Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Kaze no Stigma - Generally a light hearted anime with interesting characters, a good plot, and comedic moments. The fight scenes quite frankly are poor. However, the good writing makes up for it. 7/10

Sword Art Online - Awesome music, Yuki Kajiura has outdone herself. It is in my opinion the best anime I've seen so far, and I hope season 2 lives up to those standards, which it looks like it can do so far. Though some scenes may unsettle very sensitive audiences (loli/incest/tentacles/etc.) it's not that bad and certainly not worth missing this anime for. 10/10
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:03 pm

I finished watching Free! recently, and--unsurprisingly--it didn't really live up to the hype. First, the series does deserve some credit. The humor is actually pretty funny most of the time and there are some scenes that did get the intended emotional response from me. The art is fantastic in pretty much every scene, and the Japanese voice acting is good. There are clear character arcs that, while I may not agree on how they were handled, are still there and easily identifiable.

However, the series is overall a mediocre at best shounen sports series wearing the dressings of a shoujo series. Most of the characters are boring archetypes and the few who do grow do so in relatively predictable ways. The rival is an insufferable jerk who only has himself to blame for most of his problems, and yet the narrative insists we are supposed to sympathize with him. While some of the drama is effective, it mostly tends to hit melodrama levels because the show takes itself far too seriously sometimes. This turns most of these scenes into exasperating slogs that are either over the top because of how serious they are or because what’s going to happen is obvious. The pacing overall is abysmal, and there’s relatively little swimming going on for a series about swimming.

tl;dr, I would only recommend Free! if you like shirtless guys, subtext, quality animation and/or you're planning to watch Season 2 as well. Otherwise, you should probably skip this one.

Though some scenes may unsettle very sensitive audiences (loli/incest/tentacles/etc.) it's not that bad and certainly not worth missing this anime for.

While I'll admit that I've only read the light novels and not yet seen the anime, if the LNs are any indication, people might have more problems with the blatant sexism and how overpowered and jerkish Kirito is despite how awesome his first-person narration makes him out to be (though the tentacle scene in Fairy Dance seems to be a big reason why a lot of people stopped watching the anime).
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Qu Hui wrote:
Though some scenes may unsettle very sensitive audiences (loli/incest/tentacles/etc.) it's not that bad and certainly not worth missing this anime for.

While I'll admit that I've only read the light novels and not yet seen the anime, if the LNs are any indication, people might have more problems with the blatant sexism and how overpowered and jerkish Kirito is despite how awesome his first-person narration makes him out to be (though the tentacle scene in Fairy Dance seems to be a big reason why a lot of people stopped watching the anime).

I'm pretty sure the extent of the sexism in the show was the perpetuation of some gender stereotypes (particularly those that feature prominently in Japanese culture/anime). Which, while obviously not a good thing, doesn't bother me much because of how frequently stereotypes appear in the media these days. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Kirito is really overpowered, but I've got no problem with over powered characters. I enjoy Superman, Doctor Strange, The Spectre, etc. Also, I really enjoyed the scenes where an enemy would severely underestimate Kirito and then get a beating because in reality Kirito has every single advantage. This also happened a lot in Kaze no Stigma, where the main character Kazuma was the most powerful sorceror in the show by far, but was always underestimated because he was assumed to be a typical weak wind magic user.

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:35 pm

epaminondas146871 wrote:I'm pretty sure the extent of the sexism in the show was the perpetuation of some gender stereotypes (particularly those that feature prominently in Japanese culture/anime).

The tentacle scene says otherwise. Really, Asuna's treatment in Fairy Dance is just a massive testament to how poorly women are treated in the series. (Of course, given that in the SAO arc Asuna had no actual authority in The Knights of Blood despite being one of the best players in the game and the Knights' sub-leader--so far as being assigned Kuradeel as a bodyguard though she didn't need and only dismissing him after Kirito saved her from him--she's really never been treated well by the series.)

epaminondas146871 wrote:Kirito is really overpowered, but I've got no problem with over powered characters.

See, I don't mind an over-powered character if there's a legitimate in-universe explanation and they have weaknesses, but it's really clear in the original light novels that Kawahara made Kirito so over-powered because Kirito is his self-insert and he's forming the rules of the game around Kirito being OP rather than creating the game structure and then letting placing Kirito somewhere in that structure. I'm going to not discuss further because it would involve a long, in-depth discussion of all of the problems with the first arc alone, and there are a lot.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ayame » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:29 am

I've been watching Fate/Zero lately. It was recommended to me by my anime group. They chose well.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:39 am

Watch Psycho Pass. It's really quite good. Character designs are by the same group that does Hitman Reborn, but the story is by Gen. And it's a good story. A little unrealistic, but hey, it's anime.

Easily the best crime anime I've seen in a while.

Aldnoah Zero and Tokyo Ghoul are good as well. Akame ga Kiru is next, though as a reader of the manga, I'm uneasy watching it.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:00 am

Ayame wrote:I've been watching Fate/Zero lately. It was recommended to me by my anime group. They chose well.

Subbed is horrible. They are so many english words and european names used, that it becomes cringeworthy to hear it in Japanese. (Rider = rraidar)
I switched to dubbed halfway through and it became enjoyable. I still don't understand half of what happened in the show but I guess nothing makes sense in anime nowadays.

The most interesting part of the show was
Kiritsugu's flashback or past. His time alter stuff is a bit cheesy though.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Qu Hui wrote:
epaminondas146871 wrote:I'm pretty sure the extent of the sexism in the show was the perpetuation of some gender stereotypes (particularly those that feature prominently in Japanese culture/anime).

The tentacle scene says otherwise. Really, Asuna's treatment in Fairy Dance is just a massive testament to how poorly women are treated in the series.

Sexism in the show is little to no different from sexism in any other TV show/anime. Women are sexually harassed more than males, and are shoved into stereotypical categories.

(Of course, given that in the SAO arc Asuna had no actual authority in The Knights of Blood despite being one of the best players in the game and the Knights' sub-leader

We don't even know if anybody other than Heathcliffe had authority in the KoB. Kuradeel was just a lowly bodyguard, and that Godfrey fellow seemed to have no more authority than a typical drill seargant. Also, after Asuna had been off adventuring with Kirito, it would seem reasonable that they'd try to restrict her freedom. There are non-gender related factors that could explain these things.

so far as being assigned Kuradeel as a bodyguard though she didn't need and only dismissing him after Kirito saved her from him--she's really never been treated well by the series.)

Having Kuradeel as a bodyguard seemed more of a way to control Asuna than a "oh you're a weak woman and need defense" kind of thing. And it wasn't that she only dismissed him after Kirito took care of him - it was moreso that Kuradeel finally admitted defeat when he got his ass kicked (which Asuna could've done if she wanted to).

See, I don't mind an over-powered character if there's a legitimate in-universe explanation and they have weaknesses, but it's really clear in the original light novels that Kawahara made Kirito so over-powered because Kirito is his self-insert and he's forming the rules of the game around Kirito being OP rather than creating the game structure and then letting placing Kirito somewhere in that structure. I'm going to not discuss further because it would involve a long, in-depth discussion of all of the problems with the first arc alone, and there are a lot.

I guess the LN are really different from the anime. From my understanding, Kirito was OP because 1) natural ability - he's good at MMO's and did Kendo in real life, so he's got quick reflexes 2) being a beta-tester 3) not only being a beta-tester but getting really far as a beta-tester and thus knowing how to gain XP and clear levels very efficiently. Were there non-legit explanations in the LN that made no sense?

epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby -zhoutai- » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am

Any anime discussion I join, I cannot escape SAO, its quite unbelievable !

Anybody watched no game no life ? I'm watching the last ep tonight !
-zhoutai-
Apprentice

Unread postby Ayame » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 am

Caught up on some Record of Lodoss War yesterday.
Ayame
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub