Apparently I'm going to Beijing next school year

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Apparently I'm going to Beijing next school year

Unread postby Qin Feng » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I've been granted a scholarship to study a semester at Beijing Language and Culture University (北京语言大学). I'd travel there in August or maybe September, guess it'll be a good experience to improve my Chinese and eventually contribute to this site with whatever 3K materials I can find.

Hopefully some of you would offer me valuable advice as a clueless 老外? :lol:
Qin Feng
Assistant

Re: Apparently I'm going to Beijing next school year

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 am

Am living as an expat in South Korea but I can't really speak about China/Beijing particularly, I have only visited. Have you ever been to East Asia? Are you from/do you live in a large city? And do you have any prior experience living abroad?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:33 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Am living as an expat in South Korea but I can't really speak about China/Beijing particularly, I have only visited. Have you ever been to East Asia? Are you from/do you live in a large city? And do you have any prior experience living abroad?

None of those, actually :lol:
I'm Spanish and I'm from a small town in a sparsely populated region. I am studying in one of the largest cities in Spain, but it doesn't even get close to the size of Beijing. I've been abroad before, but never lived abroad, really.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Congratulations on the scholarship, I have no useful advice but hope you have a great time
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Other than insane jealously I've got nothing to contribute :lol:. Congratulations on getting the scholarship! You must be delighted!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:48 pm

I am, I've wanted to go a couple of years now and finally my time will come, as long as my papers are all in order. When the time comes I'll give more life to this thread :lol:
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Exar Kun » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Read up expat forums and websites on Beijing. There's probably lots of little things that are different to what you know. Prepare as best you can.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Return to The Pub