Art Requests

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Re: Art Requests

Unread postby Yuni Jiao » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Im not sure if I ask here, but could someone make me an avatar with this picture?

Picture: http://i51.tinypic.com/fokgtg.jpg Just of her face, thank you. :)
Yuni Jiao
Tyro

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:53 pm

There you go.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Here's a version which adheres to the rule of thirds at the expense of her hat.

Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 pm

James wrote:Here's a version which adheres to the rule of thirds at the expense of her hat.

Rule of thirds?

Yours is higher quality, I don't have PS on my work computer. I usually save mines as PNG files.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note: Are you going to post those avis I sent you? I will be sending you another batch once eps 37 & 38 are released.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Rule of thirds?

The rule of thirds is derived in ways from the golden ratio and is one of the most important rules of photography, but it also plays an important role in painting and other mediums where the final result is an unmoving artistic presentation (whether it be a bee, a barn, or a bloke). Playing on how we visually take in the context of presented media (a photograph, a painting, an avatar, or even sequences of a movie) it is just a simple rule of thumb which helps to frame a subject in an interesting and aesthetically pleasing manner. It all comes down to what the subject of the avatar is. Usually if you want to include something like a hat you have to zoom out more and include some clothing to achieve the proper balance, but sometimes when working with smaller dimensions that can be prohibitive. All it really boils down to is I dropped the hat to make her face the focus, moved her eyes up along the top third division, and off-set her to the left a little to accent the way her hair flows and make the avatar a little more interesting.

(But anyway, blah, blah, blah: what really matters is what a person likes most).

Zhuanyong wrote:Yours is higher quality, I don't have PS on my work computer.

I almost always save PNG graphics too. I just milked an extra KB out of this one in JPEG. :)

Zhuanyong wrote:Side note: Are you going to post those avis I sent you? I will be sending you another batch once eps 37 & 38 are released.

Absolutely! I've just been busy for the most recent days working, painting in my home, and preparing for a wedding. It is one of the four things on my phone's to-do list though, so I don't forget. :pika:
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:25 pm

James wrote:The rule of thirds is derived in ways from the golden ratio and is one of the most important rules of photography, but it also plays an important role in painting and other mediums where the final result is an unmoving artistic presentation (whether it be a bee, a barn, or a bloke). Playing on how we visually take in the context of presented media (a photograph, a painting, an avatar, or even sequences of a movie) it is just a simple rule of thumb which helps to frame a subject in an interesting and aesthetically pleasing manner. It all comes down to what the subject of the avatar is. Usually if you want to include something like a hat you have to zoom out more and include some clothing to achieve the proper balance, but sometimes when working with smaller dimensions that can be prohibitive. All it really boils down to is I dropped the hat to make her face the focus, moved her eyes up along the top third division, and off-set her to the left a little to accent the way her hair flows and make the avatar a little more interesting.

Ohhhh, I've never heard it called that -- or at least I wasn't paying attention in class when it was called that.

Yes, I know what you are referring to. I tried to make her face the center of the picture but that's too much work with Paint. :lol:

We usually use our eyes to look top-to-bottom or otherwise center-out.

James wrote:I've just been busy for the most recent days working, painting in my home, and preparing for a wedding.

Trust me, I understand. I spent over six hours this past weekend putting up a swingset. We may also be painting the inside of our home in the upcoming months. Planted a garden outside.

If it's your wedding, then CONGRATS!!! Hope it's an awesome experience! If not, then congrats to whoever will be enjoying the rest of their life with their lovely lady or fellow.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:We usually use our eyes to look top-to-bottom or otherwise center-out.

From my understanding and experience we tend to look for a quick initial focal point in the central areas toward a corner roughly relative to where a 2x2 evenly spaced grid would find juncture points, thus the reason why the 'rule of thirds' has become so loved in various artistic communities. Once we find our initial focal point we either search for one which is more appropriate (artists hope to avoid this) or we follow that focal point to other interests as we explore the work.

Zhuanyong wrote:Trust me, I understand. I spent over six hours this past weekend putting up a swingset. We may also be painting the inside of our home in the upcoming months. Planted a garden outside.

If it's your wedding, then CONGRATS!!! Hope it's an awesome experience! If not, then congrats to whoever will be enjoying the rest of their life with their lovely lady or fellow.

We bought a home last September based on what we envisioned it could be rather than what it was (it definitely needed work) and I've spent much of my time ever since teaching myself how to do various things inside and doing them (we've repaired and repainted nearly the entire interior along with other projects, such as my winter project of replacing all the electrical and installing cool geeky features). Now it is just touch up in rooms we already love. Next comes the yard, and we're quite excited about it. I never thought I'd enjoy this kind of work, but when you're doing it in a home you plan to live in for decades to come it becomes rewarding on a whole new level. :)

And it's my wedding too. We will have had a one-year engagement. ><>
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

James wrote:From my understanding and experience we tend to look for a quick initial focal point in the central areas toward a corner roughly relative to where a 2x2 evenly spaced grid would find juncture points, thus the reason why the 'rule of thirds' has become so loved in various artistic communities. Once we find our initial focal point we either search for one which is more appropriate (artists hope to avoid this) or we follow that focal point to other interests as we explore the work.

I'm bugging, sorry.

I can almost guarantee you every one of my art professors and instructors would play 'facemeetpalm' with me if they heard me say what I said/typed in my previous post. Especially, since I was an art major in H.S. (I had Japanese as an emphasis in the 11th grade) and graduated college initially for graphic design.

I looked at a picture right after reading this and what you stated made complete sense.

Indeed, artists hope to avoid it as when we create a piece of art we (usually) create it with certain a focal point(s).

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sanada » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Can someone make a avatar and a sig about Yukimura Sanada?
Thank you in advance.
Sanada
Tyro

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Sanada wrote:Can someone make a avatar and a sig about Yukimura Sanada?
Thank you in advance.

If I get a chance later on, I'll do an avatar for you. Not sure about the sig, that may take a while if I'm busy which tends to happen.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration