Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

Unread postby wu he » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Ayame wrote:
Pretty sure I've read Bride Story (maybe just the first book), but it was a while ago. Rather like the Emma- A Victorian Romance anime. It' amuses me a little that it sits on the shelf with the fantasy shows.
Bush Leagues wrote:
I recently read as much as has been translated of a manga called Otoyomegatari, or A Bride's Story. I mentioned before in this thread about Emma: A Victorian Romance, by Kaoru Mori, and this is another work of her's. As much as I enjoyed Emma, I might like this one even more. She might be my favorite manga artist right now.

Oh, so there're people here who read Mori Kaoru! :D But I prefer Otoyomegatari a little better, because of the realistic touch.
Anybody's a fan of older classic like Urasawa Naoki or Osamu Tezuka?
For Josei or Shojo genre,I think you should try Helter Skelter (no,it's not about that murder) or River's Edge of Kyoko Okazaki. They're dark and deep,but never fall to calm me down.
wu he
Tyro

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:36 pm

Xiahou Ren wrote:Black Lagoon is a slow show at the start, and gets better as it goes.
The Washimine Group arc is very powerful.

YES. Black Lagoon is easily one of my favourite animated series. Not least for Revy.

Bush Leagues wrote:I recently read as much as has been translated of a manga called Otoyomegatari, or A Bride's Story. I mentioned before in this thread about Emma: A Victorian Romance, by Kaoru Mori, and this is another work of her's. As much as I enjoyed Emma, I might like this one even more. She might be my favorite manga artist right now.

Interesting. I had heard of Emma, but never of Otoyomegatari. I may have to take a look for those.

Ayame wrote:I've seen all of Inuyasha, and I recently got all the seasons. Sesshomaru is still my favourite character.
MissMontana wrote:I don't like the Inuyasha. It's kind of weird.

Takahashi Rumiko's work is quite difficult for me to get into, in part because her series go on for bloody ever. Ranma 1/2 went on for 38 volumes; InuYasha for 56. But recently I was cleaning out the basement and found a few old volumes of her Rumic World trilogy, and her Rumic Theatre series of one-shots. Not bad stuff at all, though she really is a jack-of-all-trades. She's really all over the place. She does pulpy sci-fi, period dramas, horror, sports, crime and noir, harem comedies, high school dramas and lots and lots and lots of teen romance. Still, it's all of a fairly consistent level of quality, so I'm not really complaining.

~~~

I recently put in an order for the Hard-Boiled Angel series by Korean manhwaga Lee Hyun-se, as well as Boxers & Saints and The Shadow Hero, both by American-born Chinese cartoonist Gene Luen Yang. Both more YA-ish fare, hopefully of interest. When I start reading them, I'll be sure to post reviews.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:28 am

I just watched the first 3 episodes of Queen's Blade.
Yes, it was Queen's Blade. I was bored and I wanted another window playing something while I was playing Harvest Moon.
Shut up.

So what's Queen's Blade all about?
Reina is a noble lady who is going through a mid-life princess crisis. She doesn't like everything being handed to her, she wants people to recognize her effort, she wants to experience life, finding deeper meaning, yada... yada... the usual bull****. Reina then ran from her home, but she instantly got captured by Ritz, an adventurer-thief. Ritz planned to bring Reina back and ask for a service fee from Raina's family.

Thus Reina preached to Ritz about how Ritz was lucky to be born free, she's able to make her ow decision, and about how painful it is to be born filthy rich and drop-dead gorgeous, yada... yada... You know, the usual emo-teen bull****.

But then, something different happened. Ritz gave no ****, stole the prize, and left. I was pleasantly surprised. Nope, she didn't gave a vomit-inducing speech about the main hero to be "the chosen ones", or "one-in-a-millions talent", or the usual "the main character is the next Jesus" bull**** (coughcoughNarutocough). She didn't even said anything. She just gave no ****.

Queen's Blade has a plot? What nefariousness is this?

Then I watched the second one, out of curiosity. This time Reina managed to caught with Ritz and made a bet with her. If Reina could make money and win the city tournament, Ritz would be her companion. And Reina lost. Nope, there's no "friendship is magic" nor "flashback wins everything" bull****. Reina simply lost because she was weak. That's it. And Ritz left her again.

At that point I was legitimately disturbed.
Why there is a legit plot there?! It's the mother****ing QUEEN'S BLADE!
The game is about stripping women and cover them in suspicious white substance, for Christ sake!

Even the anime revolve around characters instead of the theme/object. You know in anime, everything always revolves around it's theme? Like in In Eyeshield 21 everybody plays football; In Naruto everybody is a ****ing ninja; in Shokugeki no Souma everybody cooks; etc. Other aspects of life just doesn't exist.

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to taste the best furikake-gohan of your life"

That's what anime usually does to a character.
They became one-dimensional idiots who resolve everything with one single means; the anime's theme.

But nooo...! In Queen's Blade the characters actually have a... character. Some of them actually don't give a rat's ass about the powerful Queen's Blade, they just want to rule their own country. Why they have to have a realistic perspective? Why don't they just lick each other suggestively like in the game?!

This anime made me really angry. I watched Jormungandr, Elfen Leid, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, expecting a good, mature characters and getting some of the dumbest one dimensional *****es swinging their titties. I watched Queen's Blade expecting some of the dumbest one dimensional *****es, yet getting a good, legit mature characters.... swinging their titties.

You have no idea how disturbing this is for me. Not because Queen's Blade is better than I expected; but more because of... they can. Japan CAN make a legit plot if they tried. So why 99% of them are solely relying to animated bouncing ass & titties? Why?

Why there are so many cheap, low-quality harem movie, when A GODDAMN QUEEN'S BLADE could even be translated into decent plot if they tried?

God damn you Japan...
God damn you all to hell...
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Sorry but queens Blade is just Hentai its awful I remember watching it thinking was going to get some character development with a bit of the usual Fan Service tripe and what I got was Hentai with a teenie bit of action, disgusting. Was it Acid out of he nipples at one point? Ugh!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:59 am

Oh, the bouncing bobbies are still there, don't get me wrong.

What disturbed me is, the characters in Queen's Blade actually have... characters.
They actually do things that makes sense. In other shounen, the characters are downright retarded, excuse my terms.
Everybody talking about friendship and bull**** over and over and over AND OVER ANDOVERANDOVERANDOVER!!! It made my brain melted through my ear. Naruto, Hunter Hunter, One Piece, Evangelion, Elfen Leid, Shokugeki Soma, Saint Seiya, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Flame of Recca, Bloody Monday, Cage of Eden... 99% of mangas I've read just repeating the same **** over and over and over AND OVER, well, you get the point.

They all make the main character as the answer of life and make friendship cures of cancer.

"Let's fight for peace and friendship by beat the **** out of everybody who has different views on life!"
"My father took away my X-Box... I'm gonna destroy the world so nobody would suffer again."
"Do you see the main hero? He's all pure and friendship and ****. You're a good guy too now. Or whatever, who gives a ****."
"Okay..."

Ugh.
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:06 am

In Queen's Blade, most of the character don't even care about Queen's Blade. Why should they?
Ritz didn't get insta-epiphany and suddenly cared about friendship and ****. She just took the money and left.
Reina didn't magically win everything because she got bullcrap hidden potential thingamajig coughcoughEyeshield21cough.

Yes, the fanservice is disgusting, but what disturbed me more was... there are characters. Varied characters.
Why, for the love of Jesus, they put it in something as stupid as Queen's Blade?
Can't they put characters in a much better anime, like Jormungandr or Ergo Proxy something?

That what disturbed me the most.
Why Queen's Blade? Who gives a **** about Queen's Blade?! Whatta waste of effort.
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Xiahou Ren wrote:What disturbed me is, the characters in Queen's Blade actually have... characters.
They actually do things that makes sense. In other shounen, the characters are downright retarded, excuse my terms.
Everybody talking about friendship and bull**** over and over and over AND OVER ANDOVERANDOVERANDOVER!!! It made my brain melted through my ear. Naruto, Hunter Hunter, One Piece, Evangelion, Elfen Leid, Shokugeki Soma, Saint Seiya, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Flame of Recca, Bloody Monday, Cage of Eden... 99% of mangas I've read just repeating the same **** over and over and over AND OVER, well, you get the point.

They all make the main character as the answer of life and make friendship cures of cancer.

"Let's fight for peace and friendship by beat the **** out of everybody who has different views on life!"
"My father took away my X-Box... I'm gonna destroy the world so nobody would suffer again."
"Do you see the main hero? He's all pure and friendship and ****. You're a good guy too now. Or whatever, who gives a ****."
"Okay..."

Ugh.

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what turned me off of most shōnen manga pretty early on. (Just remember Sturgeon's law of science fiction, though: 90% of everything is crap.)

This is why I still appreciate (the first sixteen volumes of) Dragon Ball. Even though it's hammy, occasionally-pervy, immature martial-arts pastichey schlock. The characters actually, you know, have motivations, and do things that make sense from those motivations. And have their own pet peeves, and senses of humour, and conflicts that actually derive from their motivations and actions.

Same applies to Slayers.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:26 pm

Recently rewatched the 1988 OVA GunBuster (トップを狙え!).

I'm a big fan of GAINAX's early output, especially series like Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, Neon Genesis Evangelion and His and Her Circumstances - all easily among my favourite anime series. Rewatching GunBuster was therefore a rather nostalgic experience. It is more than a bit of a diamond-in-the-rough. Clearly from a marketing perspective, they were starting off from the standpoint of cute-chicks-in-revealing-swimsuits-fighting-giant-mechas-in-space. And also Anno had only four episodes to start with, then six, and Anno is clearly trying to cram as many Big Themes into the series as he possibly can; as a result, some of the situations can seem a bit rushed or forced. But at the same time, the artwork is stunning, and the story hits all the right beats and all the right emotional buttons.

The SF-nal elements now look quite dated; the explanations for FTL travel and some of the superweapons used are somewhat silly, even though they did incorporate interesting SF-nal devices like relativistic time dilation as crucial storytelling elements. At the same time, I was impressed with how well Anno built up so much sympathy for his main characters in so short a space of time - it was efficient storytelling, and surprisingly the emotion behind it felt truly organic. You can't help but feel for Noriko as she starts out as a clumsy, green fish-out-of-water -- and then start rooting for her when

she reveals herself to be a total badass who is capable of taking fearless risks to save her friends and her planet.

Also, this OVA watches like it was made with me personally in mind, or the sort of people who would nowadays be watching Turbo Kid. The 1980's pop culture and action movie references punctuate the entire storyline, even if nowadays they feel kind of cheesy: Blade Runner, Top Gun and Starship Troopers most notably. In addition, Noriko is a total geek, which is awesome - she decorates her apartment with Van Halen and Miyazaki Hayao posters, and even uses Sailor Moon mnemonics to help her in her 'science lessons'.

The artwork is drop-dead gorgeous. (And no, I'm not just talking about Noriko's norks.) The Exelion and Eltrion designs are awe-inspiring, and the space battles are brilliantly handled even when they begin verging on the ridiculous (which happens shortly after the Buster Machines make their initial appearance). The sheer sense of scale in space is not downplayed, either, which is even more impressive. There were some elements in the interior design that reminded me strongly of System Shock 2, even though this series antedates said video game by over a decade.

Highly, highly recommended. Particularly when the whole OVA clocks in at less than 3 hours.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Boxers & Saints by Gene Luen Yang

Fair warning up front. This is not a graphic novel two-shot meant for the faint-of-heart or for the light reader. It is a historical-fiction manhua about the Boxer Rebellion, with theological overtones and elements of magical realism.

There are actually two stories involved in this series, which overlap and intersect with each other at various points, and whose protagonists' destinies are intertwined with each other in odd and mysterious ways. And yet, the visual styles and the presentations of the two stories are dramatically different. The first one reads and plays out like a Chinese tragic drama; the second one is just as tragic, but it reads more like a diary. The first follows Xiaobao, a child from a poor village in rural China, who has a strong attachment to the local gods (notably the Tudishen) and the few street performances he gets to watch every year. When the Europeans come to his village, they (along with some local Chinese good-for-nothings) cheat and beat up his father and destroy the Tudishen; seeking redress, the young men of the village - including Xiaobao's friends and brother - band together and begin learning martial arts from a wanderer named Red Lantern Chu.

Xiaobao, left out of the training at first, is later approached by Chu and given training after dark; he is directed to the master who taught Chu, who turns out to be a Daoist who teaches Xiaobao to empty himself. Once he completes his training and the Daoist master dies, Xiaobao is able to channel the spirit of Qin Shihuang - he then teaches his friends and brother to channel various heroic spirits of Chinese operas, notably Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei. They then begin administering rough justice to the villages around China which have been victimised by the Europeans and by the 'secondary devils', now calling themselves the 'Society of Righteous Harmony'.

Xiaobao meets a girl by the name of Meiwen, who joins the newly-formed Society and leads its female contingent, the Red Lanterns. Meiwen has been immersed in China's literary culture, and knows a number of ancient tales and Buddhist stories; Xiaobao very quickly begins falling in love with her. Along the way they meet the Hui Muslim Gansu Braves, who had been sent out by the Qing government to destroy them, but who end up sympathising with Xiaobao and letting them go. At one point, the Boxers slay an entire Christian village.

They advance on the capital; seeing the abuses that the foreigners have inflicted upon the Chinese there, the Boxers and the Gansu Braves begin killing the foreigners in the streets. The foreigners wall themselves inside the Foreign Quarter; their way inside is blocked by one of the great libraries of the Qing. Meiwen makes Xiaobao promise not to destroy the library, but he breaks that promise as it becomes clear that it is their only way to smoke the foreigners out.

Meiwen, enraged with Xiaobao for having broken his promise, criticises him to his face and joins an old foreign scholar to try and save as many books as they can, before both are killed in the fire. The foreigners, who have held out long enough for reinforcements to arrive, counterattack against the Boxers, killing most of them. Boxers ends with Xiaobao direly wounded, surrounded by many of his dead friends, as the opera gods forsake them, sailing away into the sky.

Saints tells the other side of the story. It begins in the same village, with the 'cursed' fourth daughter of another family in the village: 'cursed' because according to Chinese tradition, four is an unlucky number (四 being a homophone for 死, death). She doesn't even have a proper name; everyone just calls her 'Four-Girl'. Her whole family hates or distrusts her, leading her to be incredibly lonely. Her only friend is a wild raccoon, which urges her to become a demon and to curse her whole family for real. However, she fails to convince the local doctor, Won, who is a convert to Catholicism. Subsequently, after witnessing a European priest destroy the Tulishen, she decides she wants to learn the 'devilish' ways of the foreigners and goes back to Won.

'Four-Girl' begins her catechesis; at the same time, her friend the devilish raccoon is killed by an apparition of Jeanne d'Arc, who appears to her as a glowing figure in gold armour. Her journey into Catholicism is accompanied by these visions of Jeanne d'Arc, who appears to her at various stages fighting for the liberation of France. But it is only when she learns that through baptism she can at last have a proper name that she embraces her new faith, albeit with some ambivalence - taking on the name Vibiana.

She struggles to fully embrace the faith, and never really manages to belong anywhere, even though she truly desires to protect everyone she meets, even from themselves. The visions she has become more cryptic, and she wonders whether she ought to join the Boxers or whether she ought to protect her fellow Christians.

This becomes a problem particularly when she learns of Dr. Won's opium addiction.

However, when the Boxers attack Vibiana's village and begin killing the inhabitants, she is led behind a house by Xiaobao, who begins to interrogate her.

Vibiana teaches Xiaobao the Lord's Prayer, and asks Jeanne d'Arc for help and guidance - but in her last vision she sees Jeanne d'Arc being burnt at the stake. At that point, Jesus Himself appears to her and begins teaching her the Parable of the Good Samaritan. Frustrated, she asks Jesus to His face what she should do. Jesus then shows her the wounds on His hands and in His side. Xiaobao then asks Vibiana what her real (that is, Chinese) name is - but because she has none to give, she simply repeats her European one - and then he kills her. Vibiana dies, mourning that she had not been able to save anyone.

But later,

when Xiaobao is in the capital, it turns out he had not been killed in the final assault on the Foreign Quarter. As the Europeans debate whether or not to kill him, Xiaobao falls to his knees and struggles to say the Lord's Prayer. The Europeans (reluctantly, and for selfish reasons) spare him, leaving him to regret having betrayed the very last principle of his own movement - which was not to embrace the foreign devils' faith. He is approached by one of the disgraced Boxers whom he had kicked out of the movement earlier, and together they watch as the foreigners loot and pillage Beijing. Helpless to do anything more... but still alive.

These books are pretty bleak. But they delve incredibly deep into Chinese questions of identity and cultural pride, and don't let anyone really off the hook easily. One can understand the motives of both the Chinese and the European characters, for the most part, though a handful of each group really are despicable. At the same time, these manhua are remarkably Christian in their outlook, despite repeated parallels being drawn between Guanyin and Christ, and the strangely-parallel ways in which the Chinese and European characters oppose each other. In this tale of civil war, grace is almost always hidden, and it is far from cheap... but it's the only thing that ends up 'saving' Xiaobao.

No, not a light read at all. But I'm certainly glad I read it.

9 / 10
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Ayame » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:56 am

Queen's Blade is weird. I've only seen the first season.

Finally got to see the new Dragon Ball Z movie.
Ayame
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub