Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition (updated August 2015)

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Re: Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition

Unread postby Rydain » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 am

I've been working on my first major coloring projects based on some of the line art posted earlier.

Cao Ren portrait - from "A Break After Battle". No nudity - I put a half shirt on him. :D The full body version will be finished eventually. I just wanted to post some form of standalone progress.

At Mai Castle with pattern overlays - An initial stage of a coloring process inspired by this tutorial from Cheryl Austin. It still needs painted highlights and shade, which are in progress. I also wrote a basic tutorial on pattern overlays for anyone curious about the specifics.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:21 am

Very nice! Glad to see the updates! :D
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Nice! I wish I can draw as well. Human portraits are not easy to draw. :D

(I think that scene from the TV series has inevitably spawned quite a number Cao Ren fans due to those unholy abs.... I think I'm one of them. :devil: )
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Rydain » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Belated thanks to all!

Cao Ren has been my favorite 3K guy for a while, thanks to his historical awesomeness and sensitive badass persona in the older Dynasty Warriors games. His shirtless TV portrayal was just the icing on the cake. :D

I had a lot of trouble with faces until I got Drawing the Head by William Maughan, which really helped me understand how the features work. It teaches you to conceptualize form in terms of light and shadow shapes, and it has plenty of intermediate steps to show how your work should look at each step of the process. I hate it when drawing books go from a cylinder and triangle on one page to a fully shaded Eiffel Tower on the next.

Stoic Lu Meng - More freehand digital ink (yes, even the halberd handle), just because I wanted to do a relatively short illustration project and there's never enough DW6 Meng fan art out there. This took 2 weeks of reasonable leisure time all told, which is far faster than anything I've ever done in this vein. I tried to loosen up my lines and quit fussing over every last irregularity. My style is always going to tend toward heavy precision. I'm fine with that, but I'd like to get some more natural-feeling flow and variation in there.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Rydain » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 am

Not a drawing, but I'm sharing it anyway. 8-)

Dynasty Warriors 7 Cao Ren De-Fuglified - I like the general concept of his new armor. I'm not fond of the hulking pinhead Turnip Torso misproportions, and his face is a hideous disaster. I gave him a face transplant and some tweaks to balance out the costume, and I pretty much wowed myself with the result. :D I'll be making a high quality version of this rather quick edit when I get a super high res CG.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:01 am

I've enjoyed viewing your artwork. It actually is part of what has gotten me back into employing the pencil. Keep up the good work.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rydain » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:44 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I've enjoyed viewing your artwork. It actually is part of what has gotten me back into employing the pencil. Keep up the good work.

Thanks so much! I'm glad I could inspire you in some way. :D

Heavy Metal Matador - A classic Dynasty Warriors design for Cao Ren. I wanted to keep a strongly Chinese aesthetic while adding visual flair and giving him a more impressive silhouette, especially as compared to his bottom-heavy DW5 costume. I did my best to stay on the original side of homage vs. recycling, which is tough with a limited set of base forms to choose from, but I feel that the details differentiate this design from its inspirations.
Rydain
Assistant

Re: Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition (Jan 8)

Unread postby Rydain » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:20 am

Stormy Warrior - A classic Dynasty Warriors design for Lu Meng, influenced by his lightly armored DW7 robes. I love that unique visual identity of a scholarly warrior, and I wanted to get a similar effect with a more Chinese style.
Rydain
Assistant

Re: Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition (Feb 27)

Unread postby Rydain » Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Heroes of Jing - Lu Meng and Cao Ren in their original Dynasty Warriors-inspired costumes. After doing concept designs, I wanted to draw a more interesting composition. This one shows some small improvements in my line art as well.
Rydain
Assistant

Re: Stuff I Draw - Three Kingdoms Edition (May 1)

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 am

That's really cool, Rydain! I like your artwork.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration