Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:07 am

So Naruto ends just a week ago and no one comments about it, well then, gotta say the ending was amazing and so glad we get another movie called Naruto The Last Movie. All so just have to say glad to see Naruto and Hinata ended up together and not just married but with all so two kids hell yeah now all those NaruSaku fans can just shut it. It was a nice long run, glad to see it ended at a great point.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm

I myself didn't like the Naruto ending so much.

But I have been watching Psycho Pass, and boy is it good.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:43 am

I'll take the opportunity to talk about a few anime/manga series I really like. It's worth noting I don't generally watch most mainstream stuff, so Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach (in particular), Death Note and about a million others are right out. I'll space it out, mostly because I like hearing myself talk and because I like to be thorough. Rather than a full wall of text (I know some people are allergic to reading), I'll give one at a time over a long while. This one is straight from my post on the SimRTK portion of the site.

I recently re-watched most of a favorite of mine, Claymore. I believe it was originally a manga that focuses on several characters, which was then adapted into a 26-episode anime with a clear main character, Clare.

Basically, the story is that humanity is in an approximation of the middle ages. There are monsters that roam around the country, called Yoma. Humans are their primary (possibly only) food source. These monsters are extremely fast, strong, and agile compared to humans. They also have the ability to blend in to the population by taking human form. Normal people just don't have a chance against them.

To combat these foes a group known only as The Organization formed a group of fighters that are known as Claymores. Wielding the weapon they are named after, they are infused with Yoma power and called "half-man, half-monster". They are also called "Silver-eyed witches" for their distinctive silver eyes. For some reason, all the fighters are women (this is explained in the show).

The anime is focused and doesn't run on and on, like some. All 26 episodes are relevant and fun to watch. Our main character, Clare, is interesting and the supporting cast is well-done. I remember watching an interview with the main sound producer (I forget his name), and when he first got the pitch, he said something along the lines of "Oh, it's just another show with female warriors". But then when he started reading the script, he was surprised by the deep human feel to it. This is definitely not action-only show. There's some good drama involved, and the actions scenes are mostly great, with only one or two instances of a recycled animation. There are a few emotional scenes that really got to me personally, and the individuals, for the most part, act like actual people. It also doesn't fall into anime clichés too often.

It's really interesting and worth a look. I got the entire series on an impulse buy at the mall for $50. Some searching and effort will likely get it below $40, since it's been out a while. This is an action-packed series with good characters, character development, and solid drama surrounding them. It's definitely something I recommend for fans of this type of show.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:05 am

It's been about a week since my last post here, so I'll continue on. [SFW] tags indicate the link is safe for work, except for the possibility of someone thinking you're goofing off (which you are). :D

I'll talk about Midori Days next. With Midori Days, I first encountered the manga as part of an unofficial "manga club" me and some friends formed at my high school. I read the manga all the way through, and really loved it. The manga goes into deeper detail with additional characters and a longer story overall. I'll talk about the anime here, though if you like the anime, you'll probably like the additional detail and little notes from the author in the books.

The plot revolves around Seiji Sawamura, a high-school student who is famed for his fighting abilities, and specifically, his "demon right hand". The second scene in the show has him beating up the Descartes gang single-handedly since they roughed up his younger friend. The action is quick and often hilarious [SFW]. This show has a lot of comedic elements to it; it's probably a comedy first and drama second.

Shortly in the first episode, we see that a girl about his age, named Midori Kasugano has taken the place of his right hand. Basically, her upper body begins where his wrist ends. Here's a link to a picture that kinda shows it [SFW]. Midori and Seiji are equally stunned at this revelation, and have to cope with their new circumstances.

Midori soon reveals she's secretly been in love with Seiji for a long time, and they soon have to deal with her feelings along with their difficult circumstances. Along the way, Ayase Takako, Seiji's no-nonsense "I hate delinquents who fight" classmate, his older sister Rin who causes him nothing but problems, and a few others will inevitably complicate matters.

It's worth noting there are a few instances of nudity, though I personally don't consider any gratuitous, though I would admit they're unnecessary. There is one instance where the fact that two particular characters are nude is played for laughs, and works pretty well. I think it's partially author's choice and also the culture difference with nudity between the west (and the USA in particular) and Japan.

Ultimately, this Is a comedy anime with a love story attached to it. It's easy to genuinely care for the characters, and the various situations are pretty damn funny. Just thinking about it makes me laugh again. I recommend checking out the first few episodes and seeing if you enjoy it. It's quite short, only 13 episodes, but very enjoyable for all 13.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:36 am

Good thing I visited my friend Luke recently at his sweet pad, or else I would have never remembered that I leant him season 1 of Emma: A Victorian Romance. Season 1 itself is only 12 half-hour episodes. I fully intend to get the rest of the series at some point.

Well this show is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin - a romance story in Victorian London. Emma, a maid who works for the elderly Ms. Stownar, encounters someone she tutored as a governess earlier in her life; William Jones, the oldest son of a family that just recently joined the gentry. The two immediately become enamored with each other, while maintaining Victorian-era sensibilities (being polite, controlled, and restrained at all times). The show follows these two main characters, dealing with their new feelings and the obstacles that present themselves.

Naturally, the biggest issue arises from the fact that they are from two completely separate social classes. In this time, it is simply inappropriate for a maid to consort with a member of the higher classes, and this will cause no end of problems for our two protagonists. I particularly like that there's no real villain - everyone act appropriate for the time and culture, so it's hard to fault any character for their behavior. No one is evil or malicious. They're just people, doing the best they can.

This show is really good visually. It's crisp, clear, and portrays everything very well. The sound is quite good as well, and the music is appropriate and excellent, particularly for the ballroom scenes. I like virtually every character for their own traits - William is a bit oblivious and care-free, but still weighed with responsibilities. His brother, Arthur, is serious and moody. Emma herself is a bit shy and reserved. It's easy to like bits and pieces of everyone's personality, and accept the whole package for what it is.

The show is not shy about showing the glaring class disparity that existed during this time. Street vendors peddle their wares in a crowded street. Large houses contain several servants to attend to the needs of the family. The balls that are attended by the very wealthy are extremely lavish - live music, fantastic dresses and suits, an incredible multi-course dinner with treats from around the world. Meanwhile, we see children attempting to sell flowers in the street so they can buy bread. It is not all roses and sunshine here, and it likely a moderately accurate representation of how it really was. The anime is definitely primarily upbeat and happy, but there are at least a few downer moments.

The pack I bought had the added benefit of coming with a small book - "A Victorian Gazette" it calls itself. Inside is a synopsis of the plot of the first season, several pages of detail into Victorian dress, mannerisms, and traditions, and a few notes from the author of the original manga, specifically when a company called wanting to make it an anime. The show itself is Japanese-only, so subtitles are necessary.

This anime is great for being something really different than the norm - we don't see too many featuring this important and interesting time in history. The quality is high, and the show is well-made. It doesn't move too fast, and I personally prefer the slightly slower pace of the episodes themselves, considering this is a romantic anime at its core. The subtitles-only nature of it will turn off some, but I personally prefer it that way, so it's no bother to me. I give this one my full recommendation for people who can enjoy a slower-paced romance anime, or anyone who is super-interested in the Victorian era in general, and would like to see a solid representation of it.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Ayame » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:50 pm

I own both seasons of Emma- A Victorian Romance, but I haven't seen it all yet.

I've been doing a re-watch of The Slayers, and I'm now onto Try.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Zetta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:I'll take the opportunity to talk about a few anime/manga series I really like. It's worth noting I don't generally watch most mainstream stuff, so Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach (in particular), Death Note and about a million others are right out.
[...]
The anime is focused and doesn't run on and on, like some. All 26 episodes are relevant and fun to watch. Our main character, Clare, is interesting and the supporting cast is well-done. I remember watching an interview with the main sound producer (I forget his name), and when he first got the pitch, he said something along the lines of "Oh, it's just another show with female warriors". But then when he started reading the script, he was surprised by the deep human feel to it. This is definitely not action-only show. There's some good drama involved, and the actions scenes are mostly great, with only one or two instances of a recycled animation. There are a few emotional scenes that really got to me personally, and the individuals, for the most part, act like actual people. It also doesn't fall into anime clichés too often.

I'm a bit like you, I'm not a huge fan of anime. I have watched maybe one or two animes per year. I especially dislike them when they are filled with clichés or stereotypes. I dislike stories about saving the world, fighting an evil lord, killing aliens in space or having superpowers and so on... I prefer simple stories or slices of life that are somewhat realistic or that you can somehow relate to. I might take a look at this one though.

I did watch Midori Days five or six years ago and really enjoyed it for its light tone and humor. I recommend it to anyone who has a few hours free, it's really entertaining.

I used the search function and I'm really surprised that no one ever mentionned the following animes :

Welcome to the NHK was adapted from a novel into a manga and an anime. Tatsuhiro Satō, a NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) who is in his early 20s, is slowly drifting away in life and has abandonned his studies. He is falling into depression, paranoïa and different kinds of addictions, thinking that his current state is due to an external conspiracy. His room is a complete mess, he is lying to his parents about his current life and doesn't want to face the consequences of his (lack of) actions. He doesn't know what to do with himself and is somehow lost in his life. However, he encounters a young girl that will slowly but surely help him get out of his negative mindset. During the course of the show, he'll also make a few friends who will aid him whenever he feels down or makes mistakes (like getting into a pyramid scheme, getting addicted to p*rnography or online games and so on...). This show is about mature themes and might put you ill at ease if you ever had to deal with unemployment, depression, loneliness, addiction or even suicide. Welcome to the NHK presents these subjects in a down-to-earth manner that can get pretty heavy sometimes... But it's also heartwarming, because Satō is slowly but surely making progress, getting out of his shell and growing up by learning from his mistakes. It's an anime about life hardships and personal struggles that I highly recommend if you don't mind adult themes.

I also watched Kaiji two years ago. Again, this anime is more adult-oriented so be warned. Kaiji, our antihero, is a jobless adult who has a bad habit of gambling and doesn't like to work. He spends his days smoking, drinking, playing pranks on people and playing cards with his friends. Until one day, when the Yakuza contact him about a debt he cosigned. Kaiji is now forced to find a way to earn money to pay them. The Yakuza propose him a gambling night to clear his debt, which he quickly accepts. He soon finds himself in competition with dozens of other people like him in a life or death gamble... The show is 26-episode long and has a slow pace but is filled with suspense and surprising moments. The main themes evolve around gambling addiction, psychology and never admitting defeat. I really liked the first season and recommend it as well.

Finally, I've only watched Watamote (aka No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!) this year. A young girl named Tomoko enters high school, thinking of becoming very popular and having an exciting life, only to find herself completely lonely and ignored by her classmates. The story follows her as she grows up and slowly cures her own social anxiety. It is a bit similar to Welcome to the NHK, but is much lore light-hearted and leans more toward comedy. Still a pretty good anime IMHO.
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:50 am

I'll take the opportunity to talk about another anime one I like, this one adapted from a novel; Today it's Crest of the Stars, and it's two sequels, Banner of the Stars I and Banner of the Stars II.

Set in the distant future, two major factions struggle for control of space - The United Mankind (and it's allies, but The United Mankind clearly dictates policy for the entire alliance), and The Humankind Empire Abh. The United Mankind is what we expect - it's humans colonizing space. The people are basically people, though all impressions of their government show it to be close to totalitarian. They generally live on planets, and maintain a space force as a matter of practicality. They show doesn't focus on them.

The Humankind Empire Abh (hereafter, just The Abh; also it's pronounced AH-buh), is a faction of humanity that left Earth and colonized space many centuries ago. Deciding to make space, rather than planets, their permanent home, they conducted genetic modifications on themselves and their eventual children. Hair color was universally changed to different shades of blue, a extra-sensory organ was added in their foreheads, ears were elongated, physical beauty enhanced, and lifespans extended to about 300 years. They adjusted their bodies to deal with the rigors of space life. "Elves in space" is not a terrible generalization of them.

For the last several decades, The Abh and The United Mankind have had a very frosty peace between the two, effectively a cold war. In the first episode, we see the Abh threatening to attack a planet unless it surrenders to their empire. The leader, after some discussion, make a decision. He will surrender the planet by sending the codes for disabling the planet's defense systems, but he and his family must be taken to safety off the planet, as well as granted noble status. The Abh agree, and the deal is struck. Our main character is the only child of the planet's leader, and he is taken away to another planet where he is taught in the ways of the Abh; after years of schooling he has yet to even meet a single Abh. Count Jinto of the Hyde star system soon after meets his first Abh - a pilot trainee from the ship to pick him up; her name is Lafiel Abriel. And so our two main characters are introduced.

The show probably isn't first rate, but it was one of the first shows I watched as a teen, so I remember it fondly. The initial series shows the outbreak of war between our two space empires, and our main characters' struggle to escape from behind enemy lines. There's a decent mix of space and land action in the initial series, and we get to see the basics of how the author elected to run space combat. We also see many (if not all) Abh have a sort of cybernetic enhancement - a small pendant that can be plugged into a ship at certain stations - this allows the Abh to use the ship itself as their senses, as well as being able to feel the things the ship feels - at one point in the first sequel, we see a captain react in pain as they get struck by an anti-proton weapon.

The first sequel moves on from the outbreak of war to the war proper. Lafiel is now a captain of a small assault ship (the smallest ships fielded), and Jinto serves as Supply Officer. This "season" focuses on Lafiel's first command, the relationships of the bridge crew (two more Abh and a human), and the desperate defense their fleet must put up against a concentrated United Mankind counter-attack. This situation is made worse as their fleet admiral and his chief of staff are two brothers from a particular family - known in the empire for their "spectacular insanity". This one is almost all space combat, with the first few several episodes serving as a prelude for the big battle to come.

The second sequel switches things around. After taking a large amount of land, Lafiel's ship is assigned as a "territorial governor", someone who rules a system until a proper governor can be appointed. Upon taking the role, they find that the only inhabited planet in the system is actually a planet-wide prison colony for the United Mankind, and that they now require supplies, and a military presence, for the staff fear an impending revolt. Suddenly, land-based combat makes its way into the series in a big way, as the Abh attempt to evacuate who they can off the surface while a major revolt occurs - many guards turn to the prisoners' side, and many prisoners have primitive (IE relatively modern to us) guns.

All in all, the series is quite good overall, but I won't pretend that they're top-grade shows. You probably have to be into science fiction to even care to watch them. That said, visuals are good, and I personally think the audio and music is good. The story is fine, but nothing amazing. Voices are good enough that I can stand English in Crest, though I haven't watched it in English in the sequels. I go subtitles all day, every day. :lol:

If you're into sci-fi, particularly action shows, this one might be worth your time.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Ayame » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:11 am

Continuing with The Slayers, I'm now on Revolution.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:41 am

Thanks to my girlfriend's insistence on a Hulu+ subscription, I got the chance to watch Axis Powers: Hetalia.

"Hetalia" is a Japanese word combining "useless" and "Italy", which is all you need to know about our main character, Italy. This show, focusing on the time around World War 2, personifies the major nations in the incident, and turns them all into single individuals, who then have to interact with each other. The show is pure comedy, and refuses to take itself seriously.

I don't particularly feel like writing it all out, but it actually includes a bit of educational information, and gets some of the more complex relationships in Europe right. Be advised, the episodes are 5 minutes long (!), and often cut from one scene to another quickly. There is also another story that runs alongside the WW2 story, which follows Italy during the Renaissance and dealing with the Holy Roman Empire, the Hapsburgs, and Austria.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub