Online Dating - Anyone tried it?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Online Dating - Anyone tried it?

Unread postby Boydie » Sat May 30, 2015 6:36 pm

I have to say I'm quite curious. If someone had suggested the idea of it a year ago I would of laughed it off. But now, I currently live on my own in a completely different city from my friends and family and now and then it can be quite lonely at times, also adding to it is my career is really male dominated. It's been awhile since I had a girlfriend and had avoided doing so throughout my last few years of studies. I guess I do not have the same confidence I had a few years ago with "getting out there". :lol:
Boydie
Academic

Re: Online Dating - Anyone tried it?

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat May 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Yes, it isn't anything special or weird.

It might feel like a cattle market, both sides can just swipe through photos and profiles with ease. In some ways, people will avoid someone they might have actually connected with in real life, it is also the opposite, they get to meet people that they never could have met.

Just keep in mind this:

Women are going to have a lot more messages to go through, so if they don't reply don't' take it personally. This can feel discouraging when you felt you put some effort in making a personable message that goes beyond "hey" but that's the kicks.

Be clear about what you're after; profiles give you a chance to say explicitly what you're after, if you're just looking to hang out, someone long term or just casual sex.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:36 am

I know my dad tried it when I was...oh, 12 or so (so about 15 years ago), and didn't have success with it. The one piece of advice I would give from his experience is to use a recent photo of yourself (no older than a year, preferably less than 6 months old), and acknowledge that some people use the most flattering photo of themselves, even if it's several years old and no longer an accurate representation of their current looks.

I haven't tried it and had no interest to. I have no idea if you're Christian or not, but my girlfriend has suggested that she would try ChristianMingle.com if she was looking for someone.

Be clear about what you're after; profiles give you a chance to say explicitly what you're after, if you're just looking to hang out, someone long term or just casual sex.

Quoted for truth.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 am

Bush Leagues wrote:I haven't tried it and had no interest to. I have no idea if you're Christian or not, but my girlfriend has suggested that she would try ChristianMingle.com if she was looking for someone.

I haven't used online dating but my football team signed me up to this site in one of the most hilarious pranks I've been on the receiving end of. :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:52 pm

I don't think I would ever try online dating mainly because of the experiences I've had with people pretending to be one thing and definitely being another in real life. I abhor being around liars and people who pretend to be something they are not.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:55 am

SunXia wrote:I don't think I would ever try online dating mainly because of the experiences I've had with people pretending to be one thing and definitely being another in real life. I abhor being around liars and people who pretend to be something they are not.

Definitely easier to misrepresent yourself on the internet than real life. But there's no reason to assume people are automatically hiding things either. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. :D
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:26 am

I met my wife on OkCupid, dated for about three years before getting married. Will have my first wedding anniversary on June 20th. I was always bad with women and being able to get to know my wife first on line made things easier for when we met. Now, I was a member of that site for a good four years before I met her so I wouldn't say that it is the greatest way to meet people, but it did work for me and I love my wife dearly. :D
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:17 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I met my wife on OkCupid, dated for about three years before getting married. Will have my first wedding anniversary on June 20th. I was always bad with women and being able to get to know my wife first on line made things easier for when we met. Now, I was a member of that site for a good four years before I met her so I wouldn't say that it is the greatest way to meet people, but it did work for me and I love my wife dearly. :D

Hey, great story, congratulations! Wishing you many years of happiness! :D

If you don't mind talking about it, how was your experience with OkCupid overall? Would you recommend it to others? Did you try other sites as well?

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Koniec12 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:42 am

Yep, tried it a few times. Sometimes it was fun but sometimes I was very dissapointed. Haven't found a girlfriend yet:(
Koniec12
Tyro

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
SunXia wrote:I don't think I would ever try online dating mainly because of the experiences I've had with people pretending to be one thing and definitely being another in real life. I abhor being around liars and people who pretend to be something they are not.

Definitely easier to misrepresent yourself on the internet than real life. But there's no reason to assume people are automatically hiding things either. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. :D

Of course it's no reason to assume this but having to rush through random streets when you aren't well then grab a buddy from a local house to walk you the rest of the way just to make sure someone you met online is not stalking you is not a great feeling in the slightest.

It is so easy to get to know people and to feel like you know them because you don't have the pressure you have in real life. I know I have social issues and dislike people looking at me, I used to be fine with it but I've become more recluse and shy and a lot less open to people due to my experiences.

My online friend is coming to my hometown for a convention so I'm tempted to meet him, especially since he has a girlfriend so won't make me feel awkward or pressured in that way. i would love to Cosplay but I have heard it can get rough for people cosplaying like people touching in large crowds!! Hate being touched!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to The Pub