Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you.

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you.

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Qin Feng, welcome

Is there a particular time frame or angle within the period your looking at?

Sin Sun Fin linked to Professor Rafe's work, Established Peace section gives a good overview of the main parts of the era up to Cao Cao's death. Be aware of the novel as as a starting point in that is heavily fictionalized and was selling the author's needs of his own time, it is a very good read and important for it's cultural value but risk bringing certain bias or views that might impact your essay. Then again, as Sun Fin asks, you can always ask "is this bit real"
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Hi Qin Feng, welcome

Is there a particular time frame or angle within the period your looking at?

Sin Sun Fin linked to Professor Rafe's work, Established Peace section gives a good overview of the main parts of the era up to Cao Cao's death. Be aware of the novel as as a starting point in that is heavily fictionalized and was selling the author's needs of his own time, it is a very good read and important for it's cultural value but risk bringing certain bias or views that might impact your essay. Then again, as Sun Fin asks, you can always ask "is this bit real"

Not really, I don't think I know enough about it to know what I'm going to focus my essay on. However reading as much as I can about it is more than fine. I'm aware of the bias in this novel (if I remember correctly, Cao Cao was traditionally seen as the true successor to the Han, but eventually some dynasties claimed Liu Bei was the true successor, for reasons I don't remember at the moment), but the point is to have a general understanding of the events that happened. I know some of them didn't exit (Like the battle of Hu Lao gate I think), and some of them may be exaggerated to be flashier and more appealing as a story :lol:
Thanks for your words.
Qin Feng
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:22 am

The essay from the Cambridge History, that you'd already found, ends with a pretty good section on the various kingdoms perceived legitimacy!

In terms of the novel Shu are presented as the valiant hero who ultimately full short, Wei is the villain whilst Wu are treated like a sub plot and largely pushed to the side.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Virginie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Virginie, a brand new member of the Scholars of Shen Zhou. I'm a native born Chinese who left China at six years old. However, I can speak (and hopefully write) Mandarin quite well. I became a fan of San Guo since I read the novel in second grade elementary school. That time period is just so fascinating! Oh, and history as a whole is fascinating, too.

I'm in this kind of "writing streak" these days, so I wrote a lengthy (and probably boring, if you read it ten times in two hours) fan-fiction (which I posted in the fan-fiction thread). I have this habit of wanting people to read (and comment & criticize, of course) what I wrote; that's why I discovered this wonderful website.

Writing about myself is SO MUCH HARDER! It's nice to meet everyone here~ :D
-V. Zhang
I consider myself not good at everything. Apologizes.
Virginie
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Welcome to the board Virginie! I'm an aspiring 3K writer as well and I noticed your story but I haven't had time to read it yet! I'm happy to give you feedback if that's what you'd like when I get some time. :D
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Welcome Virginie!

I enjoy writing fiction (and non-fiction) about the 3K-Jin era too! We seem to have a lot of writers here. :mrgreen:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi Virginie

Which do you prefer, the novel or the histories? Welcome to the forum, I hope you have a good time here. If you want to get your work out there, I belive tumblr has a fanfiction community and fanfiction.net still running?

The into bit can be one of the more
Virginie wrote:Writing about myself is SO MUCH HARDER! It's nice to meet everyone here~ :D

I can sympathise with that. Arguably you have got the difficult part of the community over :wink:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Virginie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Hi Virginie

Which do you prefer, the novel or the histories? Welcome to the forum, I hope you have a good time here. If you want to get your work out there, I belive tumblr has a fanfiction community and fanfiction.net still running?

I can sympathise with that. Arguably you have got the difficult part of the community over :wink:

Thank you! :D :D :D Actually I prefer both. The novel is more "interesting" but history is the reality. While enjoying the stories I like to know what really happened as well. I think I'm much more familiar with the novel after all. :lol:

fanfiction.net is still running, but I'm hesitant to sign up because some of the content there are, uh, not that comfortable for me. I'll try tumblr and thanks for reminding me of it.
-V. Zhang
I consider myself not good at everything. Apologizes.
Virginie
Tyro

Previous

Return to The Pub