Spoilers

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Spoilers

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:04 pm

If anyone has a better topic title or thinks of a better area to place this, let me know.

I'm curious as to people's rules on spoilers and general attitude towards them. Do you mind if someone gives a spoiler or you really hate to hear them? What is the time-limit before something no longer has spoiler protection? Have you ever accidentally spoiled something (I have)? If another version (say a book) or a new show/film comes out, is acceptable to use the older medium for spoilers?

How should social media and society deal with those who deliberately spoiler things?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Spoilers

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:52 am

Spoilers is a touchy thing and difficult to really get right.

I prefer to avoid spoilers for people when possible, even though I think in most cases it's not a big deal. I appreciate when people avoid spoilers for me, even for things that have been out for a while; for instance, while I own Mass Effect 3, I've never finished it (haven't even finished 2), and while I've heard about how everyone and their mother hates the final 15 minutes or so, I still have no idea what actually happens. I'm hoping I can make it through to find out for myself.

Usually when approaching something like the ending to a movie in conversation, I'll say something like "Well, it's towards the end of the movie/game/event, do you want me to not say it?" It's a simple courtesy that costs you 5 seconds of time, it really shouldn't be a big deal to just ask the question. That way, people can decide for themselves if they care or not.

I really don't know what the time limit should be. Maybe a year? That should give people plenty of time to either see it/play it or not, and at some point you want to be able to talk about it openly without worrying about others. Best to just play it by ear, I suppose.

Uh, yeah, ha, I did a somewhat major spoiler one time for a friend regarding Harry Potter. It was accidental, of course, but I had presumed she already knew about it, Whoops. :oops:

Finally, as for social media and society - I mean, I don't partake in those things too often (re: ever), so I avoid all the troublemakers that naturally brings with it. I don't think that on any large scale anything should be "done" about it. I think most everyone knows what they're getting into when you involve yourself in things like that; people will be jerks if they want to be, and internet is only going to empower them.

I think any kind of "public shaming", "doxxing", or anything else along those lines is inappropriate, although if individuals want to complain on their own time to said person, that's their business. Smaller communities of public forum access (like ours) can decide among themselves, as a group, for what to do. For instance, I trust this community to keep any Star Wars Episode 7 spoilers confined to our dedicated Star Wars thread. So I've made the conscious decision to just keep out until I actually see the movie. Likewise, Steve Jackson Games forums created two threads for Star Wars - a spoiler thread and non-spoiler thread, and so the community could all talk and speculate together in whichever thread they preferred.

I guess if someone came along on here, for instance, and sent PMs about Star Wars, spoiling the thing, I would report it and expect the mods to do something, probably a suspension or something along those lines.

I don't think any kind of movement by society at large to prevent/shame/harass people who spoil things is appropriate.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:08 am

Ugh, spoiler is in the eye of the beholder.
I hope there's a better way for me to say that, but it is what it is.

There's a couple of policy I personally live by, though:
1. Spoiler is allowed in any related forum topics unless when it's specifically stated NO-SPOILER.
2. Movies need to be at least 6 months old, before it could be spoiled/discussed in a topic without NO-SPOILER tags.
3. Comic/mangas need to be at least 1 Volume older than the most recent ones.
4. Books & novels could be spoiled anytime because nobody reads.

And yes, I think spoilers (intentional or not) is the greatest sin after blasphemy.
Hope it helps. That's the best I can do right now.
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby Aaron.K » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 pm

I won't spoil other people because of the consideration I have for them and the fact that a lot of people have emotional investment in things. But I take a Greek approach to spoilers for myself. Knowing what's going to happen before hand is part of the fun of it. Knowing a story well and knowing what's going to happen usually enhances my enjoyment of it, rather than ruining it.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:02 pm

I don't like spoilers and I avoid spoiling for others. One of my mates kept posting about the apprentice as it happened and because of life commitments I could only watch it a day or 2 later. I avoided facebook completely during those 24 hours.

I'm a little worried about GoT spoilers though, I'm adamant I was to know the story line through the books and so won't watch the TV show again until all the books are out!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 pm

And yes, I think spoilers (intentional or not) is the greatest sin after blasphemy.
Hope it helps. That's the best I can do right now.

Do you mean spoken sins rather then things like murder Xiahou Ren?

====

Confession time: Many aeons ago, someone asked on a forum if there would be a Heavenly Sword sequel (this was a few years after it had come out). I unthinkingly replied there won't becuase...and set out why with a whacking great spoiler, by the time I realized what I had done it was too late. Still feel guilty about that

====

I tend to play safe with spoilers and not assume someone has seen something. Someone may have missed a film (Sun Fin mentioned his girlfriend (I think) hadn't seen any of the Star Wars movies but I know others with similar gaps), gaps between countries (a lot better between US and UK but, for example, Gotham season 2 in US is mid-season but only just started here), I tend to play games later then others, some may be doing what we do with Walking Dead (store up first half of season till second half is nearly upon us) with shows of their own, over here if one doesn't see a film in cinema's then it could be 3-5 years before it comes around on TV unless one is rich enough for netflix/SkyMovies/Amazon Prime (or if not all then fingers crossed that film you want ends up on which ones you have).

For me? I won't watch a film for, say, a month if just been spoiled and I would rather not hear them but life happens, if someone does it by accident or carelessness, not going to be upset.

In terms of forums, it is easy in places like here and other forums I go to with a bit of common sense (like don't go into GOT thread when new episode has aired before you see it if you don't want spoilers). I know people here try to be courteous and won't go around spoiling so it also makes job easy for the likes of me, we haven't had a spoiler troll. I avoid social media but the recent Star Wars film, there was a Facebook group who went around deliberately spoiling (reddit mod team apparently had film spoiled by end of first day) becuase they didn't like something or other and they have yet to grow up. I also know someone who had a major GOT episode
Red Wedding
spoiled by a friend who posted about it a day before as "it isn't spoiler as was in books". Thus why I wonder how society and social media will deal with this sort of thing as time goes on

=====

Whenever I think spoilers, I do think of the guardian for two reasons. 1) When papers were really starting to go online, there was a certain film reviewer (still there) who tended to feel anything before the end phase was fair to reveal. This led to constant complaints in the comments and eventually a consultation that carried the tone of "ok there has been plenty of whinges so we thought best to listen you whiners but we are right." with stroppiness the order of the day. In fairness to the guardian, they did actually listen and stopped spoilering films, either the tone wasn't meant to be sulky or they were really shocked by the responses.

2) GOT used to come out in UK a day after the US. Guardian is trying to break into the US online. In a bid, I assume, to be more timely for US readers, they plastered an article about the latest episode, with revealing headline and picture of a major twist that had happened
GOT TV spoiler
King Joffery the magnificent's tragic death
several hours before it was out in the UK. On the front pages of their UK site.

Thankfully my family missed it and only discovered the next day with the comments on the piece full of rage. The guardian has yet to apologize to anyone as far as I'm aware for this. So ever since (since Snowden row was on my mind at the time), the guardian has always been jokingly thought of by me as "the paper that hates Britain" (since it refuses to apologize, I can only assume it wasn't a mistake)
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 am

Facebook is going to be an absolute nightmare when the new GoT series comes out...
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to The Pub