Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you.

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you.

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:42 am

Welcome Stat!
I also have lived and worked in Japan, and still go there quite a lot for both work and leisure.
I started out in Nagoya(Sakae district) years ago, and also lived in Hokkaido, Tokyo and lately Fukuoka. I'd be happy to hear your experiences there if you'd care to share them.

Likewise, I'm also more interested in the historical facts as opposed to the novel or other Shu-centric works.
And, I have no hard data to deny Wei being the most popular kingdom among history readers but would probably agree that CC would have made a better ruler than SQ or LB. I'm a Wuist of course but can also appreciate the other 2 kingdoms. They all had some amazingly talented and fascinating figures.

Anyways, nice to have you here and welcome aboard!
“If I was being executed by injection, I'd clean up my cell real neat. Then, when they came to get me, I'd say, "Injection? I thought you said 'inspection'." They'd probably feel real bad, and maybe I could get out of it.”
-Jack Handey
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 am

Welcome Statrosa! Good to have you here with us! Personally I’m something of a Wu-ist, but I really don’t like Sun Quan...

Anyway, I don’t doubt that Cao Cao was incredibly competent, but it’s difficult to look past his actions in Xu province. As for Liu Bei, there was certainly ambition there but I doubt he could have supported any other throw of the Han dynasty, both for worldview and undermining his own claims to authority.

I also find it fascinating that China don’t want deviations from the novel when in the West we’re desperate to leave our myths behind and find the truth about them! Like there are so many books out there about the real King Arthur it’s absurd.

I look forward to discussing the 3K in more depth with you in the future!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Statrosa » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:22 am

Thank you Sakae and Sun for the welcome.

I had lived in Osaka (Hirakata), Yokohama and Tokyo (Takadanobaba).
I had worked both for the government as for Nissan. For Nissan I had worked 13 years until their latest debacle which ended my career there. I’m currently enjoying a sabbatical.

I still visit Japan once a year, but will most likely never work for a Japanese company ever again. I had worked as an intern for the Chinese government which was a nice experience but I can say not for everyone. And working for a Taiwanese company I would also not advise, they ask 300% of your ability. I had worked at Avermedia when they were at their prime. Please feel free to ask me anything about Japan or China.

I always notice that King Arthur is a sensitive subject with the English, because we are taught in the Netherlands that he is just a fairy tale. But about 5 years ago I saw on BBC news that they were digging up a site near Heathrow that most likely contained his body, however never heard of a follow up. I guess like Tolkien once said is that the UK had lost a lot of history in the dark ages so they are holding on to fairytales as a replacement.

With Three Kingdoms and Chinese history in general we are lucky a lot has been preserved in writing.
Statrosa
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 am

Welcome Strat

I like your father-in-law already :wink: Hope your studies of Chinese goes well. Most here lean towards Wei or Wu, Shu thankfully has gone through the backlash years and people are able to appreciate it's stand out figures

Hadn't heard of the Cao Cao TV show, sad that it struggled and that people seem reluctant to look beyond the fantasy.

I always notice that King Arthur is a sensitive subject with the English, because we are taught in the Netherlands that he is just a fairy tale. But about 5 years ago I saw on BBC news that they were digging up a site near Heathrow that most likely contained his body, however never heard of a follow up. I guess like Tolkien once said is that the UK had lost a lot of history in the dark ages so they are holding on to fairytales as a replacement.

I wouldn't say sensitive. The current belief is there was some figure after Rome left who was successful but very very very very very very little connection to the tales, I don't think people here would be offended by idea of it being fairy tale. Possibly a little sad though
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Statrosa » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:01 am

Get what yo are saying, apologies.

I’m now writing this on my mobile, but will link the historical Cao Cao series in an update later tonight.
Statrosa
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 am

I agree with Dong. What I find weird though is that people don’t want the fairytale version of Arthur with his knights etc. The general public seem determined to mine through and find ‘the real Arthur’. Which is fine, nothing wrong with that but I quite like the myth - being fully aware that version of Arthur is that.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Statrosa » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:33 pm

By the way the serie is just called Cao Cao 2014.
I have a link to a torrent website that has it, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it.
But the website is called Avistaz dot to, you need to register to download the torrent.
They have a lot of Asian series.
Statrosa
Tyro

Unread postby ZhouYu239 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:19 am

Greetings how is everyone doing? Haven't visited this website in ages! Looking good, god it feels so nostalgic ha-ha. Couldn't help myself to check out the forums after the website visit. I'm not really new here, I used to frequent the forum boards when I was 14-15 and onwards to my early 20's I believe.

Couldn't quite remember my email or password! My name is Ricky and my old username is... well, Ricky ha-ha. Hello new and older friends! Hope life has been treating everyone nicely.

Is there by chance a way to recover my old account or prove I am said person? :lol:
ZhouYu239
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 am

Ricky! Buddy, it has been an age! :D How are you doing? I recently got in touch with a big group of the old Nine Dragon guys, and then you turn up! Glad to see you back around... you do remember me right?
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am

Welcome back Rick, I'll nudge James to see what can be done. Hope life has been treating you well and you enjoy your return
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub