Hi there! Sort of new here, need help finding some books

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Hi there! Sort of new here, need help finding some books

Unread postby bookwormbabe29 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi there!

So as topic title says, I was hoping someone could help me out. I've been trying to collect the works of Rafe de Crespigny for a while now, and as I'm sure people here know they are quite expensive to get in print. I heard that some of his works have been made into ebooks, but whether this is true or not I don't know. I haven't had any luck finding any as of yet. I'm especially interested in finding his 'A Biographical Dictionary of Later Han to the Three Kingdoms' as well as 'Imperial Warlord: A biography of Cao Cao." If anyone knows more about finding these books (or others of his) whether for sale as ebooks or at libraries, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you for your time,
Vicky
bookwormbabe29
Tyro

Re: Hi there! Sort of new here, need help finding some books

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:23 pm

In terms of buying books sadly his stuff is incredibly expensive.

Most of his works are available on this site. However it doesn't have the two you are looking for because they are both still in print.

I know a few people who have read his Cao Cao book feel that it's not worth the money in comparison to some other books that are already out there cheaper, I would especially recommend this book: Ts’ao Ts’ao and the Rise of Wei: the Early Years.

Whilst for the second we have a thread where you can request specific people's bios and quite a few have already been posted.

I've spent some time compiling a list of all the 3K sources I'm aware off. It still needs some work but it can be a useful starting point!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Hi there! Sort of new here, need help finding some books

Unread postby TigerTally » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Google Books has preview for the dictionary, so you may read a part of it online through here legally.

The biography of Cao Cao is available at Brill Online, if you happen to have access to this database at your institute.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to The Pub