Xinjiang--South of Kashgar [photo intensive]

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Re: Xinjiang--South of Kashgar [photo intensive]

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Terranigma Freak wrote:What did they serve for lunch?

Unfortunately, nothing special.

They asked me what I'd like for lunch. I named some traditional Kyrgyz dishes. They laughed at me and made me tomato egg foo-yong on rice. :(

So they were just being a tease huh? It's a shame, eating exotic foods from different countries is one of my favorite thing.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Terranigma Freak wrote:So they were just being a tease huh? It's a shame, eating exotic foods from different countries is one of my favorite thing.

It did make me wonder, though, how much cultural and national identity is shared between the Kyrgyz in the Kyrgyz Republic and the Kyrgyz in China. I dunno. It just struck me as weird since eggs with tomatoes was not a dish I've seen anywhere in Kyrgyzstan, but a popular cheap, quick dish in China.

It was also weird speaking Mandarin to them.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby GanNing77 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:04 am

What a wonderful thread. It looks like you had an incredible trip Lady Wu. This made me long for traveling. Wow. I loved your pictures and especially your travel journal. Congrats on the growth you must have experienced during this trip and thanks for sharing it with us. I'll have to get to these places someday!
GanNing77
Initiate

Mahmud al-Kashgari's Mausoleum

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Urm. For some reason I never posted these. Mahmud al-Kashgari was a prominent Uighur scholar in the 11th Century. He travelled extensively in Central Asia, documenting the various Turkic languages spoken at that time. As a former linguistics fieldworker, it was only right for me to make a pilgrimage to his mausoleum, in the town of Upal just 50km outside Kashgar. The Uighur-run travel agent from whom I arranged transportation was amused that I wanted to go to the mausoleum. "Han people don't normally know who al-Kashgari is! An excellent choice for sightseeing!" he chuckled. This was good news--if I'm making all this effort to get out of Kashgar, the last thing I wanted to see was a Han-corrupted tourist site like the Id Kah Mosque.

Mahmud al-Kashgari himself:

The mausoleum was actually quite a big site, with various sections and buildings and places to hang out. On the top of a small hill was the main complex. When I was there, there was a group of people doing their afternoon prayers in a courtyard just outside the complex.

On display were various copies of al-Kashgari's magnum opus, the Compendium of the languages of the Turks", and lots of educational information about research done on the subject.

I really liked the insides of the building. Kinda reminds me of Prince of Persia.

A footpath behind the complex led to a viewpoint:

Behind the viewpoint was what appeared to be an abandoned graveyard.

In front of it, though, were lush irrigated fields.

Coming down from the main complex, one could find various courtyards and hangout places:

...complete with random sitting-beds (in Central Asia, you often find people just sitting around outside on one of those bed-looking things, lined with carpet, chatting with each other and just generally hanging out.

...I have no idea what the Uighur part of the sign says, but the Chinese words mean "Be careful" and have nothing to do with the English part of the sign. :?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:03 am

Very cool! I love the architecture and how colorful it is.

It's awesome that it wasn't swamped with tourists, but I can't help but feel kind of sad about that too...
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Shu Ryorin wrote:Very cool! I love the architecture and how colorful it is.

It's awesome that it wasn't swamped with tourists, but I can't help but feel kind of sad about that too...

I love the architecture, too, especially the green/blue/turquoise colour scheme. I find it really refreshing.

I'm curious whether tourism (especially by foreign tourists) has rebounded somewhat at least, since all the riots and stuff happened. Xinjiang is really a beautiful land of contrasts. For example, it's got this:

(Dawakan Desert Tourism Site, southern Xinjiang)

...and this
(Kanas Lake, northern Xinjiang)

And this Engrish sign sums it up best:
(It really means, "This paradise for mankind relies on us preserving it.")
Lady Wu

Previous

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration