Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:07 pm

I hope everyone, whether with family or alone, has a lovely time and enjoys themselves.

Enjoyed the debates and the jokes with you in 2016 and look forward to the same in 2017.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:34 am

Merry christmas all! Have an awesome day! I'm in a premier inn next to an airport getting ready to flyyyyyyy :)
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby plunged » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Merry Christmas everyone
Please have a look at: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now also has translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Lady Bu, Sima Shi, Wa, Chen Shou, Sima Biao and Lü Bu
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:11 pm

Belated from me, but Merry Christmas (or whatever you like to celebrate).

Got some very nice things and gave some very nice things. Got to see my niece and nephew, as well as my brother and his wife, who I don't visit as often as I should. Mom was there too, so we were a family again for a while. I had to go to work after though. :/ C'est la vie.

We also visited my wife's brother and his family (who live a few houses down) and exchanged some gifts with them as well. We also went go eat at Shucks! a pretty legit seafood place a town over. I don't like seafood, though, so I just got a burger. :lol:

A few notable things I got - my wife got me a book I had asked for, Harrington on Hold 'em, which is a book about playing Texas Hold 'em poker. I've already finished most of it, and fully intend to go through it a few more times in the coming weeks. Another one I wanted will be given to me on my birthday, which is tomorrow - You Have the Right to Remain Innocent, by professor James Duane, who's also a criminal defense attorney. That one is about correctly exercising 5th amendment protections (which have been weakened in recent years). To go with those, she got me some Harry Potter-themed bookmarks - little metal (maybe tin) things that have a symbol on them and are colored appropriately. They actually look decent, although it's nothing amazing. But it's pretty nifty. I went with Ravenclaw to start.

Withing all you guys all the best.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:41 am

Belated Merry Christmas as well. I had some suspicious lumps removed from my back and a protruding mole removed from my face, so I spent the holiday mostly just resting on the couch. When I did leave the house, the band-aid draped on my nose ensured maximum shock value for those around me.

I did spend some time with my fiancée's family, which was nice. Although I really need to beef up my Korean skills...I talk to them like a four-year-old would at the moment haha
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:11 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Belated Merry Christmas as well. I had some suspicious lumps removed from my back and a protruding mole removed from my face, so I spent the holiday mostly just resting on the couch. When I did leave the house, the band-aid draped on my nose ensured maximum shock value for those around me.

I did spend some time with my fiancée's family, which was nice. Although I really need to beef up my Korean skills...I talk to them like a four-year-old would at the moment haha

Korean and the other oriental languages are hard - I think it has to do with their structure. There was a blog post on a blog I follow about it; the man who writes it lives in China and so had good incentive to learn Chinese. Here it is.

Glad you got to rest, at least, and get a little time in with her(?) family.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Seems like you had a great time Bush and very Happy Birthday!

Hopefully you will feel better soon Zy though
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:49 am

Bush Leagues wrote:Korean and the other oriental languages are hard - I think it has to do with their structure.

Well without derailing the topic too much, yeah Korean and Japanese have a different structure in terms of grammar and take some getting used to. Chinese, less so, the structure is more familiar to English speakers. Korean does get a pretty high rating in terms of difficulty for native English speakers, but in my case I really just need to spend the time hitting the books, I've got the all the Lego pieces but they are still in the box, so to speak.

Glad you got to rest, at least, and get a little time in with her(?) family.

Cheers. And yes, her, haha.

Cheers to you as well, DZ.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to The Pub