Hot Sake

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Hot Sake

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Today whilst in a supermarket in Keswick of all places I noticed a drink I've only ever read about before... Sake. I bought it and am now wondering what to do with it. A quick google suggested that it could be enjoyed either warm or cold. I was wondering if any of you guys have encountered it before and if so how you'd recommend me trying it? Just a heads up I only payed £7 for it so I don't think it will be a particularly good vintage!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Hot Sake

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:17 am

Personally I like it cold. I don't like the taste when it's warm, but I suppose it's a nice treat in cold weather. I am a bit biased as well, as I drink soju fairly often - which is always cold - so cold sake is a nice upgrade to me. Warm sake goes down a lot like mulled wine or other warm alcoholic beverages, for what it's worth, although obviously the sake won't have quite as complex of a flavor profile.

Sometimes I have seen a piece of dried puffer fish put in the hot sake, which of course affects the aroma and flavor to some degree.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks Zyzfer :).

I'll start off trying it cold.

How would I go about warming it up without one of the special flask thingies?

Also how big a glass do I want to pour? As if I was drinking wine? Or whiskey? Or port?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 am

Sun Fin wrote:Thanks Zyzfer :).

I'll start off trying it cold.

How would I go about warming it up without one of the special flask thingies?

Also how big a glass do I want to pour? As if I was drinking wine? Or whiskey? Or port?

You should try on a small bowl, or a tea cup, something round with a size or a chinese tea cup. But its a matter of preference anyway so you can taste what it feels like drinking it like a local japanese :wink:
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:08 am

Cold, pour yourself shots. No need to actually take shots though, I like to sip or do half-shots. Although this is a bit overboard, the shops here in Korea will often serve the sake with a fancy little ice bowl that helps to keep the sake nice and chilled.

Warm, you can probably roll with a little 200 ml glass. I don't know how the shops here actually heat up the sake, they probably use that flask thing you mentioned. I can't really think of a different way to heat it without potentially affecting the integrity of the sake, either. Possibly super-low heat for a slow build to a simmer? Haha. Or do the same method with some other sort of container and don't fuss too much about getting the temperature perfect.

It's worth noting, sake is perfectly serviceable cold. It has a pretty mellow profile and doesn't have a lot of kick like other liquors. Hopefully, you'll find that it goes down fairly smooth.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Drinking sake warm or cold serves two reasons. Save cold sake for good quality sake (which doesn't necessarily mean super expensive, there's some good quality stuff that is inexpensive), and drink warm sake for the low quality stuff.

The heat masks the bad flavour in cheap sake. If you do have cheap sake cold, it kind of tastes like crappy vodka.

But the best sake is Pete's sake. It goes well with sushi. :lol:
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:47 am

Cool, that makes sense. I tried it cooled and it wasn't awful but I can't say I'm excited about trying it again so maybe that's to do with the quality of my product. I'll try heating it next!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Return to The Pub