Mikhail's Favourites

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Mikhail's Favourites

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Inspired by Kong Wen's legendary Kong's 100 Greatest 100 Lists thread which is seemingly now defunct, I'll be posting my own list of things I consider my favourites, with a slight variance in numbers (I simply cannot make such a huge list like the Excellent Sausage could). Unlike the Kong Wen's thread, this will consist of things that are outside of music as well, whether it be video games, television shows, foods, etc.

It is obviously my opinion, and you have every right to disagree with me on the rankings of certain items that I post. Furthermore, I will try to update the lists if something new comes along. For example, if I discovered a new song that has blown my mind, I would try to incorporate it into my list somehow.

Anyways without further ado, here is -
Mikhail's Top 50 Favourite Songs (as of October 2010)

1 Something - The Beatles (Abbey Road; 1969)
2 Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (Highway 61 Revisited; 1965)
3 Layla - Derek and the Dominos (Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs; 1970)
4 In My Life - The Beatles (Rubber Soul; 1965)
5 American Pie - Don McLean (American Pie; 1971)
6 Real Love - John Lennon (Imagine: John Lennon; 1988)
7 Hey Jude - The Beatles (Single; 1968, Past Masters; 1988)
8 Don't Let Me Down - The Beatles & Billy Preston (Single; 1969, Past Masters; 1988)
9 Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness; 1995)
10 Let It Be - The Beatles (Let It Be; 1970)
11 Just Like a Woman - Bob Dylan (Blonde on Blonde; 1966)
12 Somethin' Stupid - Frank & Nancy Sinatra (The World We Knew; 1967)
13 Cecilia - Simon & Garfunkle (Bridge Over Troubled Water; 1970)
14 My Love - Wings (Red Rose Speedway; 1973)
15 I've Just Seen A Face - The Beatles (Help!; 1965)
16 Woman - John Lennon (Double Fantasy; 1980)
17 Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses (Appetite for Destruction; 1987)
18 Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie (Hot Space; 1981)
19 If I Fell - The Beatles (A Hard Day's Night; 1964)
20 Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis ((What's the Story) Morning Glory; 1995)
21 Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band (Brothers and Sisters; 1972)
22 Jet - Wings (Band on the Run; 1973)
23 The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) - Simon & Garfunkle (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, 1966)
24 Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (A Night at the Opera; 1975)
25 Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton (Rush; 1992)
26 Band on the Run - Wings (Band on the Run; 1973)
27 D'yer Mak'er - Led Zeppelin (Houses of the Holy; 1973)
28 Landslide - The Smashing Pumpkins (Pisces Iscariot; 1994)
29 Patience - Guns N' Roses (Lies; 1988)
30 Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles (Abbey Road; 1969)
31 All Things Must Pass - George Harrison (All Things Must Pass; 1970)
32 Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye (Let's Get It On; 1973)
33 Stand By Me - John Lennon (Rock 'n' Roll; 1975)
34 Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkle (Bookends; 1968)
35 Rock With You - Michael Jackson (Off the Wall; 1979)
36 Bell Bottom Blues - Derek and the Dominos (Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs; 1970)
37 Baby It's You - The Beatles (Please, Please Me; 1963)
38 November Rain - Guns N' Roses (Use Your Illusion I; 1991)
39 I Don't Want to Miss A Thing - Aerosmith (Armageddon OST; 1997)
40 Golden Years - David Bowie (Station to Station; 1976)
41 Change the World - Eric Clapton (Phenomenon OST; 1996)
42 I Want You Back - The Jackson 5 (Diano Ross Presents The Jackson 5; 1969)
43 The End - The Beatles (Abbey Road; 1969)
44 Calico Skies - Paul McCartney (Flaming Pie; 1997)
45 Oh Yoko! - John Lennon (Imagine; 1971)
46 Somebody to Love - Queen (A Day at the Races; 1976)
47 Let Me Roll It - Wings (Band on the Run; 1973)
48 El Scorcho - Weezer (Pinkerton; 1966)
49 Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye (Midnight Love; 1982)
50 ABC - The Jackson 5 (ABC; 1970)

Thoughts? Opinions?
Go!
Last edited by Mikhail on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Re: Mikhail's Favourites

Unread postby mrbeate » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:19 am

Whewtt Beatles FTW.

I did not see 'Gee' in there :P haha... jokingz
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:44 pm

49) :mrgreen:

I actually like Marvin Gaye's song - I Want You a bit better than this one. Sexual Healing reminds me of the Eddie Murphy movie I-Spy when he gets Owen Wilson's character to say/sing the lyrics to Famke Janssen. So embarrassing and funny but, the song itself is classic.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:49) :mrgreen:

I actually like Marvin Gaye's song - I Want You a bit better than this one. Sexual Healing reminds me of the Eddie Murphy movie I-Spy when he gets Owen Wilson's character to say/sing the lyrics to Famke Janssen. So embarrassing and funny but, the song itself is classic.

That's the reason why I started liking the song. I've heard the song before, but only because of the scene did I start hunting for the song. I absolutely love the song.
Mikhail

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I also noticed you have another of his hits on your list 32) - I love that one as well. You definitely have a uniquely diverse selection there. No Michael Jackson 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough'?

Everytime I think of the song, I think of Rush Hour 2 when Chris Tucker was singing karoake in the Yakuza bar with the dancing girls asking Jackie Chan to come up and join the fun. 'Chum'on Lee!' :lol:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:I also noticed you have another of his hits on your list 32) - I love that one as well. You definitely have a uniquely diverse selection there. No Michael Jackson 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough'?

Everytime I think of the song, I think of Rush Hour 2 when Chris Tucker was singing karoake in the Yakuza bar with the dancing girls asking Jackie Chan to come up and join the fun. 'Chum'on Lee!' :lol:

It's one of the songs I like, but it was hard-pressed to get to the top 50. Its in my top 3 MJ songs, which includes this song, Rock With You, and The Way You Make Me Feel.

My tastes are not too diverse. As you can see, its mostly classic rock songs. However, I do enjoy just generally good music which Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson fall under. Obviously, good music is different per person, but these guys are just legends in the music industry.
Mikhail

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Not sure how open you are to reggae, but this song Is This Love by Bob Marley is one of my favorite songs of all-time. Probably even one of my top 3 or 5 songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHekNnySAfM&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Well 2010 has ended and a new year has dawned. 2010 was a great year so I compiled a list of my top 5 favourite things about the year. Hope you guys enjoy it as it took a bit of time to think about and write. I don't know how much sense it makes though...

So without further ado:

#5 NBC Comedies
I don't watch much television but I got into two excellent comedies in 2010. One of them has been a presence for many years and the second is one that started in 2009 but began hitting its stride in 2010. I'm talking of course about The Office and Community.

The Office has been a hilariously great show for 6 seasons but I only started watching religiously in 2010 after TBS decided to syndicate the series. I haven't looked back since as it has quickly became one of my favourite television shows, buying the first 5 seasons on DVD in January and becoming a constant feature during my trips to and from work through my PSP Go.

Community on the other is a comedy that has a great cast and great writing. It took awhile for the show to become awesome but the episode titled "Modern Warfare" is definitely my favourite of last year. It is about paintball game that takes over the school and turns it into a wasteland to great comedic effect. It was an utterly hilarious epsisode that turned the show into one of my faviourites in the year.

#4 Paul McCartney's Up and Coming Tour and visit to the Air Canada Centre
The Beatles formally took over my life in September 09, 2009 and I made it my mission to see at least one member of the former Fab Four. Once Sir Paul decided to have a tour date in Toronto, I immediately got tickets. Having versed myself in all things The Beatles in the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010, I started discovering Paul McCartney's solo works from The Wings on. A bunch of concert DVDs and a couple of CDs later, I thought I would be able to fully appreciate McCartney's concert.

So after weeks of anxious anticipation the day finally came and I went to the conert with my brother. From start to finish, the concert was nothing short of incredible. He played most of his hits from The Beatles, Wings, etc and he was generally lively throghout his performance which made it that much better. He ended up playing for almost 3 hours which is impressive in itself having a 2nd encore in the process.

The only thing I would probably change is a few of the songs as I would have wanted to hear at least "Calico Skies" but the fact that he played the only song I was wishing for, "I've Just Seen A Face", made the concert untouchable in my eyes. I haven't gone to many concerts in my life, but I don't think any other performer could top that.

#3 Food
I would find this an odd thing to put on my list but I've thoroughly enjoyed a few things that has catalpulted the subject into the list. While it could be any type of food, I'll specify two things; and they are both Asian.

The first is the absolutely delictable beef sashimi that you can find in fine Japanese restaurants. It is basically raw beef that is lightly seared on the outside that is then dipped/swimming in a light-dark sauce that compliments it amazingly. The first time I had it was in an all-you-can-eat restaurant in Markham called "Hachitarou" and it's now something I eat in every Japanese restaurant I go to (if it's available), regardless of its price - which has varied considerably.

The second is the Korean BBQ. I've always loved going to Korean BBQs and 2010 was no different. Anytime I could, I would recommend going to one. The difference between 2010 and any other year is that I discovered a great Korean BBQ place that I frequented many times in the last few months of 2010 (including my birthday) and I thought everything about the place was excellent. The place is called "Chako Barbeque Izakaya" and it's around the Pacific Mall area. The selection of food is great as well as the service and the overall location. Definitely my favourite place to go for eats now.

#2 World Cup 2010 and Tottenham Hotspur
The biggest sporting event in the world landed this year to great fanfare and expectation as it was the first ever World Cup to be hosted in Africa. Though it started off slow, the action quickly turned into memorable matchups that always left me wanting more. The end was memorable too, with karate kicks and a last-grasp goal by a Spanish legend which made the experience great.

It was the first World Cup that I viewed where I could honestly say I was a football fan. The previous World Cups I watched sparingly and only followed so I could chat with friends. This time however, I watched intently and with great knowledge, missing less than 5 games due to prior commitments (and the whole last group game two matches thing). The best part about this year's World cup? My commentary about some of the matches eventually landed me in an actual published book by British sportswriter, Norman Giller, called "World Cup 2010 Day by Day - As It Happened: The Goals, the Games, the Facts, the Stats". How many people can say that they've been in a book? Not many, I think.

2010 was also a great year for my favourite sports club, Tottenham Hotspur of the English Premier League. The beginning of the year revealed the world-class talent named Gareth Bale to the league as he finally had his chance to star and he did not let go. His performances led to Tottenham's inaugural Champions League campaign as we were able to finish in the top 4 for the first time in many, many years.

And when the new season started Spurs made a HUGE bang by absolutely taking the Champions League by storm, with every game being high-scoring and every game being a thriller. Not to mention the total dismantling of the reigning European champions, Inter Milan by the aforementioned Gareth Bale. And the fact that Spurs also signed my former favourite player, Rafael Van Der Vaart, it's no wonder why tottenham Hotspur is one of my favourite things in 2010.

#1 So Nyuh Shi Dae
It was hard to find something I like higher than something I absolutely love, but anyone who has been talked to me in the past few months knows why this is the case. I am of course talking about the Korean Pop Girl Group named So Nyuh Shi Dae (SNSD) or as they are more formally known, Girls' Generation.

I have thrown around words like "obsession" to describe why a group thousands of miles away, speaking in a foreign language has taken me by storm and it is truly the case. I have not, since the end of November, listened to anythiing but SNSD. I wish it was an exaggeration, but it is not the case. I spent $200 in the last month attaining and importing their complete discography (even repackages) and I listen to them multiple times a day. Their influence has grown so much that while other people might listen to rap or rock/metal music to amp themselves up while playing games like Call of Duty: Black Ops, I listen to SNSD - and to great effect. I apparently play Call of Duty MUCH better with 9 girls singing in the background.

So what is it about these girls that has got me in this state? Initially, I just thought they were cute and hot, which is still the case. However, their music started to grow on me and I started appreciating just how great their songs are and just how talented their members are. Their tunes are catchy and the singers are just absolutely adorable. They just seem so much like dorks and less the snobs that we see in Western stars. They just seem to want to have fun and enjoy themselves. And they’re also full of aegyo. That ADDICTIVE aegyo. Because of this there's really no reason as to not love them.

If you'd have told me earlier in 2010 that I would be listening to K-Pop by the end of the year, I would have laughed you out of the building for being so absurd. The mere fact that I have and still currently am is a testament to just how integrated these 9 awesome girls are into my current life. Only one musical act has ever gotten me so obsessed like this, and they were the greatest musical act of all time. The Beatles.

(Slight disclaimer - I don't listen to any other K-Pop or any other Asian music for that matter aside from So Nyuh Shi Dae)

Special Mention - #sosz
Born on the same day as I was, #sosz has become my place to hang out and the company has, as always, been great. Having a chatroom to talk about the most random of things (from games, current events, sports, everyday life, etc) with intelligent people while generally just fooling around is why it gets a special mention in my favourite things of 2010 list. Sometimes, there’s just no other place I’d rather be.
Mikhail

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 am

I AM SIMPLY HONOURED to have inspired such a marvel on this forum that is not only my home but simultaneously my child, my parent, and my sexy sexy lover. My 100 lists are not defunct; I have simply been working on my List of 100 Things That Prevent Me From Updating My 100 Lists List! My Cao is it ever going to be a beauty. Wait and see.

I CAN ONLY SAY that the idea of #sosz makes me think that the internet MUST BE ALIVE AFTER ALL for it to be able to defecate. :pika: :pika: :pika: :pika: :pika: It would be so nice to be able to have a built-in chat right at the top of our beautiful front page, so sausagers could browse this site and chat all in one place. I used to haunt IRC a lot way back in 1997, back before MANY OF YOU WERE EVEN BORN. Hilariously, since I've turned 30 and my life is almost drawing to a close, I decided to go back and revisit the ancient abandoned technologies of my youth (IRC, MUDs, USENET, always appropriately capitalized) to find a bunch of grumpy old men clinging to the tattered remnants of their glory days. Remember when we used to be the cutting edge youth, masters of the future!? No one knew how to use the internet like us! Look at all the awesome stuff we can do! And technology soldiered on without them while newer, smarter, younger, crazier internet pioneers gave us Facebook and Twitter and YouTube and BBM and SMS and however the f••• else all those 8-year-old iPhone-slingers talk to each other in class! The forum is a dead enough netstructure. Have we now FULLY and HONESTLY accepted embraced our new RETROSITY by going back to IRC as a favoured chat medium? I am flabbergasted. I mean that in the best way possible.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Ah! YAY!

Kong Wen came back to post on my thread! I feel special :P
Mikhail