What are your musical talents?

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

What are your musical talents?

Play Guitar (Bass)
16%
Play Piano
24%
Drums (Rhythm)
No votes
Sing (Shower included)
32%
Other
24%
Play Rockband
4%

Total votes : 25

Re: What are your musical talents?

Unread postby Nazne » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Lady Chen wrote:My husband keeps asking me questions about the Chinese zither and what kind I would like, so I'm hoping that is what I'm getting for Christmas. Zhuge Liang played the guqin, correct?

Wikipedia certainly seems to think so, or at least he played the guqin in the Empty City Strategem. I dunno if there's any more historical source on the subject though - or did you mean in Three Kingdoms?

Lady Wu wrote:Whistling is a talent! I can't whistle for the life of me.

I agree about the composers being crazy. I mean, I took music theory and composition and all, but whenever I play a piano piece (let alone orchestral pieces!) I'm always like, "how did they know to put that note there?!"

It's really odd, whistling. I knew my dad could whistle, so I basically just...taught myself how to, one afternoon, but a lot of my friends swear they haven't the faintest clue how to start. If it helps, it's actually fairly simple once you have the basics down, and all you have to work on is intonation afterwards. (I still really wish I could sing, or go about learning, though)

Ooh, you took composition? I only had the most basic grasp of music theory - like, chord progressions - so even the act of setting down a melody on paper, and then augmenting it with harmonies and the like, is kind of amazing. I guess years of piano did at least teach me music appreciation.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Lady Chen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Nazne wrote:
Wikipedia certainly seems to think so, or at least he played the guqin in the Empty City Strategem. I dunno if there's any more historical source on the subject though - or did you mean in Three Kingdoms?

Do you know what ZGL and Zhou Yu were playing in Red Cliff? That's what I'm thinking of.
Sima Yi is my archnemesis.
Lady Chen
Assistant

Unread postby Nazne » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Okay, I tried to google that scene to refresh my memory, got distracted by Dynasty Warriors, and spent the last hour looking up random anime fanart. And I still haven't found it.

...so I'm just going to say "yes", because from what I remember that definitely looked like guqin.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:10 am

I would volunteer to go look, but I have a feeling what happened to Nazne will also happen to me. :|

So I'll jump on the bandwagon and say that's a guqin.

As long as it doesn't have bridges, else it'd be a guzheng.

It would be so awesome if you got a guqin for Christmas! I was so tempted to take lessons and stuff, and I had to keep reminding myself what happened the last time I took lessons on a string instrument.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Violin and the Piano are my instruments. Music is a career for me, so, have to be multi tasking!
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration