Embarrassment From the Past

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Embarrassment From the Past

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:28 pm

It's not so much of embarrassment for me, but rather the difference in attitude for myself. Back then, I tend to focus a lot on researching for the facts and "truths" behind historical events. Right now, I would rather take a less academic approach, and look at things from a more pragmatic and broad stroke approach. In short, I would now ponder over "why" rather than spend time researching on the "how".
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby greencactaur » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:59 am

I wouldn't say they're embarrassing more so that i'm surprised how often my opinions can change. I'll say one thing, but a month later i'll have a different opinion on the subject :shock: .
greencactaur
Master

Unread postby alicec29 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:04 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Yes, certainly. I used to play the King of Fighters series quite a bit, and really got into some of the online communities that sprung up as I discovered the wonders of the Internet. The series has a huge following in Southeast Asia, so I joined some more eccentric communities as well. One of them in particular was actually a forum for women (I'm a dude) who were into the games mutuelles TNS. There were therefore tons of emoticons flying about, and I wanted to fit in since it was an offshoot of a larger forum, so I was fairly prodigious with my use of emoticons.

I also had a brief stint where I did a derivative of the Filipino-style capitalization thing. Although this laid the groundwork for my later use of all lowercase letters when being facetious, so it's not all bad.

Considering I am not even Asian, the feeling that comes to me when I see these goofy old posts is the opposite of fondness. Of course, I imagine I will look back on my current posts in five or 10 years' time and question why I purposefully wrote in such a stiff and jilted manner. I could have written this post in a more direct and straightforward sort of style, but I have been on a "writing bloated crap" kick for a while now.

I sincerely hope you enjoy yourself with your new community. I would like to join a more active one.
alicec29
Tyro

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 pm

Mega Zarak wrote:It's not so much of embarrassment for me, but rather the difference in attitude for myself. Back then, I tend to focus a lot on researching for the facts and "truths" behind historical events. Right now, I would rather take a less academic approach, and look at things from a more pragmatic and broad stroke approach. In short, I would now ponder over "why" rather than spend time researching on the "how".

Great Deer! Whoa, post by 3k royalty :D

I tend to agree with you. The "why" allows for a far more intellectual debate I think.

Facts are always doing to be facts. But at the same time, given how segmented the knowledge base of the community was at the time, I think alot of people (myself included) appreciated alot of that research that you and others did as it taught a lot of people a lot of things. I can't think of many people that absolutely gut me in debates, but you're definitely one of them Chris.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Was flipping through old CA posts, especially ones concerning the discussing the South/the civil war, etc. To be charitable to myself, my views are much more nuanced and to be blunt I frankly just disagree with myself and agree with my (then) opponents. WWD also often showed the patience of a saint, as did the mods. Thought about deleting them all, as they're embarrassing, but I guess thats how you grow.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:29 am

Oof - I just found an old post from 2007 where I predicted that Half-Life 2 would be released for the Wii.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

James wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:I tend to know which ones are my post, it doesn't make it any less embarrassing. So I try not to look at my past posts, it is never a cheery thing to see my more immature times

I definitely don't seek them out.

You know, I kind of think I do seek them out, and i think it's a good thing. Last night I was perusing a bunch of old threads and was reminded just how much of a condescending, arrogant jackhat I could be when i was in my mid-to-late twenties (cue joke about how nothing has really changed). I also wasn't always good at explaining what I really meant.

This made me stop and think a bit as I work with some folks who are in that age group now, and I have on more than a few occasions found myself (silently) being pretty judgmental about some of the things they do, say, believe, etc. Re-acquainting myself with my own, shall we say, less than amazing attitude and behavior gave me some new perspective on these co-workers of mine. It also reminded me a lot of just why I hate it when people are judgmental and gave me pause to reflect on my own lapses and weaknesses in that area.

I try hard not to be because ultimately I think when we judge we aren't really looking to form (a human being's best attempt at being) accurately objective/empathic understanding of people and situations; rather, we are playing a game of superficial comparison/contrast where we juxtapose and project ourselves onto others for two purposes: grouping people and things under/into labels and boxes so we can compartmentalize the world and make it easier on us to process it; and to puff our ego by providing opportunities either for reinforcement ("person X is like me so that makes them good because I'm good") or dismissal ("this person is not like me so they are bad" or 'I cannot understand this therefore it cannot be understood").

Seeing those old posts brought a lot of this back to me and showed me 1) where I had plenty of the same behavior when I was twenty-something and 2) where I still fall down even today. True understanding, i think, requires first knowing ourselves for who and what we are, good and bad and in-between, without any of this comparison/contrast stuff. And if you can become comfortable with yourself for who you are on your own, without reference to others (because none of us is the reference point for reality), then you can acquire real self-confidence. I thought I'd acquired this a long time ago but it seems I've backslid. But if you can acquire this then this wonderful thing happens where you can now see other people/events/situations/places not as emblems of some idea or opinion that we need desperately to either support or denigrate, but rather as real people/things in the real world, with good and bad and in-between.

And when we then can see both ourselves and others in this way, then we stop judging. It doesn't mean we don't have opinions but we form and present and discuss them in a different way - it becomes about the person or thing or idea itself rather than this need to constantly contextualize everything within the fabric of ourselves. Reading a lot of embarrassing old posts really kind of helped me see these things again, understand that my attitude towards some of my younger co-workers is unnecessarily judgmental and unforgiving and hopefully stimulate some positive movement on my part.

So, maybe having one's own immaturity archived permanently online isn't the worst thing ever, after all.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Previous

Return to The Pub