you don't use babelfish for professional stuff?
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Newfoundland: Part 1--Gros Morne

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 am

Let's start with one of my favourite photos of the whole trip. From the Green Gardens Trail

Tablelands

Gros Morne Mountain, which gave the park its name. The "trail" is that gully in the middle, which is a good hour's hike scramble up loose rocks.

Going down the other side of the mountain was much easier, and even had stairs in sections.

Gros Morne is a huge national park, but there are a couple of settlements dotted along the coast. Some of them even had libraries (even if it's in the basement of some building, and open only 3 days a week for half a day)...

This is the only hospital in the region. If there's a theme of Newfoundland buildings it's that they're all colourful and fun to look at.

I happen to like this barn/shed as well...
Lady Wu

Newfoundland: Part 2.1 -- East Coast Trail

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:00 am

Yes, walking 215km. I don't remember what made us thought it was a good idea. Like, the longest backpacking trip my sister and I did before this (it was a practice run) was a 6.5 km 1-nighter. Kids, don't do this at home.

Good thing they have place names labelled.

The trail followed the jagged coastline, joining little coastal communities along the way. We went from south to north, aiming to reach St. John's, the capital of the province, in 12 days. The good thing about this trail is that you're only in the wilderness 1-3 days at a time, and every now and then you'll get to see fellow human beings and restock on supplies. The bad thing is that the majority of the settlements were so small that they didn't even have a store or a gas station, so the "restocking on supplies" part isn't always guaranteed. The first two settlements we went through were Cappahayden and Renews. The population was 421 in 2006.

But apparently it's historic enough or something for Prime Minister Stephen Harper to visit the place.
- Uncannily, we were there on Aug 13, 2010.

Later on the trail, we'd occasionally reach a "real" town. They all have "welcome to" signs that boast of how early they were settled. Being from the west coast, where anything 100 years old is "omg it's ANCIENT HISTORY LET'S PRESERVE IT", I don't even know what 1652 means.

You know you're in Newfoundland when restaurants are called "Squid Jigger".
- the red thing in the back is an ATM. Every time we run into an artifact of civilisation like that we felt a weird surge of happiness.

Most of the trail is like this, though, winding in and out along the coast, for over 200km.

Love sea arches:

And cliffs:

One of our favourite camping spots.

To be continued.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:44 am

That is truly beautiful scenery!

And you did very well in capturing it (in regards to all the pictures you posted in this thread). Makes me want to go backpacking. :D

GuoBia wrote:See, if you can't travel, do so vicariously through Lady Wu!

Indeed.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 am

Zhuanyong wrote: Makes me want to go backpacking. :D

Yeah me too... Must... fight... urge.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:36 am

nice pictures there lady wu ! love the scene especially the china ones.

now i see why all the people i know telling me "you should travel at least once"
this world is indeed beautiful

Don't ask. I don't understand either.

that part where the drinks menu are.

wang lao kyrgyzstan (supposely wang lao ji) is a drink that cools and refreshes your body. like you had spicy or fried food, your body has 'fire'. this drink can cool off the 'fire' from your body.
i have this drink in my country

the gaiwan cha... i had no idea
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration