Streaming

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Streaming

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:16 pm

With Google making big push into making steaming the new way of using games (and does seem like how the gaming industry views the future) and Disney+ formerly announced for TV, couldn't find a topic on this (sorry if wrong) so thought I would start one.

How has streaming shaped your life already? Do you think steaming in gaming will work? Which of the companies going into streaming battle do you think will win out and how do you think it will change the future?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Streaming

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:29 pm

I don't really like the concept of streaming. I love owning hard copies of stuff - which is why I've never really used it for gaming.

However in practise my wife wanted to get Netflix and now I have it, I do use it all the time! It does make watching TV really easy to watch, the only problem is it limits what you have access to. Seems better value for money than paying for Sky etc. Disney's service is going to be very annoying though. Star Wars and Marvel are obviously two of my favourite franchises so will still want access to all of their new movies and shows!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Streaming video games works great if you happen to live right next to the data center. :lol:

I live far away enough from major cities that streaming gameplay will inevitably come with lag spikes, low resolution, and, worst of all, input lag.

I don’t like the idea and I hope it never becomes the norm. What works well for smaller tech-infused countries like Japan won’t necessarily work well in sprawling average-at-best-infrastructure countries like the USA.

And like Fin said, I too like to own physical media. Heck I still buy CDs. :lol:

As for Disney’s service, it doesn’t affect me much. I don’t subscribe to any movie/TV streaming services at the moment and I don’t like Disney or Marvel enough to start with them. I do love to watch Twitch though; as long as that stays free I’m good.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Gaming: Like Sun Fin, I live in UK and our internet record is poor, I have what I think would count as good internet here but took over 40 minutes to download Curfew episode on Sky whereas BBC correspondent in South Korea talked of downloading a film in 20 seconds. I do worry about how UK and USA can hope to win the future with notoriously bad or patchy internet, when so much will rely on strong connections.

I don't have hard copies of games, I have long just used steam and origin (I suspect epic in future) for games. So if streaming is future of games, it would simply be another evolution (from stores to amazon to steam like stores) but lag and how exactly will it work with bad internet connections. If I move house, what would happen to my games if I relied on streaming? I have other questions that leave me doubtful phase 1 of game streaming will be hit (how many games will actually be on streaming services like google? Will it become too split? How does it work with shared games, co-ops and multiple gamers in house?)

TV: I find that most of my films are on sky (however Disney + will gut that with Pixar, Disney princess films, Marvel, Star Wars and probably Fox films going so I suspect I'll end up with Disney), most of my TV shows are on Netflix and that I prefer Netflix for ease of use (and that there is more time to watch shows+no chances for recording to go wrong+ subtitles). Netflix has changed way I have watched TV to a degree but I don't binge watch, that has never appealed but admit something like Jane the Virgin now has "we have to wait a week?" is now slightly frustrating (though Riverdale's tendency to take weeks off is just plain annoying)

I worry about the fragmentation of TV in UK though, it used to be you just add 4/5 channels till Sky changed that but even then, people brought Sky (or a "rival" like Virgin and brought Sky packages on that) as Sky dominated the TV with sports, cinema, all those TV channels and shows (like getting HBO shows). That is going, over here we have Netflix, amazon prime (though how many have that for alexa's, deliveries and other things rather then TV is another matter), everything else seems to be minor but Disney+ coming in to Europe next year and seems like US have a lot more like CBS for Star Trek (Netflix here), Hulu's and so on. That is going to be changing people from "TV license plus Sky" to "and this service and this one" in a debt filled country, I worry about that

I think the "terrestrial" companies like BBC (BBC seem to have embraced streaming on iplayer which seems well done) will be fine, despite the Competition watchdogs huge huge error in blocking a streaming merger a few years back (though will be intresting to see how the new joint streaming service does). Sky? I'm less sure about in long term. I don't mean they will go bust, there will be people without strong enough internet, those that don't like streaming style stuff and so on.

Sky has always had the big market, it was the sole real "more then freeview" and whenever it had a challenge, it always responded well but streaming it has struggled to get a hold off which perhaps encouraged Murdoch's to sell up (in fairness Comcast have had no time to make an impact). It still has sports but it's other two big sellers "shows from America" is being nibble away, it's "all the big movies" has just been hammer blowed, add that people now have different expectations of how they watch TV. Sky sort of see the dangers but seems to be slow to react, it's own streaming service Now comes across as "I see we need to but it is secondary" struggling when it struggles with subtitles and when Netflix is offering 4k, not being able to offer full HD as automatic seems abysmal.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Netflix has changed way I have watched TV to a degree but I don't binge watch, that has never appealed but admit something like Jane the Virgin now has "we have to wait a week?" is now slightly frustrating (though Riverdale's tendency to take weeks off is just plain annoying)

I definitely binge, but I blame owning the Friends boxset for that, don't think I can put it on netflix. :lol: I do agree that it feels odd when watching Line of Duty and having to wait a week for a new episode. I think that slight jar is good though - helps build the tension, especially when you're not used to it!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 pm

I was also on the "I prefer books, nothing beats a new book smell and feel." or "I prefer DVDs nothing beats a pristine cover" but like everyone have moved onto digital media. Haven't bought either in ages and now my drawer solely for Disney has broken and my shelves are just wild. The only DVDs I have purchased are the physical copies of all of Bleach.

Streaming seems to be fun for people. I try to watch but I dunno I prefer scripted videos. Used to do wee amateur Podcast with the Wiki I live in and it was fun.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 am

Yeah, I hadn't even thought of free steaming content like YouTube. I can't say I've ever ventured into that corner of the net other than if I'm having a particular DIY problem :lol:.

I still like physical books, I only buy ebooks if I'm on holiday and I've already read everything I brought with me. I can't see my attitude shifting on that for the foreseeable future.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Yeah I watch scripted stuff or documentaries. I'll use a tutorial if I'm stuck with something like Sun Fin but that's it

Sun Fin wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Netflix has changed way I have watched TV to a degree but I don't binge watch, that has never appealed but admit something like Jane the Virgin now has "we have to wait a week?" is now slightly frustrating (though Riverdale's tendency to take weeks off is just plain annoying)

I definitely binge, but I blame owning the Friends boxset for that, don't think I can put it on netflix. :lol: I do agree that it feels odd when watching Line of Duty and having to wait a week for a new episode. I think that slight jar is good though - helps build the tension, especially when you're not used to it!

The silly thing is, most of the time I won't watch an episode till next week but it is somehow annoying to know the option isn't on.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 pm

How are you disciplined? If I watch a really gripping episode I can't not watch on. I have the same issue with books - it's why I finish so many so quickly! :lol:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm usually watching stuff with other family members so that leads to having to organize it so once a week usually works for us. When just me, I only do one episode of something per day as otherwise I fear getting bored
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Next

Return to The Pub