The Permanent "I’m Leaving/Back Thread"

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: The Permanent "I’m Leaving/Back Thread"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:59 pm

No, just moved to a vicar factory! Slightly less extreme I think :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Sorry I've been so inactive recently! College has been far more time intense than I imagined. Apparently learning to read both Hebrew and Greek is time consuming? :lol: Anyway I am still around, but I'm probably only getting on every three or four days so if you respond to me don't worry if it takes time for me to get back to you! :D On the other hand I have no idea when normal service will resume.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Only two? Slacker :wink: I hope your studies go well and your enjoying college, don't way about normal service when you have that
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Hussam » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:39 pm

I don't know how to start this.
I haven't logged in here for so long, a lot has happened and a lot hasn't.
I was going through some very terrible time in my life for the past few years and I only have myself to blame for that, my ill-disciplined lifestyle to be exact.
My performance in university was very poor, I am 22 now and still in my 2nd year of a 5 year degree.
Last year I actually gave my best, or at least what I think was my best, but I had to pass at least 14 subjects out of a total of 18 in order to progress to the next year and I only managed 10.
I was hit by depression at many points during the past few years.
Anime helped for some reason it had a major positive influence on me in the past months.
Videos of J.Peterson helped greatly as well.

This is embarrassing but I don't care.
I can't really promise that I'll be here a lot and I am sorry if this is not the place for such a post but I somehow wanted to write this today so I just went with what my heart wanted.
Who the hell do you think I am?!
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Elitemsh » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 pm

I don't mean to be harsh, actually trying to help but did you really give your best? I notice a lot of people say they did to give themselves comfort. It's just because you mentioned your ill disciplined lifestyle. Sounds like a contradiction. I don't think you should ever aim to pass an exam. I get the impression that's your approach. You should aim for a first class mark then at worst you should at least pass. The best way to succeed in an exam is an organised approach and practice questions as you go along to continually test that you're understanding the material. University exams are all about practicing relevant questions. The examiner has to ask you certain types of questions, if you practice enough you can prepare for anything. You should be able to access past exam papers. I found that's one one of the best ways to prepare. Sometimes they are really lazy and ask you the exact same questions as a year or two before.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hussam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:03 pm

You are not being harsh at all actually.
That thought definitely crossed my mind and I confronted myself with the question "Did you really give your best?".
A part of me thought that maybe there was more, I was afraid I was just comforting myself with thinking that I gave my all and that it was my brain's defence mechanism at work to prevent me from going insane. But, no I am really convinced that there wasn't anything that I could've done and didn't do.

The part about my irresponsible and rather wild lifestyle refers to my life before that, let's say before the earlier months of 2018.

I didn't go with the mindset that I just had to pass. That was the case for around the first month but then I decided I should aim for a decent mark at every subject. Still, 18 subjects in a single study year (two terms) is quite overwhelming, at least by Syrian universities standard and my previous record didn't help me at all, it stood in my way.
That is true about benefiting from past exam papers, it definitely helps and sometimes they are that lazy that they just copy one exactly as is.

Don't get the wrong impression here.
My previous post was not motivated by self-pity, I am way past that.
It was just something I wanted to write at the time.
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Welcome back Hussam and that is an honest, considered two posts. I'm sorry you have had a bad time, fell into bad habits (won't be the first, the hope is they get back int good habits in time) and had depression, I hope your able to find a way forward that works for you

Your always welcome here
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Indeed, welcome back Hussam! In my first year at university I stopped submitting essays at Christmas, got to the end of the year with 7 still due. I understand what its like to put yourself in a corner with no idea on how to get out. Being open is a good first step in dealing with it. If you want any advice or help then we will happy to offer it. Alternatively if you just need a safe space we can provide that as well!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hussam » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Welcome back Hussam and that is an honest, considered two posts. I'm sorry you have had a bad time, fell into bad habits (won't be the first, the hope is they get back int good habits in time) and had depression, I hope your able to find a way forward that works for you

Your always welcome here

Thank you Dong Zhou. It was mainly my own decisions that led me to that path. My habits are way better than they used to be now and I still have a chance at this.
My depression wasn't diagnosed but I am pretty sure I had one, I never believed it existed before it actually happened to me.
I am going to find a way, I have redeeming qualities that will help me find a way.

Sun Fin wrote:Indeed, welcome back Hussam! In my first year at university I stopped submitting essays at Christmas, got to the end of the year with 7 still due. I understand what its like to put yourself in a corner with no idea on how to get out. Being open is a good first step in dealing with it. If you want any advice or help then we will happy to offer it. Alternatively if you just need a safe space we can provide that as well!

Thank you Sun Fin, I really appreciate it.
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:16 pm

I never believed it existed before it actually happened to me

Is that a common attitude in Syria?

I'm sure you will turn it around and changing your habits is a great start to that
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub