Digital Photos

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Digital Photos

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:52 am

I really enjoy looking at a nice digital photo. Everything from a flower to a coke can if taken in an interesting angle. I suspect many other people are also fond of looking at a nice photograph. To that end I am creating this thread. Anyone out there with a digital camera, or a scanner nice enough to do justice to their normal photographs, please feel free to share in this thread.

Try to keep posted images to a width of 640px or less. If larger, use a link tag instead. :)
Last edited by James on Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:54 am

This morning, together with my brother, we watched something quite interesting. Two wasps were mating, much to the misfortune of the male; he is now dead in my front yard. The female was tired afterward, and was compliant with the idea of me picking her up on a leaf for a photography session. Of the 16 photographs I took, this is the one I like the most. :)

“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:18 am

Really beautiful :) I used to work in a photo developing shop :D How'd you know which was male and/or female?
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:22 am

Jiang Zhi wrote:Really beautiful :) I used to work in a photo developing shop :D How'd you know which was male and/or female?

Because he was smaller, and he was the one that died. 'Tis how it works.

And speaking of a coke can, heheh...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby lordostrategy » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:25 am

The males die after mating!? That is strange... can you explain how?

And why the enourmous completely off topic picture of a coke can? lol
Try this, you Wuists!

"If Wu was truly the greatest Kingdom, then why did Jin work them like a part time job?" -Justin
Want this buried into your skull? WWO ALL THE WAY!
lordostrategy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Trying to get a lame title from Zhou Dexiang and James... SSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:46 am

lordostrategy wrote:The males die after mating!? That is strange... can you explain how?

Male wasps, in nearly all wasp species, are born and maintained only to mate. Wasp society is dominated by the females, who serve as both queens (mating) and worker bees (working). Males are basically generated only to mate. After the mating process, the male dies. I used to know exactly what caused him to die… something couldn’t be pulled out (and was thus torn off), or he is stung or something. I am finding it to be very hard to locate on the Internet for some reason…

lordostrategy wrote:And why the enourmous completely off topic picture of a coke can? lol

Two reasons.
1) Because I can. Heheh.
2) Because nobody seemed to like my wasp.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby lordostrategy » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:01 am

To think, Human society was just the opposite a few decades ago!

Mabye he stings her, since that would result in his death if he was a bee.... Ill see if I can find anything.
Try this, you Wuists!

"If Wu was truly the greatest Kingdom, then why did Jin work them like a part time job?" -Justin
lordostrategy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Trying to get a lame title from Zhou Dexiang and James... SSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:17 am

lordostrategy wrote:Mabye he stings her, since that would result in his death if he was a bee.... Ill see if I can find anything.

It would be the case if he was a bee, but he is not. He is a wasp, and using their stinger does not pull out their vital organs (unlike the case with bees).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby lordostrategy » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:25 am

This is all google had...

Male wasps do not work in the nest. Their only purpose is to mate with the newly hatched Queens before winter comes. After mating, most of the male wasps die, victims of old ahe or predators. The workers do not live long after leaving the nest. Tue lonely Queen usually dies after laying all her eggs.

Old Ahe or Predators.... mabye it is somewhat possible that they survive to die later. We would have to go deeper into Old Ahe.... whatever that is.
Try this, you Wuists!

lordostrategy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Polykleitos » Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:20 am

Hmm... In honeybee colonies, the males' wings are chewed and they are expelled from the nest. I've seen a few male honeybees with damaged wings wandering about before.

And I did like your wasp, James, I just hadn't posted.
Semi-proud artist and co-writer of Heroes In Training
-formerly known as Beautiful Zhang He-
Polykleitos
Assistant

Next

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration