Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition (updated August 2015)

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition (updated August 2015)

Unread postby Rydain » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:00 am

Also known as the apology thread for neglecting my writing. :oops: I've been poking at fan art for a while - not producing much per se, but getting better over time. It's mostly Dynasty Warriors inspired, but I have plans for more historical interpretations of my favorite figures.

At Mai Castle - Cao Ren & Lu Meng friendship piece inspired by their joint command of the forces against Guan Yu in DW5:XL, which was loosely based on the historic Wei/Wu collaboration of 219 AD. This was my Leeroy Jenkins approach to learning line art illustration. I'm proud. :mrgreen: From this same picture, here's Cao Ren by himself.

A Break After Battle (male chest nudity) - Cao Ren from the New Three Kingdoms TV show with Dynasty Warriors influence for his facial features. I drew this quickly and simply to get me back into the habit. I plan to ink or paint it eventually.

Hello Kitty Cao Ren - Inspired by his particular fandom in the the Three Kingdoms comic. :P
Last edited by Rydain on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rydain
Assistant

Re: Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Nice clean lineart for the Cao Ren & Lu Meng piece. I'm curious how long have you been using Photoshop and tablet to draw?
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rydain » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 am

Thank you!

I got an intermediate level art education in high school, did nothing with the skill for a decade (other than working on cosplay costumes), and bought my tablet two years ago. I was clumsy at first, especially because I was out of practice with sketching. I've been working on and off since then, with a long hiatus last year when I preferred to focus on writing. That line art went through many failed drafts, and I did a few studies to teach myself fabric pleats and other pieces that were confusing me. :D
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:22 am

Shirtless Cao Ren... droooool~~~~
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Rydain » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:45 am

Thanks! I'm painting him digitally now. :D I hope to get his head done next week so I can post a portrait while working on the rest. His pants are going to take me a while. This is an experimental lesson in Things I Never Learned to Paint in School.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby GuoBia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Coolio! <33 You're using Photoshop to paint?
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rydain » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Yep! It started out as casual experimentation with color, and then I decided to go for semi-realism. I'm quite the slowpoke, but that's pretty much expected for my first attempt at painting a person.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby GuoBia » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:54 am

Coolio! I can't wait to see! : D Ouch, good luck with the fabric! Hey, if worse comes to worse just slap a texture over the whole thing. XD

Ring me up if you want any unhelpful advice lol. XD
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 am

Pretty awesome stuff buddy, to be honest I thought you maybe used the line tool in Illustrator.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Rydain » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Thanks! The secret is to work big and at high resolution. This means that you can zoom in to clean up irregularities, and many of said irregularities get lost when you shrink the image down to its final size. My working files are 4x the size of the finished image and 300 dpi.
Rydain
Assistant

Next

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration