Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you.

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you.

Unread postby Hasdrubal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 am

Howdy all. Like quite a few people on this thread, I first joined this forum in about 2005 or something like that but that is a username and an email address long retired no doubt. I tried a couple of combinations but no luck.

I haven't read the books in about 15 years (via the usual DW, ROTK games route) and I'd completely forgotten all about them until volume 2 fell out a box I was moving in the loft the other day. I've dug out the first volume out and started giving it a read today and it all came flooding back. Looking forward to getting to know you all (again).
Hasdrubal
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Welcome back Hasdurbal

Glad a falling book brought you back, that the novel still retains it's magic for you and hope you have a great time with people old and new here
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:09 pm

What a great story, Hasdrubal. Welcome back to the forum! :D
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yaoyu » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:41 am

Hi folks, I joined the board because I needed some outlet to talk about my love for Three Kingdoms. It has been an interest of mine ever since playing Dynasty Warriors 3 as a teen. Nowadays I tend to be more into the academic side of things but I am slowly watching (and enjoying) the Three Kingdoms tv series.

In the real world I'm a Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society and work in a university in the UK. Though I have taught Chinese history (mostly medieval to early modern) my area of interest is actually Nepalese literature and Sanskrit. Other than that, I enjoy ice skating and writing short stories.

I remember pouring over Kongming's Archives and the forum when I was younger but I never joined. It's good to see that the forum format is still going, most things these days seem to be Facebook groups or Discord servers. :)
“I am not scared of tigers in the dark!” Zhang Kai shouted into the night. “Show your stripy faces!”
You can read my alternate history RotTK fanfiction here.
Yaoyu
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:16 pm

...we are switching over to discord server tomorrow :P

Welcome to the forum Yaoyu. I think most of us got our interest from early DW games then migrated on (sometimes via novel) to 3kingdoms history, congratulations on being a Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society and working in a university. I'm glad you took the plunge to join us and hope you have a great time here
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Well... we do have a (quiet) discord page too!

Welcome to the board Yaoyu! Dong and I always enjoy having more Brits around! I look forward to many discussions with you and I hope you enjoy your time with us :).
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Welcome Yaoyu!

Hey guys, what is our Discord server? :shock:
Jia Nanfeng
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:59 pm

It's actually reasonably quiet these days but I'm sure if you joined you could breath some new life into it.

The invite code is: https://discord.gg/P6SBHuA
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:38 pm

Well we've got to make the discord much louder! :lol:
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Sage

Previous

Return to The Pub