How many email accounts have you abandoned?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

How many email accounts have you abandoned?

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 pm

I remember back in the fresh and new days of the internet, when you thought you'd have your email account for life. You had very limited space. You had to pay for an account from your ISP, etc. But then time passed and you got an account from school, or you picked up a free account here and there, intending to use it for this or that. Eventually, some were abandoned. Some were forgotten. Some outlived their usefulness.

Data and storage are as good as free these days. Most people probably fall on either side of a line that's surely generational: either they have a number of scattered accounts, or they're post-email and don't use it at all. Many of my students only have an email account so they can reset their gaming & social network passwords.

How many email accounts do you think you've accumulated and abandoned over the years?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Re: How many email accounts have you abandoned?

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 am

Interestingly, I've only had a few email accounts over the years, but having an email account has been a necessity for me, especially when it comes to tasks related to work for one reason or another.

I have one now, believe that I have abandoned three, and lost one when I left my last job.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:53 am

I think I've had four email addresses that I've actually used. I'm not including a school, a university and one form a writing site, all of which I've utterly ignored over the years - sometimes leading to troubles at university :lol:.

Of the ones I've used two have been abandoned. What used to be my primary email as a teenager I'm trying to turn in to my spam account and make a more adult sounding one my main address. However it's a slow process!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:58 am

Probably three or four emails due to changing provider and changing life
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:55 pm

I had one with my original ISP back home, back in 1997 or so, that's long-since abandoned. Heck, that provider doesn't even exist anymore. I also have 3 university accounts to which I no longer have access.

I picked up my Hotmail address somewhere along the way, and I got a Gmail account when they were doing the closed invite-only beta. I still actually use both of those.

I have definitely held at least 3-4 additional Gmail accounts for various nefarious purposes over the years, as well as a Yahoo account, and probably accounts that would have come with a couple of websites I ran at various times...

Hmm, what else? I guess there's my current suite of website accounts, and my current work account.

All told, I'd say there are at least 12 disused past Kongs out there.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Return to The Pub