What are your musical talents?

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Play Guitar (Bass)
16%
Play Piano
24%
Drums (Rhythm)
No votes
Sing (Shower included)
32%
Other
24%
Play Rockband
4%

Total votes : 25

Unread postby Mr Liang » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:24 pm

I've done a ton of singing in my day, I'm the only straight guy in my theatre department who likes doing musical theatre.

I also take after my Idol Stevie Ray Vaughan and play some blues guitar.
"Writers always have the last word, probably because we have so many of them." -Gore Vidal
Mr Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Kustin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:31 pm

I've recognized some of my notable singing talents (thanks to the Singstar games for PS2), mostly by singing with my warm voice. It's mostly fit for soul songs, but I am merely a fan of melodic rock and metal songs.

Other than that, it's been around 8 years ago I've taken violin lessons, but I am also working on composing songs with Garageband for Mac... mostly with a keyboard, piece by piece.
I don't get proud when I finish my arts after all the hard work... until you like them. Why? Because I'm doing it for your sake.
Kustin
Sage

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm a composer and songwriter, and I also play all the brass instruments.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Sun Gongli wrote:I'm a composer and songwriter, and I also play all the brass instruments.

A fellow Wuist brass player! I'd almost want to ask if you would marry me! :lol:

I've played the piano for 22 years. I'm pretty good but not at a performance level yet. When I play, it's usually a mode of self-expression for me more than anything. Although I can't improv and rely on reading/memorizing music, it's through creative expression of what's on the page that really gets me going. Haven't been playing much recently, though, due to my having an epic battle with my neighbours. Whenever I complain about their dog barking incessantly for hours during the day, they complain about me playing the piano at night (which is not true--I only play during the day). Meh.

I just started voice lessons after realizing that I have a lot more singing potential than I thought I did. Perhaps this year I'll release my Wuist Christmas Album. :lol:

As for other instruments... I played the French Horn in school until I got my braces off. I'm quite versatile with the recorder (I play all sorts of stuff by ear), too. I don't like things where I have to deal with strings, i.e. guitar and violin/viola. I tried but I just couldn't get the hang of them. :(

PS: Sun Gongli, are you able to transcribe that piano-y sad theme in LoCC? I'd really like to play that on the piano, but I'm stuck after bar 6 or so.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby firerose » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:51 pm

Im a singer and i love to write new songs and find a good beat with my guitar.Mostly metal but i like to play more of r&b type songs.
petals fall.. fires rise.. wars start and never ends.. peace is no more in the eyes of a immortal nor a suffering child.
firerose
Apprentice

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 am

I didn't vote, I am in like 3 of the sections... I play Guitar AND Bass (The Former more than the latter), The piano, and Rock Band. I also enjoy writing music.
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:34 am

I am a budding guitarist... I'm still at the very early stages of learning so I can't play much, just a couple of the simpler Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam riffs...

I love singing along to songs (as long as no one else is around) and I'm terrible at singstar, except for a few songs. I can't hit high notes to save my life.
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
Lord Chuff
Langzhong

Unread postby Master Kong » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Hehehehe...

First off, I started out as a musician. I was in my middle school band, and played drums, so that doesn't really count. I kid, I kid, seriously, that got me a lot of basic theory.

Then I was in marching band throughout High School. In addition, I started playing Bass before my freshman year, and joined my High School Jazz band, which I was in throughout. Also did a few gigs around the high school scene in High School (Rockish sort of stuff), but I wasn't in any permanent band.

I'm also able to play and Guitar Tuned Stringed instrument fairly well, I know Violin tuning well enough, but since all those are bowed, I suck at them (I don't own any to practice on), and I can play keys fairly well. Bass remains my primary.

I've been studying Sound Engineering in school, as well as studying outside and putting my skills to use.

I know music theory very well at this point so I'm a good composer as well.

If folks want to listen to my music, I got a thread in this part of the forum, here's a link [/shamelessplug]

http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=19033
"Ford, you are turning in to an infinite number of penguins. Stop it."
Master Kong
Scholar

Unread postby Lord Lu Xun » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:09 pm

I play piano and guitar.
Speed is the essence of war- Sun Tzu
Lord Lu Xun
Academic

Unread postby Foif » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:05 am

Violin, and ive played for....

5 or so years. Im decent at it, and i plan to continue it, but im not taking anymore classes for it. I enjoyed it overall.
Foif
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration